• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

HELP: PLL sheet explanation?

Thread starter #1
So I've been speedcubing for about 3 weeks now and my average is around 45-55 sec. I've been progressively working through the cfop steps and i am completely confused on the pll step. I don't understand the arrow notation thing and I can't find anyone who can explain it. I complete the last step with the last part of the beginners method.

Thread starter #3
i understand that much, but what i dont understand is when to use the right algorithm. I'm currently looking at badmephisto's 2-look pll page btw

WCA
2015CAST24
Just analyze the cube, and find which piece goes where. Then find the correct algorithm for it and execute it, solving the cube. You can also practice certain algorithms by just repeating them over and over again if you want.

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
chree55
Don't think of the PLL's in terms of arrows. Instead learn what those cases actually look like on the cube... since that's how you'll eventually recognize them anyhow.

When I first started, those arrows didn't mean a thing to me. I familiarized myself with the different cases by starting with a solved cube, doing the PLL alg, and seeing what happened.

Most of the cases set themselves up; meaning if I do a T perm on a solved cube, it'll set up a T-Perm. So if you want to know what those arrows actually look like on a cube, set up the case by doing the alg, take a moment to actually see what it looks like (and what all those arrows look like), then do the alg again to solve the cube.

The A's, U's, and G's are different and set up their inverse. So if you do Aa, it sets up Ab, and vice versa. Same for Ua and Ub, Ga and Gb, Gc and Gd. But for every other PLL, they set themselves up.

WCA
2015CAST24
At the beginning, I thought of the PLL's as arrows, but then as I got faster I just thought of the PLL's as just how they look like on the cube. For example, at the beginning, I actually memorized where each piece went for the A perm. I literally was thinking in my head, "this piece goes here, this goes there..." and determined the case like that. Eventually, I just noticed that for the A(b) perm, the top right corner piece was opposite colors with the bar on the top left. I slowly began to take in details like that and now I look back and see that using arrows to determine the case was extremely slow.