• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm going to assume that is speffz. I treated it as follows: When the first letter of the letterpair is FU/BD (your I/S) then you memo I/S. When it is the second letter in the letterpair, memo S/I. So you would then change the letter to the opposite one. During exec, you just exec whatever letters you get, no need to worry the weird things happening with the slices and those pieces. Same goes for UF and DB btw. Keep same for 1st, change if 2nd in pair.

Delta Phi

WCA
2014DEYA01
I'm trying to get into blind, I've been practicing with OP/OP, and I was wondering if it is reasonable to learn 3-style edges before learning 3-style corners. Most tutorials for 3-style suggest learning corners first, but I am pretty confident in my OP corners, while OP edges have been causing me some problems with execution, and instead of learning M2 I thought it would be better to just get right into 3-style. Is there a good reason I shouldn't do that?

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can definitely do that! It might be a bit of a hassle, and some assisting methods exist that you could use temporarily whilst making the move to 3 style edges. (Some consist of 3 style algs anyway so its nothing new really, just the concept.) This is also optional, you could directly make the move, perhaps taking an intuitive approach. Go ahead and good luck. Be sure to come chat in the #bld channel on the Speedsolving Discord if you would like. We have a couple of friendly people willing to help and give feedback/discuss the topic. :)

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think an 82 point MBLD is the highest possible.
The 1 hour limit starts getting stressful for such high number of cubes. The person who is attempting 82 consistently mostly should be a full time MBLDer.
So, unless MBLD event finds a lot of sponsors and the person pursuing it does not get a decent stipend, doing insane amounts of work to get to 80+ points is super tough.

But again I may be wrong, and it is possible to do so, just purely out of passion.

dudefaceguy

https://forum.artofmemory.com/t/limits-of-mbld-event/58113

What do you guys think is the limit for the MBLD event? Is it more than 75 points? Will double of Maskow ever be possible?
"I really think that if mbld had as many people dedicated to practicing it as say, marathon running does, the world record would probably be like 100ish cubes sub-hour by now. And that's not hyperbole." -Graham Siggins from here: https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/interview-with-graham-siggins.77427/

That's 36 seconds per cube - very fast but not technically impossible. Reviewing memo for accuracy is the problem. 60 cubes is 60 seconds per cube obviously, and top MBLDers review multiple times during their memo phase. Perhaps 36 seconds per cube is possible with a single review of all cubes. If you can execute and memo in 12 seconds each, that still leaves time for a full review. So, it seems possible to me.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
"I really think that if mbld had as many people dedicated to practicing it as say, marathon running does, the world record would probably be like 100ish cubes sub-hour by now. And that's not hyperbole." -Graham Siggins from here: https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/interview-with-graham-siggins.77427/

That's 36 seconds per cube - very fast but not technically impossible. Reviewing memo for accuracy is the problem. 60 cubes is 60 seconds per cube obviously, and top MBLDers review multiple times during their memo phase. Perhaps 36 seconds per cube is possible with a single review of all cubes. If you can execute and memo in 12 seconds each, that still leaves time for a full review. So, it seems possible to me.
Yes I agree, according to Graham's stats, currently 36 seconds/sec is possible for mini attempts up to 9 cubes.

The thing is, it gets exponentially tougher to maintain the review pace if the attempt is more than 10 minutes, and upto 1 hour, it is better to make attempt less stressful and do more reviews,

I do think 100 cubes is possible, but MBLD is still new to the world as compared to marathon. Lot of theory and techniques have been developed over 2k years. Also genetics do play a role in marathon as Kenya athletes dominate over others in the field. Till now MBLD is based on good 3-style technique and hard work.

If factors like genetics, and high order techniques like letter quads decide higher scores, it is just insane by current understanding. Someone has to build an incentive to practice MBLD with full focus. If a billionaire invests in a promising kid, the kid can make a career in MBLD. But the question is that without coaching improving is hard, especially if you hit a wall.

So, just for fun, I make a parallel situation scenario, where maybe in 2050 if WCA still exists, Graham or a top MBLDer will coach a promising kid. And also there will be lot of money put into the effort by the government or a private billionaire, and we have marathon class MBLDer by the end of the century.

But again, I can be wrong, pure motivation plays a role too, and if a person can cover his food needs and shelter for next 10 years without trying, and focus on MBLD, that focus can be achieved, U R E2 F U2 M' U M U F' E2 R' U'.

Rubuscu

I have a huge problem in getting fast at blindfolded 3 by 3, and that's my memorization. My memorization takes about 3 times my execution time. What can I do to memorize faster and more effectively in the first time so that I don't have to review it before starting? (I use M2 for edges and Old Pochmann for Corners).

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a huge problem in getting fast at blindfolded 3 by 3, and that's my memorization. My memorization takes about 3 times my execution time. What can I do to memorize faster and more effectively in the first time so that I don't have to review it before starting? (I use M2 for edges and Old Pochmann for Corners).
Getting good in memorisation is a different skill in itself. One way in which you can make your memo process more solid is to make an excel sheet of all the letter pairs that you use. In that way, there will be no uncertainty when you start tracing the cube in a real solve.

Second is to just try to go slow with memorisation and construct proper sentences with the letter pairs you get. The more practice of memo you do, the more fluent you get in this process.

Lastly, if you get tired from a session of 3BLD, you can still practice making sentences from letter pairs using this tool, https://bestsiteever.ru/memotest/.

Happy memorising, E' r U S U' M F E' F' R' E!

dudefaceguy

Getting good in memorisation is a different skill in itself. One way in which you can make your memo process more solid is to make an excel sheet of all the letter pairs that you use. In that way, there will be no uncertainty when you start tracing the cube in a real solve.

Second is to just try to go slow with memorisation and construct proper sentences with the letter pairs you get. The more practice of memo you do, the more fluent you get in this process.

Lastly, if you get tired from a session of 3BLD, you can still practice making sentences from letter pairs using this tool, https://bestsiteever.ru/memotest/.

Happy memorising, E' r U S U' M F E' F' R' E!
There's also an Android app called MemoGenerator that creates memo lettering. I sometimes use this for mental practice without a cube, such as when I'm in bed before falling asleep.

Rubuscu

I do not use the Specffz Lettering Scheme for memorizing, since I think I am better at my own Memorization Scheme. Can this be the problem in my memorization?