• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Introduction, or reintroduction, IG (I'm Garf)

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Uh, hi. I'm Anthony, but you can call me Garf.
From what I heard, a few days ago I bumped my head really hard and passed out for a day or so. When I woke up I was in the hospital. I didn't know anyone there. The doctor told me I had no injuries, but had suffered amnesia from the knock in the head. anyway, I got home yesterday. Everything is a little fuzzy, but good thing for google auto-fill or else I would not be able to access my devices. And a list of passwords I had made before saved in a google sheet, too.
So how does this relate to solving puzzles? Well when I came downstairs into the basement I saw 11 puzzles sitting on a desk. Most of them were cube-shaped, although one had a weird axis turn that made the puzzle turn into different shapes. 2 more were the shape of dodecahedrons, one was a little larger than the other and had a really weird inscription in the pieces; the other felt really light and small. Then there are 3 3x3x3s, 1 2x2x2, 1 4x4x4, 1 5x5x5, 1 6x6x6, and 1 7x7x7.
I don't remember how long I had each puzzle, or how long I have been solving before I knocked my head. If you guys could help me get reoriented, that would be great. I also don't remember how to solve each puzzle, so some guides would work as well.

WCA
2020WADH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Uh, hi. I'm Anthony, but you can call me Garf.
From what I heard, a few days ago I bumped my head really hard and passed out for a day or so. When I woke up I was in the hospital. I didn't know anyone there. The doctor told me I had no injuries, but had suffered amnesia from the knock in the head. anyway, I got home yesterday. Everything is a little fuzzy, but good thing for google auto-fill or else I would not be able to access my devices. And a list of passwords I had made before saved in a google sheet, too.
Ok, good thing you had those saved, and sorry for your injury! Feel better soon and get WR on Mega now. Take this as a golden opportunity to restart and use a bunch of other people's advice and practice to get better. Get well soon, Anthony! (Eat lasagna, it helps).
So how does this relate to solving puzzles? Well when I came downstairs into the basement I saw 11 puzzles sitting on a desk. Most of them were cube-shaped, although one had a weird axis turn that made the puzzle turn into different shapes.
About that last puzzle, I believe you are talking about a Square-1. Try it! It is actually decently fun with some practice!

2 more were the shape of dodecahedrons, one was a little larger than the other and had a really weird inscription in the pieces; the other felt really light and small.
So, this puzzle is called a Megaminx. anyway, the smaller and lighter puzzle is the Dayan (day-ean) V2 (Version 2) M (Magnetic). Full name, Dayan V2M. The larger one is called the YJ (Brand) YuHu (Name) V2 (Version 2) M (Magnetic). I forgot which one you used to main, but pick whichever one you prefer nowadays. I would also use J Perm's tutorial (first learn a 3x3x3) and then, afterwards, talk to @Timona about learning 4LLL. He can guide you there. (I am noob at Megaminx)
Then there are 3 3x3x3s, 1 2x2x2, 1 4x4x4, 1 5x5x5, 1 6x6x6, and 1 7x7x7.

3x3x3: Learn the beginners method. Aim to be sub-45 seconds and then learn 4LLL. J perm's tutorials work well for 4LLL. Then, I would learn Intuitive F2L, again from Jperm. Aim to be sub-20 seconds with this.

2x2x2: Learn the Ortega method and practice, practice, practice! Again, Jperm works well here, so use him again. Aim to be sub-6, and maybe even sub-5 if possible!

4x4x4: Learn the Yau Method. Again, J perm works very well here. If you can get consistently 20 seconds on the 3x3x3, you can get around 1:15 on the 4x4x4.

5x5x5, 6x6x6, and 7x7x7: Learn the Reduction Method. Again, what a surprise, but J Perm works very well here. As always. If you can be consistently 20 seconds on the 3x3x3, aim to be sub-3 minutes on 5x5, sub-6 minutes on 6x6, and sub-10 minutes on 7x7.

