• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

edudegomes

Hello guys, I'm a beginner speedcuber and I want to know the best 3x3 blindfolded method for a begginer. Thanks!

dudefaceguy

You can also try learn 3 style intuitively as your first method. It just takes some more effort but 3 style is the best blind method. Also, I'm sure it was not necessary to create a new thread for just this question, you should have asked in the Blindfolded Help Thread or One Answer BLD Questions
I learned intuitive 3 style as my first blind method, since I'm an intuitive cuber and I use a lot of commutators generally. I also don't know any CFOP algs so OP would have entailed learning more new concepts than learning 3 style. Here's my guide:

But it depends on your goals. I suggest starting with the method that you eventually want to use. If you are sure that you eventually want to learn 3 style, just start with 3 style. You only need to learn 8 commutators to start with, and you can solve everything using conjugates and mirrors.

If you want to learn 3BLD as fast as possible using CFOP algs, and you don't intend it to be your main event, then just use OP. You can easily get sub-1-minute using OP for corners and M2 for edges, so there is no reason to learn 3 style unless you either 1) want to be world class or 2) think commutators are really fun. I love commutators, so I started with 3 style. I personally recommend it, since it's incredibly fun.

Whichever execution method you choose, you will have to invest a lot of work in memorization to get fast. You can use the same memo methods for all 3BLD execution methods.

edudegomes

I'm a beginner speedcuber and I want to know the best blindfolded method for beginners. Thanks!

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Check out the book Effortless Mastery by Kenny Warner. It's all about how to practice and perform - the context is music, but it also applied to any other performance and practice, such as cubing. It seems like many cubers "practice" by just doing a lot of solves, which is not the most effective method.

I took a class with Kenny Warner, but never actually read the book - maybe I should go back and do that. The main insight I'm thinking of is the difference between practice and performance.
The book sounds interesting. Reminds me of Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin. Ever read it?

@NevEr_QeyX i think @PetrusQuber is giving good advice. I think you should just slow down. You clearly CANT perform memo and execution as fast as you say you can since you have so many DNFs. Focus on the quality of the solves with time as no object.

Last edited:

dudefaceguy

The book sounds interesting. Reminds me of Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin. Ever read it?

@NevEr_QeyX i think @PetrusQuber is giving good advice. I think you should just slow down. You clearly CANT perform memo and execution as fast as you say you can since you have so many DNFs. Focus on the quality of the solves with time as no object.
I haven’t read that one, but the basic point made in many other books as well. I recently read “Mookwalking with Einstein” which is about memory sports. It briefly discusses practice techniques and the importance of analysis and focus.

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
Alright so...

I have been learning 3x3 Blindfolded 3-style for about 4 months.

I learned Eka edges, and some extra algs for the A and D comm sets. I learned the A, B, and D sets for corner comms, and set up like Eka. I feel comfortable executing every single comm.

I haven't gotten a single success yet. Period. After a few hundred attempts with this "3-style", I haven't been able to get more than maybe half the cube solved. No matter what I do. I know to undo the setup moves, and turn slow, and memo correctly but no matter what I do, I still screw up every time somehow.

Sighted, the comms do what they are supposed to. The setup moves are easy, and I barely have to think about them.

So what I'm asking is....

....is this whole endeavor even worth it? Is 3-style even worth it? If I'm going to have such frustration over this, then is it even worth it? Because M2/OP is looking real nice right now....

dudefaceguy

Alright so...

I have been learning 3x3 Blindfolded 3-style for about 4 months.

I learned Eka edges, and some extra algs for the A and D comm sets. I learned the A, B, and D sets for corner comms, and set up like Eka. I feel comfortable executing every single comm.

I haven't gotten a single success yet. Period. After a few hundred attempts with this "3-style", I haven't been able to get more than maybe half the cube solved. No matter what I do. I know to undo the setup moves, and turn slow, and memo correctly but no matter what I do, I still screw up every time somehow.

Sighted, the comms do what they are supposed to. The setup moves are easy, and I barely have to think about them.

So what I'm asking is....

