• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hello

Lt-UnReaL

WCA
2008CLAY01
Hello everyone, I have just bought a 3x3x3 rubik's cube about 2 weeks ago, and have been reading solutions, guides and tutorials all over, including P.J.K.'s and Joel's, very helpful indeed! My fastest solve so far is a little under 4 minutes. I must say, there are so many different combinations for different methods, do you actualy memorize every single algorithm, or do you understand and know what to do?
I basically just solve the top layer without any algorithms. Then I solve the middle layer edges, easy algorithms. Then, I orient the last layer edges, then I do the edges. The problem is that for the last layer, there are so many possible combinations...so do you guys memorize the algorithms for this, or...?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
arnaudvg
On here, when it comes to memorizing algorithms there is no "you guys". For example on the last layer, I used a method that used just 4 algorithms (A,B,C,D), 1 for each of 4 steps.
Step 1) Orient edges, requires to do A between 1 and 3 times
Step 2) Orient corners, requires to do B between 1 and 3 times
Step 3) Permutate corners, requires to do C between 1 and 2 times
Step 4) Permutate edges, requires to do D between 1 and 2 times
I averaged around 45 seconds for the entire cube with this method.

Then I decided to learn more algorithms for the last layer so I would never have to do an algorithm more than once. So now I use a method that requires 16 algorithms (A[1-3],B[1-7],C[1-2],D[1-4]) for the same 4 steps. I average 31 seconds for the entire cube with this method.

Next step will be to reduce step 3 and 4 to one step, which will require 21 algorithms (C+D[1-21]) and probably also to reduce step 1 and 2 to one step which will require 56 algorithms (A+B[1-56]).

Other people use other methods, but this basic "more algorithms, less steps"-approach seems to apply always.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
Well, the more the practice, the better you will get, and the easier it will become. The cross is pretty easy to do, even as a beginner. Placing each corner into it's spot can be done with 3 algorithms. Placing each edge in can be done with 2. On the oriente, you only need to know 4 algs, and PLL only 3. That is a total of 12 algorithms for a beginners method. With those 12 algs, it is possible to average sub-45 seconds. However, when you want to improve, you can learn to solve the cross in 1 step (8 moves or less everytime), learn the 42 intuitive algs (they are intuitive because after you learn them, you learn to insert from all angels intuitively), 57 OLLs, and 21 PLLs, and those amounts are from 1 angel. However, don't think that is too many, if you can learn 1-2 algs a day, you will get them all very quickly. Good luck.

annon

Actually, for the orientation, you really only need 2 algs, and the permutations 2 more, one for edges and one for corners, but that's the bare minimum. Personally, while I know all of the corner orientations, I don't know any of the edge orientations. I use the Petrus method for F2L, making it unnecessary to orient the edges. I'm in the process of learning all 21 of the permutations rather than doing CLL/ELL.

I'm not going to lie, it's pretty complicated. I'm almost 10 months in and still learning.