• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hi! Old newbie here....

Eelephant

Good day, all. Cranky, old newbie graybeard from MA Here. :) Was sitting around a while ago and said to myself, "heck with it, imma learn how to solve a Rubik's cube".... so, not knowing any better, off to walmart for an actual rubiks brand cube.

Suffice to say, I'm hooked. I only know the beginners methods so far, and haven't even cracked 2 minutes, but I will.... I figure once I get more comfortable, and can easily, repeatedly, consistently go sub 2 minutes, i'll start learning the more advanced methods. And see how low I can go.

Just placed my first order for some better puzzles, and am more than a little pumped. Got two new 3x3, a 2x2, and a pyraminx on the way. And a 4x4 for my daughter. After I learned my first solve, I taught her, now she is hooked too. She is far more adventurous than I, however, hence her going right up to the 4x4.....

Anyway, other interests: chess, guitar, dogs. Thanks, and have a nice day!!!

YouTube
Visit Channel
Good day, all. Cranky, old newbie graybeard from MA Here. :) Was sitting around a while ago and said to myself, "heck with it, imma learn how to solve a Rubik's cube".... so, not knowing any better, off to walmart for an actual rubiks brand cube.

Suffice to say, I'm hooked. I only know the beginners methods so far, and haven't even cracked 2 minutes, but I will.... I figure once I get more comfortable, and can easily, repeatedly, consistently go sub 2 minutes, i'll start learning the more advanced methods. And see how low I can go.

Just placed my first order for some better puzzles, and am more than a little pumped. Got two new 3x3, a 2x2, and a pyraminx on the way. And a 4x4 for my daughter. After I learned my first solve, I taught her, now she is hooked too. She is far more adventurous than I, however, hence her going right up to the 4x4.....

Anyway, other interests: chess, guitar, dogs. Thanks, and have a nice day!!!
Welcome!

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
Welcome! I just turned 50 myself and we have a small but very active group in the Older Cubers Discussion thread.

I wouldn't bother getting any faster with beginners' method. Beginners' is a great way to learn to solve but if you intend to get faster then you'll just be developing habits that will need to be broken later. The faster you get with beginners', the more resistant you'll likely be to change because the new habits will initially slow you down. I'd learn some variety of 4 look last layer and then start learning F2L as soon as you have that down (this is all assuming you want to stick with CFOP).

Eelephant

Welcome! I just turned 50 myself and we have a small but very active group in the Older Cubers Discussion thread.

I wouldn't bother getting any faster with beginners' method. Beginners' is a great way to learn to solve but if you intend to get faster then you'll just be developing habits that will need to be broken later. The faster you get with beginners', the more resistant you'll likely be to change because the new habits will initially slow you down. I'd learn some variety of 4 look last layer and then start learning F2L as soon as you have that down (this is all assuming you want to stick with CFOP).
Thank you very much for the advice. Truth be told, a little nervous about learning the more advanced methods. It looks very intimidating! there seem to be DOZENS of algs to learn... anyway, thanks again, I'll see if I can find that thread.

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
It looks very intimidating! there seem to be DOZENS of algs to learn... anyway, thanks again, I'll see if I can find that thread.

Just solving was probably intimidating at first, then once you figured it out it's not so hard :). You don't have to learn too many algs for a 4 look last layer. Probably two PLLs and a handful for OLL (many of which are short and easy)-- most or all of which you'll likely continue using even as you get more advanced.

Having fun is all that counts though, and you're winning there. Welcome to our little obsession.