• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hey, this is Kevin from the US

clockface256

Hello everyone!

I have been trying to speed solve for awhile, but haven't practiced like I should, and my brothers has reffered me here to learn more. I am among the few petrus users and have a single record of 30 seconds (which was a fluke will an ll skip) but average closer to 60. I am working on the f2l (mainly steps 1 and 2) and hope that if I can finish those fated I can be sub 30 pretty soon!

acohen527

WCA
2012COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello everyone!

I have been trying to speed solve for awhile, but haven't practiced like I should, and my brothers has reffered me here to learn more. I am among the few petrus users and have a single record of 30 seconds (which was a fluke will an ll skip) but average closer to 60. I am working on the f2l (mainly steps 1 and 2) and hope that if I can finish those fated I can be sub 30 pretty soon!

I use petrus too! Welcome to the forum.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pure Petrus solver? Fantastic! =)
Petrus isn't very widely used in its pure form anymore. The majority of users use either CFOP or the Roux method.
Welcome to the forums! There's a load of great information here on improving your times for 3x3 as well as countless other puzzles, among other things.
Be sure to use the search function before you post threads asking questions. Chances are, the question's already been asked.

~Ranzha

brandbest1

WCA
2011LINB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Pure Petrus solver? Fantastic! =)
Petrus isn't very widely used in its pure form anymore. The majority of users use either CFOP or the Roux method.
Welcome to the forums! There's a load of great information here on improving your times for 3x3 as well as countless other puzzles, among other things.
Be sure to use the search function before you post threads asking questions. Chances are, the question's already been asked.

~Ranzha

Don't forget ZZ :)

HMS

Hey, another Petrus user!

Step 2 is something to practice regularly, spend a good amount of time looking at different tricks you can use to expand your block. I'd also make sure that you work on transitioning between steps 3 and 4, having pauses looking for what block to start with at Step 4 can add a bit to your time. Do slow solves to find other tricks in different points along your speedsolves.

Just to be absolutely sure, are you color neutral?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not the fastest, I average around 25 seconds, these are just my two cents.

clockface256

Hey, another Petrus user!

Step 2 is something to practice regularly, spend a good amount of time looking at different tricks you can use to expand your block. I'd also make sure that you work on transitioning between steps 3 and 4, having pauses looking for what block to start with at Step 4 can add a bit to your time. Do slow solves to find other tricks in different points along your speedsolves.

Just to be absolutely sure, are you color neutral?

DISCLAIMER: I'm not the fastest, I average around 25 seconds, these are just my two cents.

First, thanks jskyler, ill definately do that!

Also, the only time that I am not color neutral is step 4 so there is no pause. The longest pauses are steps 1 and 2 especially if I didn't have the time to look for the best case; AKA the 15 second inspection.

And thanks for the advice on the slow solves. That is what my brow keeps telling me to. XD maybe if enough people do than I will listen better.

Last edited:

clockface256

Welcome! Love your avatar. Data is my favourite character from TNG.

Me too. And I love TNG, Picard is the only character who comes close to Data among my favorites. Though I must admit as I watched the series I thought Wesley would have the coolest episodes and he vanished. I was sad.

WCA
2013LLEW01
Petrus FTW! I hope you stick with it; it isn't represented very well in comps anymore.

My advice is not to discount help threads for other methods just because it isn't for Petrus. Most of the techniques translate very well to other methods.

Welcome! It's good to have you.

HMS

The longest pauses are steps 1 and 2 especially if I didn't have the time to look for the best case
Generally, there's usually a pair either made up or able to be made in one move; I'd go for that one. If there's nothing I can see on the cube, THEN I actually do default to the OBY corner, though I'd like to fix that for myself. As for step 2, there's so much practice time that goes into it to get your times down. If I recall correctly, Josh Larsen (no longer on the forums, he subbed 15 with Petrus for a while) practiced being able to expand the block to any angle, to avoid cube rotations (even from UFR to UBR, I think, meaning you'd have to use the B, D, and L faces to expand...) - I wish we had someone around his speed with Petrus as their main method still on the forum to write one of those Guides to Sub X, as far as I know, there are none still on. (Josh comes to mind, Erik Johnson, Kyle Allaire, maybe Johanne Laire?, but I haven't seen them in a while)
And thanks for the advice on the slow solves. That is what my brow keeps telling me to. XD maybe if enough people do than I will listen better.

They're really helpful, regardless of what method you use, but especially so with Petrus, considering one of the method's claims to fame is supposed to be it's efficiency. You'll find yourself recognizing special cases in speedsolves that can start to shave seconds off your time.

Oh, and since we're talking TNG, I find myself a Geordi fan.