• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
Definitely work on memo first, I use audio for edges and images for corners, are you familiar with this memo technique? Something that helped me was trying to rush my memo, and just doing it over and over again until successes become more frequent. I am definitely not an expert in BLD solving but this is just my experience.
I use audio for edges and images for corners, but should I make a letter-pair system now or later?
Basically what I mean by the letter-pair system is that people use a spreadsheet to write all of their letter pairs.

Brouxt Force

I use audio for edges and images for corners, but should I make a letter-pair system now or later?
Basically what I mean by the letter-pair system is that people use a spreadsheet to write all of their letter pairs.
If you plan on doing anything bigger than 3BLD (bigBLD or MBLD) in the future, it's definitely a good idea to make a list of letter pairs. Even just for 3BLD, it is very useful when you run into difficult letter pairs, as those are hard to come up with on the fly. I personally have compiled my own list, and although I haven't learned the full thing yet (yay procrastination), when I come across pairs I do know, the whole process is just much faster.

So yes, now would be a good idea.

If you plan on doing anything bigger than 3BLD (bigBLD or MBLD) in the future, it's definitely a good idea to make a list of letter pairs. Even just for 3BLD, it is very useful when you run into difficult letter pairs, as those are hard to come up with on the fly. I personally have compiled my own list, and although I haven't learned the full thing yet (yay procrastination), when I come across pairs I do know, the whole process is just much faster.

So yes, now would be a good idea.
Ok, Thanks!

Cuberstache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just looking for a general estimate, how long does it take to learn 3-style corners, and what was your approach to it like? And what were your times and solves like during the process?
It took me two weeks, but that doesn't count the time spent learning how commutators work and whatnot, just learning the comms from a sheet. I learned one set per day, then upped it to two or more sets later on as the sets got smaller. And I practiced the comms I knew over and over again whenever I had a little free time, noting down the ones I forgot if I couldn't immediately look them up. I didn't do any solves until I finished the whole thing, and my times were naturally slow at first, but I was back to normal times within about a month. Edges was a similar experience. The only reason I didn't learn edges right after corners is because I had a couple competitions with blind and wanted to actually be able to solve the puzzle lol.

It took me two weeks, but that doesn't count the time spent learning how commutators work and whatnot, just learning the comms from a sheet. I learned one set per day, then upped it to two or more sets later on as the sets got smaller. And I practiced the comms I knew over and over again whenever I had a little free time, noting down the ones I forgot if I couldn't immediately look them up. I didn't do any solves until I finished the whole thing, and my times were naturally slow at first, but I was back to normal times within about a month. Edges was a similar experience. The only reason I didn't learn edges right after corners is because I had a couple competitions with blind and wanted to actually be able to solve the puzzle lol.
Great, thanks! I have a general understanding if commutators and how to intuitively solve simpler ones, but figured I'd move on to algs now.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes do make a letter pair system and make stuff systematic.
I recommend you check out colpi first for some good letter pairs in a lot of languages.