• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You have to solve edges before corners if you want to do the trick. If you do the corners first and also supply the trick I mentioned, you will end up swapping the A/Q and D/E edges. In the end, 3 pieces will always be swapped if you use your method.
If you don't want to switch, I supplied the RUF Ra-Perm that swaps without doing an AUF first.
If you memo Corners, then edges, then solve edges, then corners, and also have parity: at the end of your memo, you will have an odd number of corners and an even number of edges.

Ahibu007

Someone please help me. How can I swap edge position between CE and OW?
In m2 method.

In my cube ABCD are uper position, EFGH front and UVWX are down, MNOP are back.

theos

WCA
2017LAWR04
Someone please help me. How can I swap edge position between CE and OW?
In m2 method.

In my cube ABCD are uper position, EFGH front and UVWX are down, MNOP are back.
If I understand correctly you're looking for algs to swap the buffer, presumably (DF), with targets on the M-slice. The M-slice algs I use:
  • UB: M2
  • BU: (U M')*3 (U M) (U M')*4
  • UF: U2 M' U2 M' [swap with DB if 2nd in pair]
  • FU: D M' (U R2 U') M (U R2 U') D' M2 [swap with BD if 2nd in pair]
  • DB: M U2 M U2 [swap with UF if 2nd in pair]
  • BD: M2 D (U R2 U') M' (U R2 U') M D' [swap with FU if 2nd in pair]

BadSpeedCuber

with orozco for edges, when will i know, when finished memoing, how will i know what edge, UF or UR, will be flipped when it comes time to flip an edge in a solve
I keep getting frustrating DNFs with UF and UR swapped every few solves when i have a flipped edge, and its beginning to get on my nerves.

BadSpeedCuber

with orozco for edges, when will i know, when finished memoing, how will i know what edge, UF or UR, will be flipped ("twisted") when it comes time to flip an edge in a solve
I keep getting frustrating DNFs with UF and UR flipped (twisted if you will) every few solves when i have a flipped edge, and its beginning to get on my nerves.

Last edited:

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
I need help with knowing when I’m done with 4BLD edges. I knew there’s some formula, so if someone could give that to me that would be great. But is there some way figure out what hasn’t been memorized yet, because now when it seems short I have to think, “did I do A, did I do B…”. Or is it just a feeling you get with enough practice that you kind of see what’s already solved as you’re memorizing? Does that make sense?

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01
I need help with knowing when I’m done with 4BLD edges. I knew there’s some formula, so if someone could give that to me that would be great. But is there some way figure out what hasn’t been memorized yet, because now when it seems short I have to think, “did I do A, did I do B…”. Or is it just a feeling you get with enough practice that you kind of see what’s already solved as you’re memorizing? Does that make sense?
The formula goes sth like: number of targets = 23 + number of cycle breaks - number of solved pieces

I used to put a finger on each edge that I have memorized. But most people only have ten fingers. So, once I memorized both pieces of an edge pair, I removed the finger and was (most of the time) still able to remember it, because I already went there twice. Maybe that helps.

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
Habsen's formula is correct. My way to memo wings (and the other sets) as a slowcuber:
- before memorizing the wings I count all the wings, that are already solved
(this takes a bit of time, but I noticed, that I can memorize faster, when I don't have the fear, I could miss something)
- with the number of solved wings I can "calculate" the expected number of targets (23 minus solved wings)
- when I start the first new cycle, I put the right foot on its toes, for the 2nd new cyle I do this with the left foot, for the third cylce both feet
- therefore I can keep track of the numbers of additional cycles and the expected targets pretty easy
- my route / roman room has 6 places where I put 2 letterpairs each (= total of 24 letters); with 23 targets I should be in the last place with three letters - another check.
- I'm not good in keeping track of all already memorized wings. I have a couple of wings I would start a new cycle with (those with easy setups). With a bit of practice I would say that these wings are more present in my mind when I have already memorized them. Could be that I think something like "oh, this easy wing is gone if I have to start a new cycle". With my "worst" wings to solve it is quite the same, perhaps I think like "Attention, a difficult wing" while memorizing it. If I have to start a new cycle then I go through these targets first. But sometimes I have no clue and then I have to put fingers on the cube (like most people I just have 10 of them so I go through the memo first for the 8 wings on the top, then on the bottom and then in the middle).
- my biggest problem is that I often memorize the letter of the neighbour. I don't have a good concept against that except being concentrated or do a recall at the cube (which takes a lot of time) ...
- a minor problem is that I sometimes don't see all solved wings before I start memorizing. If I end up with, let's say, 22 letters instead of the excepted 23 I check the cube again for already solved wings. Yes, I waste some time to know the "probable" number of solved wings, cycles and targets, but I quite often make mistakes and then it is easier to realise that there must be a mistake and to find it.

