• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hello! I'm a beginner, what should I learn next?

GVxCobra

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am new to speedcubing and this is my very first post on this site!
Anyway I need help with what to do next. I currently use the beginners method and my average is 1 minute
and my personal best is 55 seconds. What should I do next to improve my time ?

MWilson

Average 1 minute with beginner's method is quite good. Look into CFOP, Roux, ZZ, and Petrus methods and pursue what interests you. Once you learn how a method works, look up (many) example solves of that method on this forum and follow along to get a feel for what that method is like after being practiced. There are other methods as well, but those are the main ones right now as far as speed solving. Any one of them can be very fast. The most important thing is to pick one you find the most fun.

Try to be color neutral from the start if that interests you as well.

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. Be colour neutral if not already.
2. Check out the methods Roux, ZZ, and CFOP.
3. Pick one of the methods mentioned above and just practice until you average like 30 seconds.

As much as I hate to tell people to just practice, you really don't need very specific tips to improve until you average like 30 seconds at the slowest. Hope this helps :)

bobthebuilder

I am new to speedcubing and this is my very first post on this site!
Anyway I need help with what to do next. I currently use the beginners method and my average is 1 minute
and my personal best is 55 seconds. What should I do next to improve my time ?

GVxCobra: A smooth turning and GOOD quality cube would definitely improve your timings too.

For a 3x3x3, my recommendation is Dayan 5 Zhanchi 3x3.
World Record 5.66 sec was using this cube :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v_Km6cv6DU

Keep practicing, practicing and practicing..