• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Haiyan Memory vs. DaYan GuHong

splinteh

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thing is you can't really go wrong with either. I'd just get an A5 and mod it. I have a white A5 and it's really nice. You can see it on my avatar.

WCA
2010MINE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Good cubes I would recommend:

Ghost Hand 2x2
DaYan GuHong 3x3
Maru 4x4
V-Cube 5x5 (Ghost Hand is a nice alternative if you don't have enough money)
V-cube 6x6 and 7x7
CubeTwist square-1
Meffert's pyraminx
Ghost Hand magic and master magic
QJ skewb

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
a.) Don't buy the Haiyan Memory

b.) Why? becuse it's overpriced and its basically an Alpha-V with sanded corners, a modification that you could do in less than 5 minutes at home.

c.) Buy the GuHong

d.) Why? Because its hand down the lightest smoothest cube out there - significantly better than the Alpha V/Mempory.

Now that wasn't that hard now was it?

collinbxyz

WCA
2010BURN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Top 3x3s on the market are:

Dayan LingYun
Dayan GuHong
A-V/Memory
F-II
Ghost Hand II

I have Ghost hand II, Guhong, and should be getting the F-II in the mail, and if you mod the Ghost Hand II, it is amazingly fast, and doesn't lock up as much.
GuHong is extremely smooth, and literally cuts corners 40 degrees. I just wish it were faster. I heard Lubix makes it amazing!
F-II is supposed to have a 'bubbly' feel, though I don't know what that means. From what I heard, I think it is sorta like Ghost Hand II, but better?
Linyun pops when it is too lose, but at the right tension it is amazing. I heard it has more of a clicky feel compared to the GuHong.
Just order an A-V, go out to hardware store, and buy the best sandpaper for a few bucks. Or if you're lazy, buy the Memory for $10 more. I don't have either.

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
What exactly does it even do?

While I've not had problems with an AV locking up, it sometimes does a little stutter while cutting corners- like it's not as smooth as it could be. Doing the memory mod gets rid of that and makes the AV flow nicely. I'm lazy and just bought the Memory and was extremely happy with it straight out of the box.

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
getting a haiyan memory over a guhong is like getting windows vista instead of windows 7. its pointless. just get a guhong. if you hate it, live with it. its better. period.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
I've had a modded A-V for months and I don't think it's degraded at all. It's been broken in but not broken down. I've handled GuHongs and out of the box I was amazed at it's speed and corner cutting. My A-V is modded and can cut 45. the GuHongs out of the box with lubix were consistently cutting past 45. That in itself shocked me. After the "wow factor" faded I decided that the GuHong wasn't as fast as my A-V but can cut corners better.

The lightness of the GuHong really threw me off for awhile. A-Vs are heavier and transitioning to a lighter cube was weird so if you're used to heavy cubes you'll have to adjust.

Assembling the GuHong is a pain but I put like seven or eight together and by the last one I had them put together and tensioned in about 20 minutes. If you wanna save a few bucks get the DIY but if you're a bit on the lazy side get it assembled.

Honestly both cubes are great. You can't go wrong with either one. If you want a fast, sturdy cube that cuts anything you give it in a solve, go with the A-V. If you want a slightly less fast cube that can cut corners like an animal, go with the GuHong.