• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[HELP] Speedcubing beginner: F2L and memorization problems

Thread starter #1
Hi all,

My collection started in 2013 and has rapidly grown since (my collection can be found here). I mostly enjoy solving all kind of puzzles, but I really want to get into speedcubing as well. I already use the beginner's method for over three years and with it I can solve my Dayan Zanchi V in around 45-60 sec. Lately I've also become better in look-ahead and recognize if I get a dot, L or line on the last layer while I'm still working on the middle layer. However, beginner's method is really inefficient as most of you know and I really want to reduce it to a sub-30 (or preferably a sub-20 one day) by using a better speedsolving method.

I've seen quite some YouTube videos and wikis about CFOP and collected about 3 to 4 OLL and PLL algorithms per case and all F2L algorithms. I've tried all of them a couple of times to see which suits me best (I prefer to use a minimal amount of L and B turns, like most people do). I've tried to just repeat algorithms that suit me over and over so they become muscle memory, but that only seems to work for easy ones, like T, H or Z perms. I've seen people memorize all cases in just a few weeks, but since I'm pretty bad at memorizing things in general I don't even think I can remember all OLL & PLL cases in more than a year..

Also, intuitive F2L just doesn't seem to work for me. When I try to intuitively F2L I sometimes get some of the harder cases and they take me twice as long to figure out than an entire solve with the beginner's method would do.. It's really depressing. Should I learn the algorithms of the harder cases and only do the easier F2L cases intuitively? If that's the case I need to remember even more algorithms on top of OLL and PLL..

TL;DR: Need some beginner's tips for CFOP when I'm just so used to beginner's method and am pretty bad at memorizing (a lot) of algorithms.. I know the main thing is practice, practice, practice and after about a year and a lot of Ao100s you will note the difference, but to do averages I should first be able to solve it with CFOP in the first place, and I just can't seem to do it.. :( Especially intuitive F2L seem to be a problem..

Thanks in advance for the responses,

Greetz,
Quuador

YouTube
JPerm
then don't time it until you can do it.
have the f2l alg site next to you when you do f2l. if you can't figure it out, read the alg and see what it does.

WCA
2014BOUD01
When I learned intuitive F2L, I took maybe two weeks where I just did the cross, looked at an F2L case, figured out how I could do it easily (Notfdt, I'd take my time figuring it out. Don't learn it just by speedsolving it!) Move on to the next one, figure it out, and after I was done f2l I'd finish the solve (So i got Ll practice as well). Then I'd scrambled repeat. I waited until I could do those new cases I figured out comfortably, then Oiifigured out better ways for the harder cases. It isnt that hard, just take as long as you want figuring out each case! I did this when I was your speed and I do F2L in 6-7 seconds now.

WCA
2015LANE01
YouTube
IAmAPerson620
When I first started using Friedrich/CFOP, my F2L itself took about 2 minutes. I eventually said to myself one day, "I promise to myself to never use Beginner's method again until I can solve faster with CFOP." Times skyrocketed significantly.

My technique was what Smiles recommended. I would try my best to figure out a case. If it took way too long or I couldn't figure it out, I looked at the algorithm, observe what the algorithm did as opposed to learning the algorithm, and remembered it for the next solve. I now average fairly easily sub-30 (35 was my floor with Beginner's). I almost know a 1-look PLL. I do know a 1-look OLL though. I only use 15 algorithms however. How? Like this: when I go to my final F2L pair, I use something called VHLS. I solve the pair intuitively, and then using one of 16 VHLS algorithms, I insert that pair in a way that it will orient my last layer edges. After that, I use one of 7 algorithms to orient my corners, and voilà, PLL. One of 21 algorithms is used, and I'm done. Then, if I ever want to expand in the future, I can turn my modified CFOP into ZB.

EDIT: After I learn my PLLs and my Pyraminx 1FLL, FP, and maybe 1FFP algorithms, I'll learn some easy ZBLL cases (maybe solved edges?).

