• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

kake123

WCA
2016SOON01
Just purchased a bunch of wrm 2021s for mbld. Noticed that they repel each other somewhat (magnets).

Did I make a rookie mistake by buying the wrong cube for mbld?

Last edited:

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
I’m trying to figure out the rescramble event. I heard it’s just 3BLD in reverse, but it doesn’t seem to work out. Is there something where it matters if you switch C/W and I/S if they are first or second in the letter pair? And how do you deal with parity? Does it depend on the orientation it was scrambled in?

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
For rescrambling you can memo the cube, then do the execution completely backwards. You'll have to start with the inverse move that would be last in a normal blindsolve of that memo.
If your normal blind solution needs the moves: U L R' D .... U2 R B' D you would do D' B R' U2 ... D' R L' U'
And normally you don't have to think about every move, just switch the letterpairs and their order: If you memorized LT HU RF you will exe it like FR UH TL.
Parity: just "examine" what you do at which point and then do it reverse/inverse. And it should be clear, that if you normally solve edges and then corners you will have to begin with corners.

Just think: you have a scrambled cube and apply the solution to get it solved. If you apply the inverse solution to a solved cube you will get the scrambled cube.
Maybe it helps you!

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
I’m still struggling with rescramble. I scrambled with green front, white on top.
D’ F2 U R2 B2 D2 B2 U’ R2 F2 U2 F’ R2 D U F D’ L R D L’
My orientation is blue front, yellow top. I use Y instead of X.
My memo is:
Edges: AB HE JY NI IB OV
Corners: JE IH PB LU

So I executed
Edges: VO BI IN YJ EH BA
Corners: UL BP HI EJ

Corners were right, but edges were a little off. So I thought maybe when you execute backwards, you need to change the I for S because the I is now section the letter pair and I tried again, but again corners were correct, but edges were off a little. It’s like the I, B and N edges are cycled. Everything else is fine.
What am I doing wrong?

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
Sorry, oneshot, I don't think I can help you there. I have an own blind- and lettersystem, so I don't know about Speffz-letters and usual buffers.
I thought, my (more general) advice should help - at least it did with corners. It should work with edges ... could it be that the reason is that you have NI IB = two "I" after each other, odd? What is it good for? I cannot imagine a system with a letter doubled.
An idea: Take two PLL and two OLL as scramble to get a cube that is scrambled not too bad. Then write down the normal solution move by move and write down the rescrambling solution move by move, too - and compare them.

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01
I’m still struggling with rescramble. I scrambled with green front, white on top.
D’ F2 U R2 B2 D2 B2 U’ R2 F2 U2 F’ R2 D U F D’ L R D L’
My orientation is blue front, yellow top. I use Y instead of X.
My memo is:
Edges: AB HE JY NI IB OV
Corners: JE IH PB LU

So I executed
Edges: VO BI IN YJ EH BA
Corners: UL BP HI EJ

Corners were right, but edges were a little off. So I thought maybe when you execute backwards, you need to change the I for S because the I is now section the letter pair and I tried again, but again corners were correct, but edges were off a little. It’s like the I, B and N edges are cycled. Everything else is fine.
What am I doing wrong?
Did you change both I for S? Executing BS SN is the inverse of NI IB.
It's not about whether I now comes first or second in the letter pair, but that I and S are inverse algorithms of each other.

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
Did you change both I for S? Executing BS SN is the inverse of NI IB.
It's not about whether I now comes first or second in the letter pair, but that I and S are inverse algorithms of each other.
Well, that worked, I’m just not sure why it worked. If the memo was just LN, wouldn’t you just execute NL, not N’L’?
Like, if I is the inverse of S, how is B the inverse of B?
Maybe if I do a bunch more examples, it will start to make sense. But definitely thanks for the help!

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01
Well, that worked, I’m just not sure why it worked. If the memo was just LN, wouldn’t you just execute NL, not N’L’?
Like, if I is the inverse of S, how is B the inverse of B?
Maybe if I do a bunch more examples, it will start to make sense. But definitely thanks for the help!
The algs for all the non M-slice targets are symmetric, meaning that they are inverses of themselves.
They look like this: setup M2 setup'. If you execute them twice, you get back to the original state.

Okopatie

As a beginner to 4BLD, is it better to use U2 and then switch to commutators as I improve, or should I go straight into commutators?

Greenfrog

Hi all,

I'm very new to blind solving. Just wondering if there are any OK alternatives to the Speffz lettering system? Are there any other systems that work with numbers, or any others that are completely different?

Also I'm wondering what are the main decent methods for the actual memorization - I tried the letter pair = word thing but find that horribly difficult.
Any suggestions and advice is appreciated!

Thom S.

Of course you find letter pair difficult, the human mind at most ever tries to abreviate words onto letter pairs, never the other way around.
That's why I(in contrast to Noah) like that there are public letter pair lists - have a look at those every once in a while to learn something new.
Other methods are possible. Earlier BLDers have tried to use methods used for Card Deck memo, but letter pairs, sentences and Roman Rooms seem to have come out on top.

bulkocuber

Can you give me tips on faster memo without audio on edges? I can't memo fast. Also should i start learning audio for edges as partial solves? Because i cannot memo all edges with audio

Pls give tips
No one can do it at first, you just need practice and you'll able to do it. You should do edge-only scrambles so that you can focus on them better. You can also try to progressively increase the number of edges you're trying to memo, so for instance you can start from 4 letters, then move to 6 and 8 and so on until you can do them all in one go.
If you want I can give you more specific tips for audio memo.

bulkocuber

Should I make a story for audio as well? (i know we don't do that with audio memo, I am just confirming)
No you don't make a story out of that. You'll have random syllables and even if you happen to get a real word don't make a story or similar things

AJT17

WCA
2022TELF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I am wanting to learn how to solve the 3x3 blindfolded, and I have been looking on Jperm's website, and when swapping 2 edges with the t-perm I noticed it also affects the corners, and when you do setup moves it would move those edges around, so I was wondering if that actually affects the solve and memorizing the cube.

Imsoosm

So I am wanting to learn how to solve the 3x3 blindfolded, and I have been looking on Jperm's website, and when swapping 2 edges with the t-perm I noticed it also affects the corners, and when you do setup moves it would move those edges around, so I was wondering if that actually affects the solve and memorizing the cube.
Yes, it does affect the corners. You always have both even or both odd numbers of corners and edges. Say there are 8 edges and 10 corners. If you do 8 times T perm, the corners are still solved. If you have 9 edges and 11 corners, then you do parity alg.

There are no algorithms that only swap 2 pieces. That's only possible on a even numbered cube starting from 4x4.

And yes, setup moves do affect the edges. That's why you undo setup moves.