• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hi Everyone!

iamatomato123

[CUBE][/CUBE]Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to the forums. Just introducing myself and giving background info.

So I started cubing around 8 months ago, when I got tired of seeing a scrambled Rubik's cube sitting on my shelf for so long. I took it, looked up a tutorial and followed Dan Brown's video to solving the Rubik's Cube. Within an hour, I was able to get all six sides a uniform color, and I was very happy. Kind of.

So I started getting more into this speedcubing thing, where I try and solve the Rubik's cube as fast as possible. After 2 or so months, I started learning F2L and all that stuff, developing into Fridrich's method. I recall my average went up by about 10 seconds when I first tried F2l :p

So, after several months, I was able to bring my average down to a low 30, and that was my first benchmark. I stopped improving. I could get sub 30 solves occasionally, but never consistently a sub 30 average. It was difficult. I looked up tips and learned some PLL algorithms, and eventually, with lots of practice, managed to bring my average down to a low 29.

So sub 20 was easily one of the most difficult barriers I've had so far. I was stuck on it for at least 2 months, until I suddenly got a 19 second average of 5 one day. From there on out, I improved to a low 18, high 17 average, which is where I am now.

So regarding averages for these puzzles, here are some of them:
3x3 single: 9.88 (I've never been able to get a time this low again)
3x3 average of 5: 14.87
3x3 avg of 12: 16.21
3x3 avg of 100: 17.87
2x2 avg of 5: 4.92
2x2 avg of 12: 6.23
4x4 single: 1:02.31
4x4 avg of 5: 1:14.xx
4x4 avg of 12: 1:19.xx
5x5 single: 2:58 (I don't practice 5x5 much)

I've been trying to get into some other puzzles lately. Currently, I own 11 twisty puzzles: Rubik's 3x3, Stickerless Dayan Guhong, YJ Sulong, Moyu Weilong, Moyu Aolong V2(main), Dayan 2x2(main), Moyu Aosu(main), Shengshou 4x4 V5, Florian modded Shengshou 5x5(main), Shengshou Mirror Block, Shengshou Pyraminx

I've really been trying to expand into some more puzzles, but I don't know where to go next. Maybe bigger layered cubes, or some other WCA event? Give me some tips!

iamatomato123

Thanks, what would you recommend as a good megaminx? I've heard Dayan is pretty good, but I'm not too sure about some other ones.

Zyrb

WCA
2010BRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dayan is a solid choice but there are others that may be better for you. I'd suggest looking on here or youtube for reviews, there will be plenty of information on every puzzle.

F2Logan

I own a shenshou megaminx. It is pretty good, and considerably cheap. If you are looking for a really good one, get a dayan stickerless with ridges.

iamatomato123

Yeah, I just looked up a few reviews for Dayan megaminx and it seems pretty good. I might take the time to check some other brands out before making a decision though.