• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys, haven't been on this forum in maybe 5-7 years? But I'm dabbling a bit with getting back into cubing, more specifically 3BLD which is one of the events I never put any real time into. I hope to learn 3 style. I saw Jperm's Orozco/Eka tutorial. What would be the best way to transition to full 3 style from Orozco? Some of the Eka solutions seems very slow/inefficient. I was thinking of using Orozco/Eka and slowly add UFR -> UFL -> target algs to the UFR -> URB -> target algs I already know for Orozco and then add UFR -> ULB -> target, etc.

Let me know if this is a bad approach and/or there are some good resources that go over this process. Thanks!

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi guys, haven't been on this forum in maybe 5-7 years? But I'm dabbling a bit with getting back into cubing, more specifically 3BLD which is one of the events I never put any real time into. I hope to learn 3 style. I saw Jperm's Orozco/Eka tutorial. What would be the best way to transition to full 3 style from Orozco? Some of the Eka solutions seems very slow/inefficient. I was thinking of using Orozco/Eka and slowly add UFR -> UFL -> target algs to the UFR -> URB -> target algs I already know for Orozco and then add UFR -> ULB -> target, etc.

Let me know if this is a bad approach and/or there are some good resources that go over this process. Thanks!
Welcome back! Can't help you too much, I can barely do BLD, but, ah, @Dylan Swarts ?

Dylan Swarts

WCA
2017SWAR03
YouTube
Visit Channel

I used Orozco for almost a year, and enjoyed it very much, it is truly also a great way to easily (and slowly if preferred) transition to 3 style, both for corners and edges, or either. As you might know, Orozco is one set of 3 style comms, all of which include the sticker UBR (or BU for edges) Anyway, let me just go over the entire approach I took/ or would recommend to take.
Learn Orozco (or Eka, whatever)
Then either learn some easy comms you figure out on your own, or are just very easy like [R U R', D], or start learning a set and implement that into your solves.
Basically just continue learning comms and then use them in your solves, there actually isn't a lot to say about it haha.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used Orozco for almost a year, and enjoyed it very much, it is truly also a great way to easily (and slowly if preferred) transition to 3 style, both for corners and edges, or either. As you might know, Orozco is one set of 3 style comms, all of which include the sticker UBR (or BU for edges) Anyway, let me just go over the entire approach I took/ or would recommend to take.
Learn Orozco (or Eka, whatever)
Then either learn some easy comms you figure out on your own, or are just very easy like [R U R', D], or start learning a set and implement that into your solves.
Basically just continue learning comms and then use them in your solves, there actually isn't a lot to say about it haha.
Although obviously every helper can work, the best one should be used, so small correction *UB instead of BU.

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Orozco is one set of 3 style comms, all of which include the sticker UBR (or BU for edges)
Although obviously every helper can work, the best one should be used, so small correction *UB instead of BU.

Just to be clear, I am currently intending to use UF and URF buffers (and UR and UBR helpers for Orozco). Should I be using a different buffer?

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just to be clear, I am currently intending to use UF and URF buffers (and UR and UBR helpers for Orozco). Should I be using a different buffer?
UF and UFR are indeed the best buffers. As helpers for Orozco you should use UB and UBR.
To be fair if you learn 3-style anyway, the choice of helper doesn't matter too much.
UB gives you the fastest comms.
BU is probably the easiest to learn because they're all very similar (M or M' interchange, 3 move insert), plus they work very well for 4BLD and 5BLD too (idk if you do Big Blind too, just in case).
UR is not the fastest, and (imo) somewhat harder to learn than UB or BU. It's a very useful comm set however if you ever want to do Multiblind (in case of parity, you'd append an UR comm after edges so that UF and UR are swapped).

Now you have all the information and you decide based on your situation. :)

NevEr_QeyX

I've done 40+ attempts and only 3 of them were successes! I use M2/Orozco, and I average 1:50. Even when I safety my solves I get DNFs. Is there a practice technique I could use to get more successes? I'm getting pretty demotivated so I'm willing to try anything at this point

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I've done 40+ attempts and only 3 of them were successes! I use M2/Orozco, and I average 1:50. Even when I safety my solves I get DNFs. Is there a practice technique I could use to get more successes? I'm getting pretty demotivated so I'm willing to try anything at this point

Are you messing up memo or exec?

