• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there an agreement on what is the best buffer for bigBLD centers? I know for 3BLD UFR/UF is considered optimal, so I want to use Ufr for x-center and either Uf or Ur for +-center to make it consistent with other piece types. Does anyone know if these buffers are good or bad?
For bigBLD it is more tougher to say which buffer is better. It is best if all of them near the UF spot so that we can gen nice comms which has fast, and also we can start tracing quickly when we pick up the puzzle. Personally I feel if you are using UF/UFR for 3x3 you can try switching to UFr, Uf,UF,UFR,Ufr for 5x5 blindfold event. Most of the comms are intuitively as the alg generator for 5x5s are super slow and not optimal yet (as of 2020).

MJS Cubing

WCA
2019SULL02
YouTube
Visit Channel

Just do a little google search and there will be lots more resources.

D

Deleted member 54663

I just learnt 3bld, and can do a solve with the method, but with my eyes open. If I write down the letters, I can solve all the edges blindfolded except maybe when the buffer turns solved and I can't remember where the other unsolved pieces are. What can I do for this?

Llewelys

Put your fingers on the pieces as you get to them: unsolved pieces are the ones you aren't touching. As you get better and better, you won't need to do that anymore.

D

Deleted member 54663

I finally got edges done on 3bld, and can do them with 1 minute memo and about 1 minute execution. Any tips for corners? (OP/OP)

D

Deleted member 54663

Do you know all the buffers and stuff like that? If so, just do a few sighted just-corners solves, then try doing a 2x2 blindfolded, then move on to doing a whole 3x3.
I can solve it with my eyes open and I know the method quite well, but memo is messed up for me since whenever the buffer piece ends up in the buffer location, I have to chose another one, and I forget where the solved pieces are. I can do 2bld, but 3x3 edges blind is easier for me. Well I guess if I practice it will come to me.

DNF_Cuber

I can do 3 style corners(intuitively) now, and plan to learn the edges soon. if I finish learning edges in a week, what is a realistic timeframe i could be sub one minute 3bld in?

Skewbed

WCA
2015LYON01
How does parity work with 3 style? I learnt the corners and I am getting the buffer swapped w/ a different piece every time. Is there a way I can do it without a bunch of algs?
For 3 style parity, one way is to always add the same two targets to the end of corners and edges to make them even, and then use a parity alg at the end that works with the two you chose. This makes it so you only need to learn 1 alg, but the downside is you have to do another 3 cycle.

If you are doing 3 style, you should probably use a parity alg for each possible corner that was last in the memo, so about 20 easy algs. They are easy because most are common algs or setups to other algs.

Lol e7dux

3x3 Blindfolded
When planning, how do ik if i am hitting the buffer position early or am done with all the edges. (My buffer is B) using old poachman. Basically how do ik if i need to start a new cycle or am done with all tje edges

Last edited:
WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3 Blindfolded
When planning, how do ik if i am hitting the buffer position early or am done with all the edges. (My buffer is B) using old poachman. Basically how do ik if i need to start a new cycle or am done with all tje edges
If the number of pieces (11 for 3x3 edges, 7 for corners, since you don't count the buffer) + # of new cycles - # of pieces solved - # of letters in your memo = 0

So for example if I had one solved edge at the beginning of the solve and memorized 8 letters, 11 - 1 - 8 = 2, so I would need to start a new cycle