• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

kubesolver

Premium Member
M2 for edges is a low hanging fruit.
Conceptually is as easy as OP
but exec is much faster which helps with success rate because you don't have to keep memo in your head for so long.

theos

WCA
2017LAWR04
I really struggled with 3BLD when I was doing OP/OP with very few successes. It didn't take me long after learning OP/M2 until my success rate was a lot higher than it had ever been with OP/OP. For a beginner BLD solver, I'd honestly recommend skipping over OP/OP entirely.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been doing a lot of OP/OP solves lately but either me or the method is very bad (probably me) so I want to know if learning a new method, such as M2/OP might make a difference. Or should I go the extra mile and learn Oroczo? I can do 2*2 quite efficiently, but am only like 10% effective with 3*3.
It depends.

If I were a beginner in 2021, I would choose the path of learning BOP method instead of OP/OP, which would have made the transition to Orozco, 3-style and later 5-style much easier.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What is the BOP method?

Details about the BOP method. Its cool and you would not have to switch buffers if you move onto advanced methods, if you start with BOP.
BOP stands for Brand Old Pochmann.

Greycube

WCA
2019BOWE05

Details about the BOP method. Its cool and you would not have to switch buffers if you move onto advanced methods, if you start with BOP.
BOP stands for Brand Old Pochmann.
I had look through it. His Google Docs tutorial is really well done. I will stick to M2/OP though, as S2 moves in edges and B moves in corners gives me the shudders.

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01
Can you learn/apply 3style corners on a 2x2? I’m not sure if that’s a dumb question
Yes you can, but the execution is very ineffective. Most of them are RUD-gen which requires many regrips per alg. So, I would not recommend using them on a 2x2.

cubing 4 ever

I am trying to learn blindfold cubing and so far I have yet to learn zz and roux is you see this please help me:0

EngiNerdBrian

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do you analyze a failed 3BLD attempt? Sometimes I just don’t understand where I went wrong. How can you tell of the error was in memo or execution? Tips/tutorials/references appreciated.

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01
How do you analyze a failed 3BLD attempt? Sometimes I just don’t understand where I went wrong. How can you tell of the error was in memo or execution? Tips/tutorials/references appreciated.
A couple of people recommend filming your solves to be able to find out what went wrong. I personally always do the same scramble again sighted. This is sufficient most of the time.

Hazel

Premium Member
I've been using M2/OP for years, and I've been getting back into 3BLD, but OP corners are just so slow. I really don't have the energy or desire to try to wrap my head around commutators, so is there some in-between I can check out to get faster at corners that's compatible with M2?
If it matters, I use DF as my buffer for M2, and ULB as my OP buffer.

EDIT: I recall the D2 method being a thing, is it worth all of the weird setups it has?

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been using M2/OP for years, and I've been getting back into 3BLD, but OP corners are just so slow. I really don't have the energy or desire to try to wrap my head around commutators, so is there some in-between I can check out to get faster at corners that's compatible with M2?

EDIT: I recall the D2 method being a thing, is it worth all of the weird setups it has?
Orozco corners. I am not sure how to deal with parity situations. It solves one piece at a time like Old Pochman, but it uses commutator-like patterns to solve sets of letter pairs, UFR being the buffer and UBR being the helper. I know that the first letter in a pair likes the helper, and the second letter in a pair likes the buffer. Sometimes you have to make weird set-ups, but otherwise it is a great intro for 3-style.

Habsen

WCA
2020HABE01

The OP algs for the UFR buffer are a bit faster. They are mostly J perms with a lot of cancellations in the setups. They are also quite easy to learn. It shouldn't take you more than three hours. From there, I would recommend learning at least some commutators. Especially the UFR-UBR-x set has really nice algs, i.e. lots of 8 or 9 movers. You can use this for Orozco or with OP whenever the UBR target comes up. For OP UBR will be your preferred target for every cycle break, which makes it occur more often.

Hazel

Premium Member
I actually tried learning 3-style corners yesterday and it just started clicking today. I can find commutators pretty reliably, I'm just slow and mess up sometimes and I'm not nearly good enough at them yet to be able to do it eyes-closed.
EDIT: Ok yeah I definitely got this, and it's really fun! I just need to practice more

Last edited:

GenTheSnail

WCA
2016GEEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I became really familiar with commutators when I switched from U2 to 3style for big cube centers. They're much easier to make up on the fly than comms for other piece types.
Daniel shepard has an old video on them that I found super helpful.