OK, maybe one or two things could help you or give you inspiration for own ideas.

PiKeeper

WCA
2021KLIN02
How did you guys start memorizing corners? I find it difficult to come up with images for about a third of the letter pairs, and I don't know how to create a story with them.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How did you guys start memorizing corners? I find it difficult to come up with images for about a third of the letter pairs, and I don't know how to create a story with them.
I have a memo card for your troubles. Basically, I tried finding a word that I know and if I didn't know a good memorable word, then I would research and for each result that I found, I would see if it was memorable, and if it was, then I would use it.

bulkocuber

then "just" do a list of all your letter pair words and try to use the same word every time you come across the same letter pair.
To create a story you simply have to be creative: you can make it really strange and funny so that it is easier to remember. You can make your own rules if it makes it easier to create a story: for instance, you can establish that the first word is the main character, the second one is the object he has, the third is the place where he is, the forth one can be the character he meets, etc.

KAINOS

Has anyone proposed a variant of Orozco edges where you use UF-BU buffer-helper combo and cancel M moves between comms? For example to solve UF-RF-LB the solution becomes [U R' U': M'] [U' L U: M] which would be [U R' U', M'] [M', U' L U] in full Orozco.
The point is that what this method becomes is basically M2 but with alternating M'/M moves and UF buffer, which is objectively better buffer for 3-style than DF. To put it differently, you can take advantage of UF buffer comms with workload on your brain that is no more than what it takes to learn M2.
I used this method before switching to full Orozco, and I really think it's a better alternative for M2, especially for those who are looking to learn full 3-style eventually.
And even if you don't plan to learn 3-style, I still think it is better since M/M' moves are faster than M2. (duh)
The only downside I found was that you may mess up and do the wrong M move, but coming from experience it wasn't very hard to keep track of which one you should do once you get into the rhythm.
Really, it's just Orozco with slight modifications, but if anyone else hasn't come up with it yet, I'm calling it MSwing. (because the M slice swings back and forth!)

Last edited:

Timona

YouTube
Visit Channel
Does it help to have a fixed orientation which you memo and exec so it's easier to track and memo, since you can recog colour stickers? Like if you're on White trope Green front, anytime you're doing memo, you're brain instantly tells you that the Blue sticker of Orange Blue goes to R

bulkocuber

Does it help to have a fixed orientation which you memo and exec so it's easier to track and memo, since you can recog colour stickers? Like if you're on White trope Green front, anytime you're doing memo, you're brain instantly tells you that the Blue sticker of Orange Blue goes to R
I didn't even know that not having a fixed orientation was a thing

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, generally (if not every single) most blinders solve in a fully fixed orientation.
The benefits of neutrality are severely outweighed by the benefits of a familiar orientation, along with not needing to make a decision about which orientation holds the most benefits with the timer running - while it may cost you a handful of moves, it saves many seconds. And with the WRs closing in on the 10 second barrier, that's pretty significant!

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
I’m trying to switch to to the method where you memo corners first and if there’s parity, when you memo edges, you switch UB and UL to avoid doing the parity alg. Is there some way to generate scrambles that have parity? Some app or website?
Thanks!

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I’m trying to switch to to the method where you memo corners first and if there’s parity, when you memo edges, you switch UB and UL to avoid doing the parity alg. Is there some way to generate scrambles that have parity? Some app or website?
Thanks!
If the scramble has an odd number of quarter face turns, there will be parity. You could count the quarter turns in the scramble before you start and do any quarter turn if there's no parity. I'm not sure of a website that specifically gives you scrambles with parity though.

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
If the scramble has an odd number of quarter face turns, there will be parity. You could count the quarter turns in the scramble before you start and do any quarter turn if there's no parity. I'm not sure of a website that specifically gives you scrambles with parity though.
Awesome. That helps. I did almost have a meltdown because trying this new way I knew there was parity and when I memorized edges, there was an even number and I was thinking it should be one left over like the way I had been doing it…

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I need some help making a colpi like website for letter quads. (Letter quads is a memo system where we have a single image for 4 stickers/targets, been developing since 2017 and recently completed it for a mix of english/hindi/marathi)

Is anyone who is good with coding and knows a bit about blind willing to help?