• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hey Everyone!

How do you feel about maths?

• Total voters

Mozza314

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi

My name is Andrew and I'm from southern NSW, Australia. I was first introduced to a solution to the rubik's cube by my cousin a couple of years ago. I soon bought my own cube, and remembered the solution, but I didn't stay at it very long and my all time best only got down to about 2min. About a week ago, I started cubing again, and I'm loving it.

I broke my original cube a few days ago trying to pull it apart to lubricate it, so now I'm using one given to me by a friend of the family, which is working surprisingly well after spraying some silicon spray through the gaps (I'm too afraid of breaking it again!). My average time is about 1:26, but I have had my 10 of 12 average down to 1:19, and my all time best currently stands at 58sec.

I've done about 80cubes/day over the last few days or so, but I'm currently studying for my final high school exams which start in 2 weeks, so it's probably more than I should be doing, not sure how long I'll be keeping it up. After that I hope to stay at it long enough at least to get down to 30sec.

I should be starting an advanced maths degree at university next year. I'm hoping to get an acceptance letter through an early entry program in the next few days. I really really like maths, and actually I'm wondering how many of you on here are much the same, because I'm guessing it correlates pretty strongly with speedcubing.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
I actually would say that speedcubing itself has absolutely nothing to do with math of any type. I believe that one could average 13 seconds without being able to do any math at all, even add or subtract. I could see how it might be somewhat relevant if you were trying to create your own method, in which case probabilities or possible permutations would help to know, but I don't think even then that any advanced math would really be necessary.

I think that the only time that I really think in numbers is when doing a blindfold solve... but really its just as simple as knowing what the different possibilities are, what is the least amount of pieces you can move of each type while leaving the rest of the cube untouched.

People always ask me if the solution has "a lot" to do with math, and I always say that it infact has absolutely nothing to do with math (for me at least).

However, I think a poll like this will show that more people on this forum will be interested in maths than not interested. But I think really thats just because the average person in this forum is probably somewhat more intellectual than the average person on the street. Because the average person would think that the solution to the cube would simply take too long and too much hard work to master, but someone a bit smarter sees a challenge that they really want to conquer and feel they could do.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I actually would say that speedcubing itself has absolutely nothing to do with math of any type.

well yeah, but he actually said:

because I'm guessing it correlates pretty strongly with speedcubing.

correlation does not imply causation. however, the correlation between the two is pretty strong. Even though there is no number crunching involved with cubing, I'm pretty sure that the brain activity while performing the two tasks is essentially the same.

Andrew! welcome to the forums, you are going to have a lot of fun. You will find that most people are both helpful and friendly. If you want to keep it that way, then you should use the search function or look around the speedsolving wiki before asking questions, as almost all of them will have been asked and answered in either place. I also reccommend readin the stickies at the top of each forum and sub-forum, as they will help you with the rules of the forum and will teach of how to embed video, use hyperlinks, etc. in addition to a place of learning, this forum is also a great way to meet new cubers in your area. I know there are quite a few Australian cubers on this forum, although i am not sure what parts of Australia they are from. Lastly, i reccommend participating in the weekly competition. There are no prizes, but its a fun way to see how you measure up against other cubers and how you've improved over time.

Once again, welcome to the forums, i know you'll have a great time.

Ellis

WCA
2008HALL02
correlation does not imply causation. however, the correlation between the two is pretty strong.

yea I guess I really did actually support that claim. Im so used to people having the assumption that solving the cube involves math that I was quick to jump to that conclusion

Mozza314

YouTube
Visit Channel
Ellis said:
But I think really thats just because the average person in this forum is probably somewhat more intellectual than the average person on the street.

Hmmm, there's that, but I think it's more due to being intellectual in a specific way... in an abstract way which is much the same as maths. I agree with what Vault312 said:

Vault312 said:
Even though there is no number crunching involved with cubing, I'm pretty sure that the brain activity while performing the two tasks is essentially the same.

fazrulz said:
mozza, are you able to come to the melbourne competition on the 1st of november?

I'd love to but I can't. It's right the middle of my HSC, which finishes up on 6th November.

Quadrescence

Banned
Math can be related to the cubes if you want it to be. In the case of me, it has lots to do with them, since I'm writing a (I hope) good solver.

But in no way is "traditional solving" really related to math directly.

MistArts

Math can be used to figured out the number of cases of a step or the probability of something you run into.

cubeman34

i dont exactly love it so i put i like it its not like i love to do math home work like look forward to do it i just think its ok

ManuK

I like mathematics.I loved math when i finished school.(Liked probability and stuffs).But lately, i haven't been doing much math.

Last edited:

shafiqdms1

WCA
2008MOHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
math....err... sometimes I hate it (when I don't understand something) but when I understand it then I like it sometimes. Its not really my favorite subject...well...I would probably put it in the least favorite because...I have a horrible grade in that class...its probably because of my teacher, who marks off for everything. Like for example, on a test, my friend was doing a vertical line test and the line didn't completely go through the point and she counted that as long...its soo bizarre, and we have to show our work for everything. If I had a better teacher I would've liked math a whole lot more because I would understand everything...