• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Great Cubing Apps

Witchcraft33a

Hello Speedsolving.

I have a few questions for you. Lets start with the first one:
Are there any apps you use for cubing to practice with, learn new algorithms or something third?

So i think I should say a little bit about myself. Im 23, from Denmark, studying software engineering and just started cubing 6 months ago. I have really gotten interested in cubing since i started and already have a collection of +15 cubes.

What I do find difficult in this community is, that there are a lot of opinions about different techniques and it might be difficult to find a great way to progress. Personally ive seen some tutorials and have gone from beginners method to try and learn some cfop algorithms and has gotten me to around 1 minute in the 3x3. What ive also somewhat experienced is, that even though i learn and can easily perform the algorithm, the difficult part sometimes lies in remembering the pattern on when to use it.

I havent really found a great app to help you learn about new algorithms and how to get faster. I am also quite busy with school atm, so havent looked that well. It would be perfect to hear from the community on what you use of apps.

So i have been considering to make a app as a summer project. The goal with the app would be to help learn beginners to solve the cube, and more advanced to learn new algorithms and remember the connection between each algoritm and the patterns on the cube.

The second is, if there is any kind of app you feel like this community lacks, and what would you like to see in it?

Parvizal

I would really enjoy an app with an ability to have lots of algorithms at hand, not just for 3x3, and maybe some suggestions for finger tricks.

M

Malkom

I'd like a megaminx PLL trainer, just a scrambler basically but it would be greatly appreciated since handscrambles are quite slow and has a big chance of repetition. It would also be nice to have the option to choose certain subsets and/or select just a few cases to focus practice.

Witchcraft33a

I like that youre interested in an app. As it is a simple non profit project, i woulnt be able to cover all cubes in the beginning, so id probably start with the simple, but safe 2x2 and 3x3

T1_M0

WCA
2017NORR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used an Android "Rubik's Cube" app by Jayanth Gurijala. It has a collection of OLL&PLL (both 2-look and 1-look) and even F2l-1 algs. I trained a lot with it but maybe just in situations where you haven't got an actual cube with you. You can train the cases in order or randomly.

M

Malkom

I like that youre interested in an app. As it is a simple non profit project, i woulnt be able to cover all cubes in the beginning, so id probably start with the simple, but safe 2x2 and 3x3
Since there already is tons of those chances are your app wouldn't be used since there's more developed and recognized alternatives. If you instead did something new and useful it would very likely be used. It may be more work but it would be worthwhile since it would actually be used and not just get forgotten as most of the other 3x3 apps.