ORDER TO LEARN AND GET GOOD AT:

3x3: Sub-45 (Beginners)
2x2: Sub-15 (Beginners)
3x3: Sub-30 (Beginners + 4LLL)
2x2: Sub-8 (LBL)
3x3: Sub-25 (Beginner F2L + 4LLL)
2x2: Sub-6 (Ortega)
3x3: Sub-20 (Same as sub-25 + practice)
4x4: Sub-1:30 (Yau)
5x5: Sub-3:30 (Redux)
6x6: Sub-7 (Redux)
7x7: Sub-12 (Redux)
Megaminx: Sub-3 (Beginners)
3x3: Sub-18 (Better F2L, 2-Look OLL, 1-Look PLL)
Megaminx: Sub-2 (Beginners + 4LLL, ask @Timona)
Square-One: Sub-45 (Vanderbergh/Lin)
3x3: Sub-15 (2LLL, Advanced F2L)
Megaminx: Sub-1:30 (grind)
5x5: Sub-2 (redux)
4x4: Sub-1 (Yau)
6x6: Sub-5 (Redux)
7x7: Sub-8 (Redux)
2x2: Sub-5 (Ortega)

Then, just try and get back to what you used to average! It will take probably around 6 months to a year. I will be happy to help your journey back in any way, whether it is critiquing, teaching, or anything else.

That was one looooong post.

bulkocuber

Ok, good thing you had those saved, and sorry for your injury! Feel better soon and get WR on Mega now. Take this as a golden opportunity to restart and use a bunch of other people's advice and practice to get better. Get well soon, Anthony! (Eat lasagna, it helps).

About that last puzzle, I believe you are talking about a Square-1. Try it! It is actually decently fun with some practice!

So, this puzzle is called a Megaminx. anyway, the smaller and lighter puzzle is the Dayan (day-ean) V2 (Version 2) M (Magnetic). Full name, Dayan V2M. The larger one is called the YJ (Brand) YuHu (Name) V2 (Version 2) M (Magnetic). I forgot which one you used to main, but pick whichever one you prefer nowadays. I would also use J Perm's tutorial (first learn a 3x3x3) and then, afterwards, talk to @Timona about learning 4LLL. He can guide you there. (I am noob at Megaminx)

3x3x3: Learn the beginners method. Aim to be sub-45 seconds and then learn 4LLL. J perm's tutorials work well for 4LLL. Then, I would learn Intuitive F2L, again from Jperm. Aim to be sub-20 seconds with this.

2x2x2: Learn the Ortega method and practice, practice, practice! Again, Jperm works well here, so use him again. Aim to be sub-6, and maybe even sub-5 if possible!

4x4x4: Learn the Yau Method. Again, J perm works very well here. If you can get consistently 20 seconds on the 3x3x3, you can get around 1:15 on the 4x4x4.

5x5x5, 6x6x6, and 7x7x7: Learn the Reduction Method. Again, what a surprise, but J Perm works very well here. As always. If you can be consistently 20 seconds on the 3x3x3, aim to be sub-3 minutes on 5x5, sub-6 minutes on 6x6, and sub-10 minutes on 7x7.

ORDER TO LEARN AND GET GOOD AT:

3x3: Sub-45 (Beginners)
2x2: Sub-15 (Beginners)
3x3: Sub-30 (Beginners + 4LLL)
2x2: Sub-8 (LBL)
3x3: Sub-25 (Beginner F2L + 4LLL)
2x2: Sub-6 (Ortega)
3x3: Sub-20 (Same as sub-25 + practice)
4x4: Sub-1:30 (Yau)
5x5: Sub-3:30 (Redux)
6x6: Sub-7 (Redux)
7x7: Sub-12 (Redux)
Megaminx: Sub-3 (Beginners)
3x3: Sub-18 (Better F2L, 2-Look OLL, 1-Look PLL)
Megaminx: Sub-2 (Beginners + 4LLL, ask @Timona)
Square-One: Sub-45 (Vanderbergh/Lin)
3x3: Sub-15 (2LLL, Advanced F2L)
Megaminx: Sub-1:30 (grind)
5x5: Sub-2 (redux)
4x4: Sub-1 (Yau)
6x6: Sub-5 (Redux)
7x7: Sub-8 (Redux)
2x2: Sub-5 (Ortega)

Then, just try and get back to what you used to average! It will take probably around 6 months to a year. I will be happy to help your journey back in any way, whether it is critiquing, teaching, or anything else.

That was one looooong post.
Why

Imsoosm

Everything is a little fuzzy, but good thing for google auto-fill or else I would not be able to access my devices. And a list of passwords I had made before saved in a google sheet, too.
If you can't remember all the passwords to all the websites you've signed on, how can you remember the password to your computer???

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you can't remember all the passwords to all the websites you've signed on, how can you remember the password to your computer???
Computer was already signed in. How I do not remember.
Yeah, and for me, I wouldn't tell random strangers online that I lost my memory
For proof, I'm gonna have to need to see that google sheet :)
Naw, that would be bad for me.