....is this whole endeavor even worth it? Is 3-style even worth it? If I'm going to have such frustration over this, then is it even worth it? Because M2/OP is looking real nice right now....
Jake Klassen says no, it is not worth it.

Unless you are planning to be world class, or you really enjoy commutators (me), M2/OP is perfectly fine. The point is to have fun.

But I happen to think that 3 style is super fun, so to me yes it is worth it. You should be getting some successes at this point. Have you tried doing the same scramble over and over again until you succeed? I found that to be helpful in diagnosing errors.

VIBE_ZT

WCA
2018TRUD02
Jake Klassen says no, it is not worth it.

Unless you are planning to be world class, or you really enjoy commutators (me), M2/OP is perfectly fine. The point is to have fun.

But I happen to think that 3 style is super fun, so to me yes it is worth it. You should be getting some successes at this point. Have you tried doing the same scramble over and over again until you succeed? I found that to be helpful in diagnosing errors.
I love comms! Everything about them is great!

I would love to be good at blind, yeah. Not world-class but... Good.

...i have never tried that before, I'll admit. I didn't think of that. I think I'll do that.

...but honestly, now that I think about it, maybe M2/OP is going to be better for me. Being stressed out and frustrated by something like this is not worth it for me, especially considering I don't want to be world-class. I mean yeah, I could keep trying over and over again like I have been, but... I'm not sure if it would even be worth it for me anymore. Idk.

dudefaceguy

I love comms! Everything about them is great!

I would love to be good at blind, yeah. Not world-class but... Good.

...i have never tried that before, I'll admit. I didn't think of that. I think I'll do that.

...but honestly, now that I think about it, maybe M2/OP is going to be better for me. Being stressed out and frustrated by something like this is not worth it for me, especially considering I don't want to be world-class. I mean yeah, I could keep trying over and over again like I have been, but... I'm not sure if it would even be worth it for me anymore. Idk.
3 style will still be here for you if you take a break. And comms will still be fun :)

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I know 2BLD, and I'd say I have about a 70%-80% success rate. I think I have all of the setup moves for edges down for 3BLD, but the issue I'm having is just not being able to remember my whole memo. How should I do this?
Make words from pairs of letters, make those words into a story (as much as possible) and review, review, review

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello guys! I have a question related to 3 blind memo, I have audio edges and one look them but the problem I face sometimes is that some of those pairs sound alike sometimes and I tend to mess them up during execution. I there something that I could do to prevent that?

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello guys! I have a question related to 3 blind memo, I have audio edges and one look them but the problem I face sometimes is that some of those pairs sound alike sometimes and I tend to mess them up during execution. I there something that I could do to prevent that?
Find the ones that mess you up and change them to something else, even if it's completely arbitrary. As an example, AW and AU might make the same sound (short o) but you can use that sound for AW and make AU "gold" (which is what I do). In case you didn't know, AU is the chemical symbol for gold, so it makes sense as a stretch. Also, gold is only one syllable so it doesn't take any longer to say it in your head. Anyway, my advice is to find the letter pairs that are problems and find something to replace them.

WCA
2017BAIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Find the ones that mess you up and change them to something else, even if it's completely arbitrary. As an example, AW and AU might make the same sound (short o) but you can use that sound for AW and make AU "gold" (which is what I do). In case you didn't know, AU is the chemical symbol for gold, so it makes sense as a stretch. Also, gold is only one syllable so it doesn't take any longer to say it in your head. Anyway, my advice is to find the letter pairs that are problems and find something to replace them.

Oh thanks! That "gold" Trick has some potential to improve my memo. Also is there some sort of list available, specifically regarding for audio letter pairs? I have a list myself which is very much flexible but I use that mainly for my corner memo.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh thanks! That "gold" Trick has some potential to improve my memo. Also is there some sort of list available, specifically regarding for audio letter pairs? I have a list myself which is very much flexible but I use that mainly for my corner memo.
I don't know of any audio-specific lists, but you can try regular letter pair docs. Max Hilliard's has almost all one-syllable words so that'll work well as a starting point at least. Other 3-style docs with letter pairs can work too.