• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Google Survey] What is your opinion on current WCA-related topics?

WCA
2013BARK01
Official average of 5 for 3x3 WF, so it's equal and treatet the same way as with all the other events :)
Interesting idea, but I feel like that would make 3x3 with feet even less attractive for organizers, since that would be 2x as many solves for people who don't make the soft cutoff and 1.67x as many solves for those who do. Maybe a "median of 3" format should be added, but that creates a lot of questions.

WCA
2013BARK01
Should Kilominx be made an event?
Yes - 3 (14.3%)
No - 4 (19.0%)
I'm open to it, but I want to wait a while to make sure it remains popular - 13 (61.9%)

What should we do with misalignment penalties?
Add misalignment penalties for Clock in some form. - 1 (4.8%)
Make misalignment penalties proportional in some way, either by event or by time. - 1 (4.8%)
Remove them, i.e. all future misalignment penalties are DNF. - 2 (9.5%)
Keep them how they are. - 16 (76.2%)

In general, which of these things do you believe should be prioritized in the organization of competitions?
High competitor limit. Competitions should be open to absolutely as many people as possible, regardless of whether there need be fewer rounds or events. - 3 (15.0%)
Easier soft and hard cutoffs. If the 6x6 cutoff is 3 minutes every time, competitors have to give way more devotion than seems fair to a single event to even get a mean. - 4 (20.0%)
More events and/or rounds.Let's give people the chance to have official experience in more events easily. - 13 (65.0%)

Should we recognize 4BLD and 5BLD mean WRs?
No - 5 (23.8%)
Yes - 16 (76.2%)

Should Feet and/or Clock be removed as official events?
Feet should be removed but not clock - 2 (9.5%)
Clock should be removed but not feet - 3 (14.3%)
Clock and feet should both be removed. - 3 (14.3%)
Both events should remain in the WCA. - 13 (61.9%)

Was making stickerless cubes competition legal the right decision?
Yes - 20 (100.0%)

Should a single-event ranking system not based on best times or averages be implemented on the WCA page?
Yes - 8 (40.0%)
No - 12 (60.0%)

Should KinchRanks or a similar all-round ranking system be implemented on the WCA page?
No - 5 (25.0%)
Yes - 15 (75.0%)

Should an incorrectly interpreted, "ambiguous" scorecard, when such an interpretation negatively impacts the actual time, be final in all circumstances?
Yes - 8 (40.0%)
No - 12 (60.0%)

What might be interesting is if the WCA does a vote on some of these (I'm looking at the Kilominx one right now) online. It wouldn't even have to be a binding vote, but to get the opinion of people.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What might be interesting is if the WCA does a vote on some of these (I'm looking at the Kilominx one right now) online. It wouldn't even have to be a binding vote, but to get the opinion of people.

There is a voting system for Delegates now. The WRC did a trial of three votes last year, but it remains to be seen if we will use it more heavily.

WCA
2013BARK01
There is a voting system for Delegates now. The WRC did a trial of three votes last year, but it remains to be seen if we will use it more heavily.
I think that the opinion of delegates is definitely important, especially on things involving the regulations directly, like misalignment penalties and stickerless cubes, but I think things like whether Kilominx should be an event should be up to competitors (including delegates, ofc), who would be competing in Kilominx, at least in significant part. That's because what makes a good event is people approving of it as an event, and people being interested in the event. There is the idea that some people would want a dumb thing like 1x2x2 to be an event (not really but just using that as an example) so ideally I think there would first be a delegate vote on whether the event could contribute to the WCA and then if the majority of delegates think that it's a good possibility then they could do an online survey using the newish accounts feature on the site.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Interesting idea, but I feel like that would make 3x3 with feet even less attractive for organizers, since that would be 2x as many solves for people who don't make the soft cutoff and 1.67x as many solves for those who do. Maybe a "median of 3" format should be added, but that creates a lot of questions.

I another thread somebody pointed out that often when feet is currently offered it is done with very generous time limits. Switching to an Ao5 could be combined with using more strict cutoffs, probably something between 3:00/5:00 and 2:00/4:00 instead of 10:00. I was arguing that switching to Ao5 would make it harder to schedule, and I would like to see feet offered at more competitions, but I think that whoever pointed out the time limit thing was probably correct.

Edit: it was @Torch who pointed out the time limits with feet.

