• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Definitely work on memo first, I use audio for edges and images for corners, are you familiar with this memo technique? Something that helped me was trying to rush my memo, and just doing it over and over again until successes become more frequent. I am definitely not an expert in BLD solving but this is just my experience.
I use audio for edges and images for corners, but should I make a letter-pair system now or later?
Basically what I mean by the letter-pair system is that people use a spreadsheet to write all of their letter pairs.

Brouxt Force

I use audio for edges and images for corners, but should I make a letter-pair system now or later?
Basically what I mean by the letter-pair system is that people use a spreadsheet to write all of their letter pairs.
If you plan on doing anything bigger than 3BLD (bigBLD or MBLD) in the future, it's definitely a good idea to make a list of letter pairs. Even just for 3BLD, it is very useful when you run into difficult letter pairs, as those are hard to come up with on the fly. I personally have compiled my own list, and although I haven't learned the full thing yet (yay procrastination), when I come across pairs I do know, the whole process is just much faster.

So yes, now would be a good idea.

If you plan on doing anything bigger than 3BLD (bigBLD or MBLD) in the future, it's definitely a good idea to make a list of letter pairs. Even just for 3BLD, it is very useful when you run into difficult letter pairs, as those are hard to come up with on the fly. I personally have compiled my own list, and although I haven't learned the full thing yet (yay procrastination), when I come across pairs I do know, the whole process is just much faster.

So yes, now would be a good idea.
Ok, Thanks!

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just looking for a general estimate, how long does it take to learn 3-style corners, and what was your approach to it like? And what were your times and solves like during the process?
It took me two weeks, but that doesn't count the time spent learning how commutators work and whatnot, just learning the comms from a sheet. I learned one set per day, then upped it to two or more sets later on as the sets got smaller. And I practiced the comms I knew over and over again whenever I had a little free time, noting down the ones I forgot if I couldn't immediately look them up. I didn't do any solves until I finished the whole thing, and my times were naturally slow at first, but I was back to normal times within about a month. Edges was a similar experience. The only reason I didn't learn edges right after corners is because I had a couple competitions with blind and wanted to actually be able to solve the puzzle lol.

It took me two weeks, but that doesn't count the time spent learning how commutators work and whatnot, just learning the comms from a sheet. I learned one set per day, then upped it to two or more sets later on as the sets got smaller. And I practiced the comms I knew over and over again whenever I had a little free time, noting down the ones I forgot if I couldn't immediately look them up. I didn't do any solves until I finished the whole thing, and my times were naturally slow at first, but I was back to normal times within about a month. Edges was a similar experience. The only reason I didn't learn edges right after corners is because I had a couple competitions with blind and wanted to actually be able to solve the puzzle lol.
Great, thanks! I have a general understanding if commutators and how to intuitively solve simpler ones, but figured I'd move on to algs now.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes do make a letter pair system and make stuff systematic.
I recommend you check out colpi first for some good letter pairs in a lot of languages.

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could someone do 1 or 2 “example“ bld solves on here where you just post the scramble and letter pairs so I can practice execution? I haven’t had a success but I want to practice memo ing the pairs without having to worry about if I messed something up or not.

Jorian Meeuse

WCA
2022MEEU02
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could someone do 1 or 2 “example“ bld solves on here where you just post the scramble and letter pairs so I can practice execution? I haven’t had a success but I want to practice memo ing the pairs without having to worry about if I messed something up or not.
Do you use J perms letter scheme? Because i can do it but if our letter schemes are different it wouldnt work. Edit: I would also need to know your buffers. Im assuming LUB and UR?

in that case:
L2 R' B2 D2 L2 R F2 D2 F D B U2 L' R2 B R B'
Corners: PC DM BH QG U
Edges: GW VR AE UL CN A

Last edited:

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Do you use J perms letter scheme? Because i can do it but if our letter schemes are different it wouldnt work. Edit: I would also need to know your buffers. Im assuming LUB and UR?

To clarify, J perm teaches the Speffz lettering scheme, which is the most common in BLD (although many people will swap letters like Q or X for something else)

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Caden Fisher

WCA
2022FISH12
YouTube
Visit Channel

in that case:
L2 R' B2 D2 L2 R F2 D2 F D B U2 L' R2 B R B'
Corners: PC DM BH QG U
Edges: GW VR AE UL CN A
I believe I use speffz letter scheme. My alg swaps E and V and for edges I just use T or J perm.
Thanks!

So I average around sub-1:30 on 3BLD, with about 30 seconds for memo and sub-1:00 for execution. If I'm looking to cut down my times, should I ideally work more on faster memo or execution? What should my splits be for like say, sub-1?

Jorian Meeuse

WCA
2022MEEU02
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would argue execution is more important, because the best way to practice whatever things you learned for exec is by applying it in solves, which means you'll automatically practice memo as well. As long as you use audio for edges and have a prepared list of words for corners you should be able to get 10-15 s memo without specific memo practice. For exec, knowing M2 and Orozco is very important, although I assume you know M2 already. If you don't know Orozco yet, learn it. It is faster and makes it easy to do super intuitive 3-style algs you don't have to learn.

I would argue execution is more important, because the best way to practice whatever things you learned for exec is by applying it in solves, which means you'll automatically practice memo as well. As long as you use audio for edges and have a prepared list of words for corners you should be able to get 10-15 s memo without specific memo practice. For exec, knowing M2 and Orozco is very important, although I assume you know M2 already. If you don't know Orozco yet, learn it. It is faster and makes it easy to do super intuitive 3-style algs you don't have to learn.
Ok, thanks! I do use audio for edges, but usually I come up with words for corners on the spot. I do use M2, and plan to start Orozco corners but haven't gotten to it yet. Also, is there a way to use partial Orozco and OP corners? How would that work?

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, thanks! I do use audio for edges, but usually I come up with words for corners on the spot. I do use M2, and plan to start Orozco corners but haven't gotten to it yet. Also, is there a way to use partial Orozco and OP corners? How would that work?
Making a letter pair sheet helped me a lot. And there's no way to use partial Orozco and partial OP as they use different buffers (among other problems). It's definitely possible to learn Orozco in one day though. On the other hand, you can use partial Orozco and partial 3-style, which is part of what makes Orozco good.

Making a letter pair sheet helped me a lot. And there's no way to use partial Orozco and partial OP as they use different buffers (among other problems). It's definitely possible to learn Orozco in one day though. On the other hand, you can use partial Orozco and partial 3-style, which is part of what makes Orozco good.
Awesome, thanks! I didn't realize I could learn Orozco that quickly. I started making a letter pair sheet, but I feel like I kept forgetting the words I chose, because I tried to make them better and more memorable than the ones I came up with on the spot, but they weren't ones that come to mind during a solve. I'm hoping to start incorporating 3-style too, but I was struggling with it so I figured I'd start with Orozco.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome, thanks! I didn't realize I could learn Orozco that quickly. I started making a letter pair sheet, but I feel like I kept forgetting the words I chose, because I tried to make them better and more memorable than the ones I came up with on the spot, but they weren't ones that come to mind during a solve. I'm hoping to start incorporating 3-style too, but I was struggling with it so I figured I'd start with Orozco.
Use https://bestsiteever.ru/colpi/ to get ideas and use Anki to learn them