• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Help needed to readproof a beginner's method memento/reminder

Cristobal

To the moderators: feel free to move this topic in the right subforum

I started cubing yesterday. Originally planing to learn the Roux method and after being quickly stuck, I rapidly moved to the beginner's method as explained by Badmephisto.

His explanations are so easy to grasp that I decided to create a kind of memento or reminder to learn and comprehend the method by myself. However since English is not my native language, I may likely have made some mistakes, either grammar/spelling related or even regarding cube solving.

I just need some English speaking cubing fellow who would be kind enough to proofread my memento. Nothing to worry, it is very graphic and very synthetic.

Here it is:

rubik_10.jpg

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Looks very good. Only problem I see is step 5, the first two images are mirrored from what they should be. Also, the difficult ones to remember for step 5 are when you have 2 oriented corners next to each other. In this case, always put the two oriented corners ag the back.

Also, bottom left up, top left front, top right left side... It is unclear what you mean here.

Cristobal

Looks very good. Only problem I see is step 5, the first two images are mirrored from what they should be. Also, the difficult ones to remember for step 5 are when you have 2 oriented corners next to each other. In this case, always put the two oriented corners ag the back.

Also, bottom left up, top left front, top right left side... It is unclear what you mean here.

Ok, so I corrected a few mistakes:

captur13.jpg

captur14.jpg

I had the wrong for the blue/red edge, it should have been green/red instead

I still have to figure the case you mentioned:

Also, the difficult ones to remember for step 5 are when you have 2 oriented corners next to each other. In this case, always put the two oriented corners ag the back.

You mean something like that?

captur15.jpg

SenorJuan

As you are after corrections to the English:
Instead of "to repeat as many times...., use "repeat as many times....
And it's "0 oriented corners" with an s at the end, and also "0 solved edges"

I won't comment on your choice of the U.S 'Color' when you're living in London...

Whilst this is just a beginners solution, you may like this sequence for Step 2, 3rd algorithm: F' L' U2 L F

Last edited:

G2013

WCA
2013DIPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The only thing it lacks is explaining the notation. The rest is fine
Although the algorithms are a bit hard to begin with cubing

btw, now I want to see the movie Memento again.

Cristobal

I didn't get all the nuances of the 5th step, but here the version with the corrections:

I'm not planing to include the notation, since this memento is to be transformed into a pdf or a jpeg file that I will put in my mobile phone, so that I can consult anytime/anywhere in order to learn the algorithms.

As for the algorithms, these are the ones from the beginner's method presented by Badmephisto.

As you are after corrections to the English:
Instead of "to repeat as many times...., use "repeat as many times....
And it's "0 oriented corners" with an s at the end, and also "0 solved edges"

I won't comment on your choice of the U.S 'Color' when you're living in London...

Whilst this is just a beginners solution, you may like this sequence for Step 2, 3rd algorithm: F' L' U2 L F

Brilliant algorithm!

Last edited:

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On step 5, the first on (two corners orientated) it says "Place yellow sticker on top left facing front". Because english is stupid, it should read "Place yellow sticker on top left facing to the front".

The others are fine with out the "to the" (although putting it in the left facing one is not a bad idea).

Cristobal

Ok, here is what seems to be my definitive version, still in test. It's a Grand pa method, but it works for me to apprehend cube solving.

(see last post)

Last edited:

carl888

as this is aimed at beginners, I feel you should not assume they know how to make the cross yet your guide starts with a cross with centers matching the cross edges

carl888

Oh ok, you put lots of effort into this so I thought it was going to published somewhere :)

TorbinRoux

WCA
2014KITT01
My advice would be to try roux again, because in the long run, you'll probably prefer it. I recommend deedub's tutorial on using roux as a beginners method.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Cristobal

My advice would be to try roux again, because in the long run, you'll probably prefer it. I recommend deedub's tutorial on using roux as a beginners method.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yes, but now that I know the beginner's method, I feel that it will likely be easier to understand/apply, although I watched the Deedub's videos, it's still a bit abstract to me...

In order to work it out, I might have to put some effort in the same type of graphical document with some isometric views to get the required algorithms.

Cristobal

Here's the last version, I often refer to it when my memory plays tricks on me:

(see last post)

Last edited:

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is absolutely amazing! Before I say anything, I just want to say how amazing your piece of work is! However, there are minor points that can be improved upon.

Some algorithms are much easier to remember with a rotation, such as the ones in Step. 3, where algorithm A could be done with a rotation, then the inverse of algorithm B.
Also, the algorithm in Step. 2 could be a little faster (we are the SpeedSolving forums after all!), with something like R U2 R' U' R U R'

If I find anything else, I will let you know asap.

Cristobal

This is absolutely amazing! Before I say anything, I just want to say how amazing your piece of work is! However, there are minor points that can be improved upon.

Thank you.

Some algorithms are much easier to remember with a rotation, such as the ones in Step. 3, where algorithm A could be done with a rotation, then the inverse of algorithm B.

Could you write algorithm for each case please?

Also, the algorithm in Step. 2 could be a little faster (we are the SpeedSolving forums after all!), with something like R U2 R' U' R U R'

The 3rd case you mean? Yes indeed that algorithm was in the Badmepisto method.

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
The step. 3 algorithm (a) could be

y U' L' U L

I'm not good with rotations, but I think it's y, and not y'. You'll have to ask some other guys.