• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hello hello!!

catlord

Hello! I've been playing around with Rubik's Cubes since they first came out in the early 80's in the USA. I've always been proud to be able to solve one in under 10-ish minutes. Then, at some point in the mid-90's, I discovered 'speed cubing' was a thing. I always thought I was good with a Cube, but wow!! These folks were seriously impressive!! Although discouraged, I always kept a cube on my corporate desk. I would toss my cube to coworkers, tell them to mix it up for me, and I'll solve it. Since the early 80's, I've always kept a Cube nearby.

I have only used original Rubik's branded cubes over the years, as I just refused to use anything else. Only very recently have I picked up a decent cube (Gan 356i v2). What a night-and-day difference!! It's like soft butter in my hands! I should have done this long, long ago. haha

Anyway, I'm 'new' to the scene and am looking to improve my 10-ish minute time. I have absolutely no idea what 'method' I use for solving. Just what makes sense in my head. Hence my slowish time.

I also have the v2 Gan Robot to scramble my cube. I've got the CubeStation App working perfectly (although a bit wonky as everyone says, it wasn't as difficult as I was prepared for it to be. It's whatever the latest on the Google Play Store is).

Thanks for having me aboard!!
--catlord

P.S. -- yes, I like cats :)

unirox13

Welcome! Great to see new, older people joining the fun. Have fun browsing this site and learning more about the puzzle solving world. There a bunch of creative ways to solve the puzzle out there. YouTube and this forum are great tools for learning and seeing new solving techniques.

catlord

Thanks for the warm welcomes, all!!

Welcome! Great to see new, older people joining the fun. Have fun browsing this site and learning more about the puzzle solving world. There a bunch of creative ways to solve the puzzle out there. YouTube and this forum are great tools for learning and seeing new solving techniques.

I've recently discovered that there are in fact multiple techniques & methods of solving. Not just one or two to go along with my "slowly work each side" method. I'm looking forward to trying some of these out & figuring out which one feels most natural to me.

Welcome. There are many methods that are great such as. P.s I use cfop. obviously my name.
  • Nautilus
  • Petrus
  • Cfop
  • Roux
  • ZZ
  • Waterman

Cfop & Roux are two names that I've seen before. I'm eager to try these other ones out. I've noticed CubeStation (does this forum spell that out each time, or should I be calling it, 'CS'?) has options for a number of different methods with the option of adding tons more & customized ones.

Maybe I can train CubeStation to whatever it is I'm doing, share it, and let folks tell me how close I was to an actual method :) haha

Honestly, I probably won't even bother. I'm kind of lazy like that.

Welcome! Very good to have an OG cuber from the '80s. You will learn lots of things hereto! Do you still have the OG 1980 Rubik's cube? It's like a collectors item now. I personally would love to have a feel of it :D

Definitely an OG cuber from the 80's. FWIW, I'm also an OG D&D player from the late 70's that started with a (poorly) photocopied copy of the original First Edition books. When the Rubik's Cube was introduced, saw a commercial, I immediately went to a Service Merchandise department store & bought one.

My original is long since gone :( I'm finding a LOT of my toys from the 70's & 80's are things I should have held on to (I lost EVERYthing to a tornado in 1993, then everything else I acquired since in a flood in 2005).

From what I do remember of it (and the other OG Cubes that I had at the time), it was stiff and 'squeaky'. I think it was my second or third one where I started lubing it with graphite powder.

I'm really stoked to join this community! Honestly, I'm probably going to be more of a lurker than a contributor.

Welcome! Some other methods I saw not mentioned earlier were Mehta and LMCF. I would check them out and see which one you like most.

Thanks for those suggestions! I remember seeing LMCF mentioned. I certainly plan to try out all the different methods I can find. I'll definitely report back when what I found works, which one closest matches the hodge-podge I currently do, and which I'll stick with. Really nothing anybody can learn from it, but it may sate some curiosities out there from folks.

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome into the community!

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello! I've been playing around with Rubik's Cubes since they first came out in the early 80's in the USA. I've always been proud to be able to solve one in under 10-ish minutes. Then, at some point in the mid-90's, I discovered 'speed cubing' was a thing. I always thought I was good with a Cube, but wow!! These folks were seriously impressive!! Although discouraged, I always kept a cube on my corporate desk. I would toss my cube to coworkers, tell them to mix it up for me, and I'll solve it. Since the early 80's, I've always kept a Cube nearby.

I have only used original Rubik's branded cubes over the years, as I just refused to use anything else. Only very recently have I picked up a decent cube (Gan 356i v2). What a night-and-day difference!! It's like soft butter in my hands! I should have done this long, long ago. haha

Anyway, I'm 'new' to the scene and am looking to improve my 10-ish minute time. I have absolutely no idea what 'method' I use for solving. Just what makes sense in my head. Hence my slowish time.

I also have the v2 Gan Robot to scramble my cube. I've got the CubeStation App working perfectly (although a bit wonky as everyone says, it wasn't as difficult as I was prepared for it to be. It's whatever the latest on the Google Play Store is).

--catlord

Woah you have a long association with the Rubik's cube. Glad to have you here!

YouTube
Visit Channel

--catlord

It's great to have you here! Welcome to speedsolving.com! If you want to improve on solving faster, I suggest you to learn a faster method.

catlord

It's great to have you here! Welcome to speedsolving.com! If you want to improve on solving faster, I suggest you to learn a faster method.

Thanks!! I'm slowly going through various methods in the Trainer area of CubeStation. It was Cubeastic's YouTube videos that ultimately led me here. I saw there are a good number of various cubing forums out there, and this one seems to be where the more 'serious' Cubers are located. If you want to learn, hang out with and listen to the best!

My biggest worry so far is that I'll just not learn & apply a new (to me) method that's incredibly more efficient (and more than likely easier) than what I've been doing, and go back to my slow, plodding way that I've been doing for 40ish years now.

I'm thankful that this forum exists and has beyond a wealth of information to sift through.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks!! I'm slowly going through various methods in the Trainer area of CubeStation. It was Cubeastic's YouTube videos that ultimately led me here. I saw there are a good number of various cubing forums out there, and this one seems to be where the more 'serious' Cubers are located. If you want to learn, hang out with and listen to the best!

My biggest worry so far is that I'll just not learn & apply a new (to me) method that's incredibly more efficient (and more than likely easier) than what I've been doing, and go back to my slow, plodding way that I've been doing for 40ish years now.

I'm thankful that this forum exists and has beyond a wealth of information to sift through.
:D. Just practice a lot and you'll get better. That is what I did. Try learning Cfop, roux, zz or any other method. After learning them, see which one you prefer the most and work on it. :)

TheEpicCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome to the forums! There is a YouTuber, J-Perm, that can guide you to becoming a bit faster with the cube, plus some other videos for other puzzles such as 2x2, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, and clock. He is mostly a CFOP user, but has videos on Roux (a block building method) ZZ (a method that starts you orienting edges to solve the cube with no rotations), the J-Perm method (where you take 1 algorithm to solve the cube pieces at a time), the belt method (where you solve the middle edges, then solve the top and bottom layers) etc. Speedcubing has changed a lot over the years, and I look forward to you joining us in this adventue.