• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
I just started learning BLD, and I've been doing solves (with my eyes open) with only the edges(I uses scrambles where corners are solved), and I have trouble knowing which edges I've swapped so far. Because of that, whenever I get to a new cycle, I can't remember which need to be solved. Any help would be appreciated.

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01
Hey,

I am using M2/"basic 3-Style" (comms for A, B, D, parity algs for the rest) with CEEC order for 3BLD. My buffers are DF/UFR and I use the UF/UR swap to handle parity.
For convenience, I would like to do the same for MBLD. I use two locations in my rooms to memo corners and three for edges, however, the order is giving me some headache. When I memo corners in locations 1 to 2 and edges in 3 to 5, I have to skip the first two locations during execution and go back after solving edges. Switching the order moves the problem to the memo phase. I kind of got used to it but I feel that this back-and-forth-jumping is a bad habit which should be avoided.

So what is your advice for this situation? I could actually memo and execute corners first when there is no parity. But I would be more interested in a consistent approach that works all the time. Any help is very much appreciated.

Archit123

Hi all,

I've recently started Blindsolving using the beginner's method (not sure what it's called: I used J Perm's video) and I can easily remember all the letters for edges and corners (using the roman rooms method) and know when/when not to use parity.

The only thing that I'm struggling with is knowing which pieces I've already visited. When starting a new cycle (particularly towards the end of solving edges), I have a vague idea but am often unsure of which pieces I have already visited and which I haven't. Is there a technique I can use to fix this problem or should I just keep trying and it'll improve over time?

Many Thanks!

Llewelys

The method is called Old Pochmann (OP for short).
A common technique is to put your fingers on every piece you've targetted!

TheLegend12

I don't use roman rooms for 2bld but occasionally for 3bld, I will. It is an easier way to remember more information. I learned the concept so I could try it on 3bld and because I am very slow (9 minutes) it can work fine but I don't think this is a super good technique one you get faster.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I only use Roman Rooms for MBLD and 5BLD. For me, on 3BLD or 4BLD, Roman Rooms is a waste of effort because I can remember just fine by just making some sort of story. I'm not really sure what your title means though. Do you also need help on making sure you've shot to every piece?
If I remember correctly @AbsoRuud didn't create this thread. Someone else did and was asking the title of the thread, but it looks like he deleted those posts or something a kin to that.

Archit123

The method is called Old Pochmann (OP for short).
A common technique is to put your fingers on every piece you've targetted!
Thanks so much! I remember someone mentioning this technique but completely forgot to try it!

Zagros

WCA
2014WHEE01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have just started 4bld. On 3bld, I put a finger on every piece I've targeted. For 4bld centers, I put a finger on the latest center on each side that I've targeted since I go in order. But for edges, how do I know which I've targeted? I don't have 23 fingers. I know I can count how many targets I should have based on solved pieces and cycle breaks, but that wastes a lot of time and then I have to go over the memory and count how many I have. And knowing how many I should have isn't the only problem, I need to know WHICH ones I have left in case of cycle breaks. RN I have absolutely no clue what to do if I track 18 edges and then get a cycle break. Remembering which 18 edges I have been to without going through all the memo is not going to happen. How can I know which edges to go to?

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
I have just started 4bld. On 3bld, I put a finger on every piece I've targeted. For 4bld centers, I put a finger on the latest center on each side that I've targeted since I go in order. But for edges, how do I know which I've targeted? I don't have 23 fingers. I know I can count how many targets I should have based on solved pieces and cycle breaks, but that wastes a lot of time and then I have to go over the memory and count how many I have. And knowing how many I should have isn't the only problem, I need to know WHICH ones I have left in case of cycle breaks. RN I have absolutely no clue what to do if I track 18 edges and then get a cycle break. Remembering which 18 edges I have been to without going through all the memo is not going to happen. How can I know which edges to go to?
I have a row of 6 places where I memo 4 letters each. So I don't count the wings in the memo but can easily say how many I have memoed already, depending on the place I am and how many letters I have in that place.
And I have special wings to start new cycles. I'm using an advanced r2-system, so the target is a nice one or all others, that have easy setups or work fine with the advanced method. Not always but mostly I know which one of these hasn't occurred in the memo so far.
And I check the cube for solved wings before the memo. This seems to me much better than searching after the first memo-cycle. For example if I know there are 20 wings to solve and I have memoed 19 then I am sure that the work is done. Without checking for solved pieces before, I wouldn't know whether I'm done or another or even 2 cycles are left. And while checking this out, the memo I already did starts to vanish and I loose much more time than I needed for the pre-check.

Final Disclaimer: My 4bld- and 5-bld-means are now more than 10 times the WR, but maybe my ideas can help you :)

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01
Hey,

I am using M2/"basic 3-Style" (comms for A, B, D, parity algs for the rest) with CEEC order for 3BLD. My buffers are DF/UFR and I use the UF/UR swap to handle parity.
For convenience, I would like to do the same for MBLD. I use two locations in my rooms to memo corners and three for edges, however, the order is giving me some headache. When I memo corners in locations 1 to 2 and edges in 3 to 5, I have to skip the first two locations during execution and go back after solving edges. Switching the order moves the problem to the memo phase. I kind of got used to it but I feel that this back-and-forth-jumping is a bad habit which should be avoided.

So what is your advice for this situation? I could actually memo and execute corners first when there is no parity. But I would be more interested in a consistent approach that works all the time. Any help is very much appreciated.

Just in case someone else needs a solution for this. I found two that are not great but seem to be the best that I can do at the moment:

1. Just use ECEC order and use a parity alg, e.g. F2 U' M' U2 M' U' F2. Easy and seems to be reasonable for MBLD, however, I have to get used to solving 3BLD in a different way.
2. Learn a UF-UR DF-xy 2e2e alg set. Also ECEC order, also different from 3BLD.

martinba314

To solve a corner 3-cycle would you use a conjugate whenever the three corners are in the same layer, or just when there isn't a one-move interchange?

martinba314

In commutators, what is a good rule of thumb on whether you should do the interchange or insertion first and why does it matter which order we do them in?