• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dumb question: How exactly are you guys finding your splits? Video yourself, or looking at the timer right before you put on your blindfold?
Mostly through using software timers that use splits. But for a while I used a stopwatch, and then I always looked at the timer before putting on the blindfold.

Videoing is great, but it takes too long if you have to go back and review each solve. Videoing is mainly good for looking for ways to improve the physical solving part.

M O

WCA
2017KLOS01
Dumb question: How exactly are you guys finding your splits? Video yourself, or looking at the timer right before you put on your blindfold?

i simply start 2 timers and stop one when i begin execution. Then you have full time and memo time, and you can calculate execution time

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07

csTimer has the option under Options => Timer => multi-phase, set to 2. First spacebar will start timing for memo, second spacebar will start timing for execution, and third spacebar will stop timing. Beware not to double-tap space or hold it long enough to engage key-repeat or you'll inadvertently stop the timer after memo, ask me how I know.

M O

WCA
2017KLOS01
new pb: 5:39
question: do you memorise flipped pieces separately, or visually, or do you just treat them as the other pieces, e.g. if the UBL corner is flipped memorize "BQ"?

M O

WCA
2017KLOS01
y'all are so insane, just got a 4:35. stuck for 3 months and now I cut 1:30 off my pb in under a week, thanks!
How do you execute Q (BU Edge, assuming you use M2 with DF as your buffer) ?
Doing U R2 U' B' R' B M2 B' R B U R2 U' feels so long and slow with regrip and all.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
y'all are so insane, just got a 4:35. stuck for 3 months and now I cut 1:30 off my pb in under a week, thanks!
Doing U R2 U' B' R' B M2 B' R B U R2 U' feels so long and slow with regrip and all.

(U' M')3 U' M (U' M')3 U' M

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07

Congrats btw! Still a lot of ground for you to gain on faster memo but if you get much faster I'll have to start hitting you up for pointers. My PB is still over 3mins, myself, but I've been planning on a big 3bld push soon.

Thom S.

(U' M')3 U' M (U' M')4

Edit:
I'm apparently too slow

U

Underwatercuber

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/362934664
new PB: 3:05
1:50 memo
1:15 execution

Should i learn advanced M2 yet or still just work on my memo?
You always need to be working on memo. If you are comfortable then yeah I would suggest a new exec method, probably U2, orozco or TuRBo for edges and then U2, orozco or eka for corners. Which one you learn kind of depends on how much you want to get into bld

pglewis

WCA
2016LEWI07
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/362934664
new PB: 3:05
1:50 memo
1:15 execution

Should i learn advanced M2 yet or still just work on my memo?

You're roughly at the same stage as I am or faster at this point so I'll just share my thoughts on my own state.

Memo: for me, I consider memo something I can continue improving forever. I figure if my memo is over 15 seconds for 3bld then I can probably still make improvements :D. I'm more interested in mbld in the longer term than fast 3bld but if I were out to push my 3bld memo faster I'd work very hard on using audio memo for edges rather than images and eventually full audio memo. There are several things going on during memo that can eat time: speed of tracing, sticker to letter conversion, assigning image/audio to a letter pair quickly, things not retained triggering a review. You have to examine which of those bits are eating the most time for your memo and come up with some focused exercises to address them. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Execution: advanced M2 techniques are supplemental, you can incorporate new tricks piece-meal whenever you are comfortable with your current execution. If you are out for real speed then you will probably want to look into comms eventually to cut down the moves. That is a big rabbit hole and something that takes an appreciable amount of time and effort but if that's where you think you will eventually land I believe it's a good idea to start learning the concepts now. It'll probably a while before you can use comms in a solve so my attitude is the sooner you work on it, the sooner you'll get there. Personally, I'll probably skip any intermediate/transition methods like Orozco because it makes more sense to me to put that work into getting a head-start on comms. I know @openseas used Orozco to transition to comms so I'm curious what his opinion is coming from actual experience.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
pb 2:11
memo 1:15
execution 56
for sub-2 I need memo and execution both sub-1 right?
Nice job. No, you need them to add up to sub-1 :). Generally though, they should be split about 50/50 and it's a good idea to aim for that (until you reach about 1:30, beyond which you should expect memo to become significantly shorter than execution).

Reactions: M O