• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2019MACD02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everybody,

I've been trying to learn Blindfold solving, and I did read couple online tutorials (One from cubefreak.net for example). The problem is, I have no idea what the tutorials are talking about and I haven't been able to learn anything so far.

How should I start off?
I would recommend the latest YouTube tutorial by JPerm. I started learning only yesterday, and I can already solve the edges blindfolded in 3-4 mins. (counting memo).
Jperm video:

L

lucarubik

Is there a good way to execute [L, D M D'] and its inverse without rotating, asked a similar question on the fb group, but I think I'll also try my luck a bit here with these questions.
this is too good to be shared but U' S U, R'
shhh

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to learn blind, I've got the memo part down, but seem to mess up undoing set up moves and I'm not sure what I'm memoming is right
Try doing setup with open eyes, imagine you’re tracing your steps backwards. If necessary, actually remember the moves you did.
Also, do some open eyes BLDing, every letter pair or so, open your eyes and see if you’re doing things correct, then continue, and repeat. This can hopefully get you to catch your mistakes.

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01
I want to learn blind, I've got the memo part down, but seem to mess up undoing set up moves and I'm not sure what I'm memoming is right
It is a good idea in general to practice your blind method with your eyes open until you are comfortable with it.
Regarding your setup moves, there are multiple ways to set a piece up to a specific position. Make sure to always use the inverse when undoing the setup. If you don't, the current sticker will still be solved but you will mess up other parts of the cube.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results

Do them with eyes open at first, then once you get confident try closing your eyes, doing the setup move, then seeing if you did it correct. Also try visualizing the piece in your mind

dudefaceguy

When I was starting out (last week) I would do the same scramble several times until I got it right. This really helps to diagnose the errors.

I also tried scrambling multiple cubes with the same scramble, and doing all the cubes in a row. This helped to practice recall and execution.

If you have an error, you can also go back through the same scramble with your eyes open to see how the error occurred.

dudefaceguy

Do you guys prefer stickered or stickerless cubes for blind and multiblind solving? I've seen some top cubers using stickers for blind, and I wondered if this is more common in blind events for some reason. I've tried both and there doesn't seem to be much difference at my noobish level. I use stickerless for sighted solves with Roux and my recognition is much better compared to stickers - but this is obviously much less important with blind.

DerpBoiMoon

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you guys prefer stickered or stickerless cubes for blind and multiblind solving? I've seen some top cubers using stickers for blind, and I wondered if this is more common in blind events for some reason. I've tried both and there doesn't seem to be much difference at my noobish level. I use stickerless for sighted solves with Roux and my recognition is much better compared to stickers - but this is obviously much less important with blind.
I've been wondering this too, I think it may be because you can feel the piece borders, but I'm too nooby to even take it to my advantage

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use a mix for MBLD and there's really no difference to me. I even have a white plastic cube and memo isn't any more difficult on that than on my stickerless main. I think the slight difficulties I have with recognition on stickered puzzles are only as a result of the pieces moving while I'm trying to look at them. In a memo it's no big deal. Others may have different opinions though.

jronge94

WCA
2014RONG01
Might be a dumb question, but meh. For the UF-UB flip I still use the MU alg, but I've seen most top cubers now use an RFSU alg which I can't (yet) execute as fast. Is the alg really that much better and how to fingertrick the RFSU one properly?
Also is there a good list somewhere with good UF flipping algs and maybe some videos on how to execute the edge flipping algs.

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Might be a dumb question, but meh. For the UF-UB flip I still use the MU alg, but I've seen most top cubers now use an RFSU alg which I can't (yet) execute as fast. Is the alg really that much better and how to fingertrick the RFSU one properly?
Also is there a good list somewhere with good UF flipping algs and maybe some videos on how to execute the edge flipping algs.
The 3-style sheet I learned from (Daniel's) has UF-XY flip algs, including the RFSU one for UF-UB. I can execute the RFSU one faster than the MU one (1.24 vs 1.64 after a few attempts). As for fingertricking it, do the F', S', and S moves with your left index finger and everything else should be obvious. One thing to note is that I do M moves with my left hand and I think that's actually better for this alg because of the moves that follow.

dudefaceguy

I use a mix for MBLD and there's really no difference to me. I even have a white plastic cube and memo isn't any more difficult on that than on my stickerless main. I think the slight difficulties I have with recognition on stickered puzzles are only as a result of the pieces moving while I'm trying to look at them. In a memo it's no big deal. Others may have different opinions though.
Great, thanks. I feel the same way. Good chance to use the stickeres cubes I normally don't use for Roux.

dudefaceguy

Is there somewhere I can find blind reconstructions that include the Speffz memo? I sometimes like to do mental practice without a cube handy.

Edit: I found the memo generator app for Android, which does the trick.

Last edited:

gibon187

Hi, I've been practising 3bld for some time. 1-1:30 exec 1-2 min memo. OP is very boring so i wanted to go further. At first i wanted to work out with corners, then edges so i want to know if this is accurate. Searched for some 3-style tutorials and found out that some of 3bld cubers are using UBL as buffer like same in the OP and that wouldn't "destroy" my letter scheme and memo cause i will stick to 3-style/OP without and change literally. Is it worth going first for 3-style corners and then for edges so then then pure 3-style for both edges and corners. One more thing saw that many people are using UFR as buffer also so can you tell me which is "better"?

gibon187

I would say use something like M2 or Eka, then 3-style. Please note that I am not a 3bld expert but this is an easier transition path to learning 3-style

I know how 3-style works so i think that will be a big deal, as i said i will start with only corners at first.

From what I've heard, here's what to do :
1. OP/OP
2. OP/M2
3. Orozco/M2
4. Orozco/Eka
5. now start learning 3-style

Heard from maaany people that there is no point in learning M2, it teaches very bad buffer DF so i will avoid that at first. Yeah thinking about orozco either for corners, heard that this is quite good and fast. Can you say more about that?

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Heard from maaany people that there is no point in learning M2, it teaches very bad buffer DF so i will avoid that at first. Yeah thinking about orozco either for corners, heard that this is quite good and fast. Can you say more about that?

People who say you shouldn't learn M2/OP are stupid. It's a great next method after full OP. Also think hard before you commit to 3-style, even though everything is a commutator you still have to learn them and know the few hundred different ones, you can't just make them up on the spot