EDIT EDIT: I GOT MY FIRST LL SKIP OMG YES OMG NO I forgot to time the solve...

Last edited:
WCA
2015HEMN01
YouTube
Neil Hemnani
When I first started f2l, my times increased from 50 seconds to 5 minutes. It's quite hard for a while, but learning intuitively will help a lot. I have only two f2l algorithms to date and my times have gone down from 50 to 25 since learning f2l. You just have to be patient and trust the process.

YouTube
Game Techx
Hey Quaddor , I am a average-cuber and when i saw about CFOP method on internet , I felt that it could be very hard but after i saw its tutorials , I felt it easy but I have the same problem of algorithms . So i just learnt the F2L step of it and I usually solve my Shengshou Aurora with F2L step and other leaving part with beginner's method . I am getting an average of 35 to 40 seconds without learning any CFOP algorithm. But now I am going to learn the algorithms and will try to reduce my time to sub 10. I recommend you that you should learn finger tricks . I am getting a lot of profit from it . So click here to learn the fingers tricks . I am sure that you will get your time reduced to sub 25 .

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
chree55
One of the best singular sets of algs for F2L is probably Kungfumanchu's (Andy Klise's) guides, the first listing here: http://www.kungfoomanchu.com/home.html#333

They're also compiled along with badmephisto's OLL/PLL algs in one guide here: http://www.kungfoomanchu.com/home.html#pro

What he's essentially done is taken all of the "intuitive" solutions and wrote out the algorithms for them.

The reason I find these guides so helpful is that he grouped all the F2L cases by their similarity not only in appearance, but by similar solutions. You get a picture of what all the cases are, can see how one is different from another, and how each are handled separately. It's still up to you to figure out how to mirror the cases for different slots.

But as others may have stated, it's more important to know HOW the algs work. So as you perform any solution to a particular case, watch and see what the F2L pieces do. When you understand how it works, it's easier to memorize the case. The same can't really be said for OLL/PLL, though. That's just gonna be muscle memory eventually.

Last edited:
Hai. I'm actually really really new to cubing and had an average of 1 min using beginner's method, before attempting to move on to CFOP. What I'm doing is learning just the F2L first, and using beginner's for the last layer. When I first started F2L, it really took a while to get the hang of it and I got really stressed, however I think the best way of learning this is to focus more on technique than time, and just keep practicing the F2L without using a timer. This helps avoid any "depression", and after a while, even without keeping track of the time, I can feel that I've started solving it faster. Practice and discipline really is the key.

If you know how to move pieces around a bit try this absolute beginner F2L method,
step1: get both of the F2L pieces to the U layer.
step2(optional): seperate them.
step3: connect them in the correct way(there are about 3 cases to do this I believe)
step4: insert

After this try to learn algs for the cases that take more moves than beginners method and after that just watch example solves from really fast people to solve the rest just a bit more efficient

WCA
2015PANG02
YouTube
molarmanful
Just wondering, have you considered other methods? That might help. I'd read up on ZZ, Petrus, and Roux to start. Give each some time, then decide whether you'll stick with CFOP or change.

Also, if you stick with CFOP, be patient. Don't feel hopeless just because you can't do F2L. Give it some time, and you can get it soon enough.

Thread starter #12
Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm learning intuitive F2L and it's going pretty well. I'm still very slow, but at least I manage to solve almost all cases pretty easy now. Only with a few of the harder cases I've got the feeling that I use more moves than I should. For those I've looked up the algorithms and analyzed what is happening and this helped a lot. I also know a few more PLL cases now. OLL still none, but I first focus on F2L and PLL and after that probably 2-look OLL and actually timing myself.

I also ordered a AoLong v2.1 (v2 with new plastic) to replace my 2 year old Stickerless Dayan Zanchi V. My Dayan Zanchi still turns great, but it shows some wearing and it needed a replacement.

Once again thanks for all the responses. I just gotta keep practice.

Greetz,
Quuador