TheCoolMinxer

WCA
2014GERB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
6x6 and 7x7 don't use average of 5, why does feet need to?
Because feet is WAY faster than 6 and 7, and also other events like sq1 or mega have been adapted to an avg5 in the past, so there's literally no reason why feet shouldn't have an avg5. Also, 5x5 or mega WR's are slower than Feet WR's, yet they still have an avg5

Last edited:

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I always vote for removing existing side-events and not adding new ones. Even when there was a poll "should we remove at least one of BLD events?", I voted for removing 5BLD. Less events is better than more. I would rather be happy with the WCA having 6 events (2x2-4x4, OH, BLD, FMC) than with thirty, with all kind of minxes, master skewbs and pyras, 6x6+BLD and so on.
That's just my humble opinion though.

WCA
2013BARK01
I always vote for removing existing side-events and not adding new ones. Even when there was a poll "should we remove at least one of BLD events?", I voted for removing 5BLD. Less events is better than more. I would rather be happy with the WCA having 6 events (2x2-4x4, OH, BLD, FMC) than with thirty, with all kind of minxes, master skewbs and pyras, 6x6+BLD and so on.
That's just my humble opinion though.
I find this slightly ironic coming from the guy who has the 5BLD world record but ok
I honestly don't see why we should remove events. Is there a convincing argument to do so?
Because for a typical solver feet doesn't take nearly as long as 6x6 and 7x7. I've done probably a couple hundred 6x6 solves and run 7:00-8:00 minutes, and maybe 75-100 foot solves and run 2:30-4:00.
I see your point, but when (atm) 32.7% of people say to remove x event I don't think trying to get organizers to hold more feet solves will help you, and although I think feet should stay an event, I think more people would say to completely remove it if it's taking up even more time. US Nats anI mean cats yes Daniel 2I watched that video kbye c2016 didn't even have feet as an event, and there's no way that having an average of 5 will make it faster. Your cutoffs idea is better though.

gateway cuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree w/Roman to some degree, big BLD and Multi BLD aren't done by very many cubers and hardly any comps have them, clock isn't even a twisty puzzle how did it even become an event? (to me adding clock is like adding egg...) And While I think feet seems like a viable event it does take time and it isn't popular. 6x6 and 7x7 are some very fun events but they take too much time. yet at the same time, there's events that should be added to the WCA (given some time) like Kilo or Mirror Blocks... to me the WCA event list should look something like this.

2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, Pyra, Skewb, Squan, OH, BLD, and Mega
Maybe Kilo, Maybe MultiBLD, and Maybe Mirror Blocks...

Does anybody agree with this?

turtwig

I don't think there needs to be any more events, but I'm also against removing events unless there's a problem with it (like Magic).

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
This seems to be turning into a discussion on adding/removing events. Here's my two cents on that:
1. Few competitions offer all events anyway, so too many events isn't a problem.
2. The smaller and simpler the puzzle, the more likely that a solve or average will be influenced (positively or negatively) by blind luck.
Therefore, whenever possible add more, more difficult events. 6BLD, 7BLD, 4 and 5 MBLD, and gigaminx. Who cares that few people compete: only offer those events tentatively, and announce ahead of time if enough people have signed up for an event to hold it.

sqAree

WCA
2015JAEH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't see the benefit in removing any event (if I can remove an event it would be clock because it's trivial though). More events don't harm anyone. You can organize comps with only the main events. And, honestly, if those comps are not interesting enough to make many people come, it implies the side events are less "side" events than you thought!

Furthermore it's great to have the possibility to get official results for many puzzles in a way, data / record processing is much easier, contrary to that UWR culture in some events.

turtwig

If you're going to remove events, I think it shouldn't go farther than Feet, Clock, MBLD, 4BLD, 5BLD. 7x7 and 6x6 should not be removed, they aren't insanely hard and aren't even ao5 events.

MBLD and 4BLD aren't hard or ao5 events either. I might be a bit bias, as I practice more blind than most, but I don't think that removing the few BLD events we have and only leaving 3BLD would be a good idea.

Last edited:

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
MBLD and 4BLD aren't hard or ao5 events either. I might be a bit bias, as I practice more blind than most, but I don't think that removing the few BLD events we have and only leaving 3BLD would be a good idea.

I agree, whether big BLD or big cubes is harder is a matter of subjectivity. Many people have 5BLD as the last event they need to complete their profile, as it is obviously a difficult event, but lots of people are stuck without 6/7 means because they can't meet the cutoffs. For example, Brandon Mikel's last event before gold member status was 7x7 because he struggled to meet cutoff times for the event, especially with only one chance to do so. Matthew Dickman is another case of this: he has every WCA result completed except for 6x6 and 7x7 means, and he is also finding it hard to meet typical cutoffs at competitions.