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
When do attempts it's usually a 50/50 split of both.

For memo, try to go safer and review more. Make sure you're making images and not memorizing letters. If you have to at first, use Roman Rooms

For exec, practice your setup moves, do sighted solves. Use a trainer to give you a scramble and the memo so you can just do exec

NevEr_QeyX

For memo, try to go safer and review more. Make sure you're making images and not memorizing letters. If you have to at first, use Roman Rooms

For exec, practice your setup moves, do sighted solves. Use a trainer to give you a scramble and the memo so you can just do exec
I'm not a beginner, I can easily memo all the letter pairs and do visual and audio memo for corners and edges respectively. I have no idea what the problem is but I CAN'T GET A POOPIN' SUCCESS. My memo time is 20-13 seconds for corners and 40-30 for edges, my execution is pretty good I think.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not a beginner, I can easily memo all the letter pairs and do visual and audio memo for corners and edges respectively. I have no idea what the problem is but I CAN'T GET A POOPIN' SUCCESS. My memo time is 20-13 seconds for corners and 40-30 for edges, my execution is pretty good I think.
Well, it’s clearly not very good and you are a beginner if you’re getting only 3 successes every 40 attempts. Slow down. It’s like people saying work on movecount before TPS for 3x3, listen to @ProStar. I suggest videoing yourself to see when you start to make mistakes, or opening your eyes every couple of letters.

FluxDigital01

Hello, I'm using M2 for edges with FD buffer, and I'm wondering if there's a faster way to execute the cases where the edges are on L or R faces. For example for H (LF edge) I do B L2 B' M2 B L2 B and have to do at least 2 regrips, and the M2 is awkward.
I know about this video which introduce some advanced way of doing M2's, but I haven't found them to be useful for M2 with FD buffer, especially for B / M2 combos, but maybe I missed something.

For the right face, you can do an R move to setup to the RB edge, then do Uw R Uw'. You can do the same mirrored on the left, or instead of Uw' L' Uw, you can do Uw R' Uw after setting up to LB if you're more comfortable with R moves.

NevEr_QeyX

Well, it’s clearly not very good and you are a beginner if you’re getting only 3 successes every 40 attempts. Slow down. It’s like people saying work on movecount before TPS for 3x3, listen to @ProStar. I suggest videoing yourself to see when you start to make mistakes, or opening your eyes every couple of letters.
I guess what I meant was I can do everything fast but obviously that doesn't help when you can't get successes, LOL.

dudefaceguy

I guess what I meant was I can do everything fast but obviously that doesn't help when you can't get successes, LOL.
If you can find the mistakes you’re mistaking, you’ll be a decently fast BLDer straight away, which isn’t a total waste.
I agree: you need some diagnosis so that you can focus your practice. Make your goal 100% accuracy. Here are some suggestions:

1. Conservative memo. Memo corners, review corners, memo edges, review edges, review corners and edges together, then start the solve. You may have to switch to images for both edges and corners to accommodate all of that reviewing. Audio memo only works well if you can memorize accurately without review.

2. Conservative execution. Visualize the whole alg before execution. Visualize setup move, alg execution, and reversing setup move. Then execute.

This will be difficult and your solves will take a long time. Your goal is not to set a new PB, or even to improve your times: it's to practice, which is different than performance. Practice focuses on what you do poorly, and requires patience and discipline. I recommend untimed solves when working on accuracy.

Once you can get close to 100% accuracy, then work on introducing other techniques that make you faster, like cutting out some of the memo review.

If you really love to time yourself, you can also try a blind relay to focus on accuracy: scramble all of your 3x3s and start solving them as 3BLD solves. Stop the timer when you get 5 successes. Based on your current success rate, you will need 50 solves to get 5 successes! The more accurate you are, the faster you will be able to get 5 successes.

dudefaceguy

This is some good advice. I need to go a bit slower on exec, if only to learn to cancel out moves in my solves (D2 from comm and D from setup into D') and be more fluid.
Check out the book Effortless Mastery by Kenny Warner. It's all about how to practice and perform - the context is music, but it also applied to any other performance and practice, such as cubing. It seems like many cubers "practice" by just doing a lot of solves, which is not the most effective method.

I took a class with Kenny Warner, but never actually read the book - maybe I should go back and do that. The main insight I'm thinking of is the difference between practice and performance.

Last edited: