• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

GodCubing's Progression Thread :)

What event should I pick up?

• 2x2

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Pyraminx

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Megaminx

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

GodCubing

Well I got someone to critiquey solves and they pointed out that my FB to SB and CMLL to LSE transitions were too long so I have been focusing on planning full FB in inspection and looking for DR during that.

I did some solves on Wednesday and discovered I was solving much faster than usual. So I did an ao100 yesterday and it was sub 15 (14.27). I did another ao100 today and it was also sub 15 (14.32, maybe, don't quote me on that).

I intend to keep grinding my solves and once I set on some specific CMLLs I will start learning how they effect LSE. The CMLLs in question are T pure, U pure, L pure, and H pure. Any thoughts on these cases and their alg options would be appreciated. Tomorrow morning I'll repost with the specific algs I'm looking at.

p.s. How do I make this poll go away?

Imsoosm

Well I got someone to critiquey solves and they pointed out that my FB to SB and CMLL to LSE transitions were too long so I have been focusing on planning full FB in inspection and looking for DR during that.

I did some solves on Wednesday and discovered I was solving much faster than usual. So I did an ao100 yesterday and it was sub 15 (14.27). I did another ao100 today and it was also sub 15 (14.32, maybe, don't quote me on that).

I intend to keep grinding my solves and once I set on some specific CMLLs I will start learning how they effect LSE. The CMLLs in question are T pure, U pure, L pure, and H pure. Any thoughts on these cases and their alg options would be appreciated. Tomorrow morning I'll repost with the specific algs I'm looking at.

p.s. How do I make this poll go away?
I don't think you can make the polls go away or change one, I'm also kinda annoyed about this. Maybe we should talk to the administrators to change it or something.

GodCubing

Well, that was a mistake then. Here are the algs I'm looking at:

L pure: R' D R' D R' U' R D' R D' R vs triple sune (iirc there is another one)

H pure (auf trick): R' F R U R' F R U' R' F' R vs double anti sune (for the other angle I use double sune)

T pure: F R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F2 vs R' U2 R U R' U R2 U2 R' U' R U' R' (for the ending F2 I do it all with my right thumb going from FDR to FUL)

U pure: F2 R U' R' U R U R2 F' R F' vs R U R' U R U2 R2 U' R U' R' U2 R (left pointer F + right thumb F, for the back sune I do a beido for the ending U2 and a broken double flick for the former 2 U's)

Any thoughts on these algs or alt algs would be appreciated.

voidrx

H pure (auf trick): R' F R U R' F R U' R' F' R vs double anti sune (for the other angle I use double sune)

T pure: F R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F2 vs R' U2 R U R' U R2 U2 R' U' R U' R' (for the ending F2 I do it all with my right thumb going from FDR to FUL)

U pure: F2 R U' R' U R U R2 F' R F' vs R U R' U R U2 R2 U' R U' R' U2 R (left pointer F + right thumb F, for the back sune I do a beido for the ending U2 and a broken double flick for the former 2 U's)

For the T pure, I would do R U R' U R U2' R' U2' R' U' R U' R' U2' R. That alg does nothing to the edges so you can see exactly what you are going to get after CMLL.
I use the second alg for U pure.
For the H pure, it's better to do the RU gen alg.
And I prefer triple sune for L pure.

Imsoosm

This is an OLL alg, but I also use it for L pure CMLL and 2x2 CLL.
Do your alg R' D R' D R' U' R D' R D' R, then do U.
Do this alg from that direction: R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R U' R' F R F'
Kinda long, but really good fingertricks, I can sub-0.8 it.

GodCubing

Wow, ok. I changed my L pure certainly to this alg which one found: r' F' r U' R' F2 U2 R U R' U R. I like it because the fingertricks are pretty consistent for me and it's one move longer than my previous alg. The J Perm one is pretty nice too, but it's a few too many moves.

I'm also thinking about H diag as R' F R' F' R2 f' U f R' f' R2 f. It's definitely fun and I don't mind the regrip into LSE. It's also much shorter, but the TPS spam of triple sune is very enticing same with the F 3x unsexy F'. I'm gonna keep playing with them and thinking about it. I think the RFU pure H is faster than double sune and by extension double anti sune so I will for certain use it as an auf trick.

Other than that I'm not sure about whether to use sevilz columns sune and antisune algs (or s***sune and s***antisune as they are sometimes called) the algs are a bit risky, but they end in home grip which the normal RUD alg does not.

Another random thing I thought of is the difference between a regrip from thumb on bottom to thumb on front and a regrip fr thumb on front to thumb somewhere else on front. I think I will refer to the latter as a replacement in the future and I think it is still a hindrance to turning, but not as much as for the standard regrip which involves moving your fingers away from the cube whereas a replacement is less distance than a quarter turn usually.

p.s. this post looks like a foreign language lol
p.p.s I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow after a swim meet so plenty of time for solves but they won't be stackmat or anything. I did an average of 50 today which was a mean 15.00 (I was not very focused and did not abuse inspection as much, the low 14s from my previous ao100s we're not means. The means were like mid 14) and I got a PB on stackmat of 7.50 which I'm happy about. Crazy solve, 3 move FB DR, I planned FB and SS in inspection then got a free pair and the rest I don't remember.
p.p.p.s. who tf is gonna read all this?

Last edited:

GodCubing

Me

It's interesting to see someone improving at roux, all I really know about it is beginner roux, not the steps you might take to get better.
It was late when I wrote that and it was on mobile so it looked really long. Thanks for the comment though, it made me very happy, but I probably shouldn't go compliment fishing again, it's not a good look lol.

Moving on, today I did some FB practice to get better at efficient FB, however I did not practice doing it in inspection and I kinda cheated basing movecount based neither on SHTM or HTM, but based on how many moves it would be to execute (U D would be counted as one move). I should probably keep practicing that except allow no moves u til the full FB has been planned and no redoing the scramble and use SHTM.

I also did 126 solves with a mean of 14.57. I made some dumb mistakes which should be easy to fix. Another big pause in my solves is between CMLL and LSE as @voidrx pointed out and so I will try to learn how my CMLLs effect LSE but I'm not really sure how to go about memorizing that. Tips would be nice.

Also I'm thinking I will just use all the zoomer algs I listed until I'm consistent enough with them that it isn't a risk. Then again, I know myself and I tend to flip flop more than a flag in the wind. I might try to get some times for the algs so I can better compare them.

GodCubing

These algs are fun. Even if they are not fast I enjoy them and that keeps me cubing. I did a little recap on EOLR because I forgot a few cases or am slow to recognize them. I'm on vacation right now so don't expect much. I'm also focusing on doing RU solutions as much as possible during SB and doing pair first if I spot it. I'm not doing enough solves to use these LSE diagrams, maybe I'll do L10P scrambles and refer to the guide until I don't have to look at the guide anymore. That could be a more effective way to practice, after vacation.

GodCubing

I did like 500 solves yesterday and I'm getting slightly faster. Once I start to plateau I'll work on more specific stuff. I'm starting to do EOLRb in some easy scenarios and it's really fun, so are the risky algs. I'm listening to Harry Potter during my solves and it's very good. Over the past few days I have read the first 3 books I'm on the 4th one right now.

GodCubing

Ok, yeah, FTO is fun.i learned it today for the 3rd time and actually did it a few times. I think I could get faster if it stopped locking up so I want to make a RexTO.

GodCubing

I'm now trying to be CN and I can do most of the ones within the white orbit reasonably well. I'm also trying to learn 2 look l3t, but if I'm being honest I'm not very good at either of these things yet.

Haven't done a timed solve since a few days ago, but I think I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 minutes (yeah, I know I'm slow).

Silky

what's so fun about FTO, kilominx and master pyraminx?
not to be harsh or anything, just asking sincerely
Well, for Kilo and Prya specifically, the same question exists for nxn events. What makes 2x2/5x5/6x6/7x7 fun? 5x5-7x7 are just 'rehashes' of 4x4 and 2x2 is just a simpler version of 3x3. The general answer is the higher/lower order events add variety/novelty while still being accessible. For other nxn events 3x3 concepts transfer seamlessly while also introducing new ideas and a greater challenge (or just a different one). For many Mega is a relatively long and tedious event. Kilo fixes this because it can be a seen as a more streamlined version of the puzzle. For Pyra many people are turned off because the event is too short. Master Pyra fixes this by making the event more challenging. Obviously the bonus is that for anyone that already likes these events there super easy to get into. FTO is a different situation. While Kilo and Pyra are fun because they are similar to other events FTO is fun because it's NOT. You have to approach FTO with a completely new frame of mind. Other events don't transfer to the event but here this is a good thing because it maintains such a unique identity. Even so, the event still has similar basic ideas. I usually compare it to 4x4 and Yau. You start with 1 center and solve two 'pairs' (in this case triplets). You then solve the remaining centers (again similar to Yau) and then finish the first 2 layers. Then your left with last layer which is composed of L3T into EPLL. All of these are familiar concepts but you have the additional challenge of trying to learn it without really understanding how to manipulate pieces. It feels like when you first learn notation on 3x3 and you don't really understand how each turn moves the pieces. FTO is also around the same length of 4x4 and only require 4 algs to learn how to solve (2 of them are sledge/hedge).

tldr: They adds new concepts/complexity and/or streamline the event while also maintaining accessibility.