• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

GodCubing's Progression Thread :)

What event should I pick up?

• 2x2

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Pyraminx

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Megaminx

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, for Kilo and Prya specifically, the same question exists for nxn events. What makes 2x2/5x5/6x6/7x7 fun? 5x5-7x7 are just 'rehashes' of 4x4 and 2x2 is just a simpler version of 3x3. The general answer is the higher/lower order events add variety/novelty while still being accessible. For other nxn events 3x3 concepts transfer seamlessly while also introducing new ideas and a greater challenge (or just a different one). For many Mega is a relatively long and tedious event. Kilo fixes this because it can be a seen as a more streamlined version of the puzzle. For Pyra many people are turned off because the event is too short. Master Pyra fixes this by making the event more challenging. Obviously the bonus is that for anyone that already likes these events there super easy to get into. FTO is a different situation. While Kilo and Pyra are fun because they are similar to other events FTO is fun because it's NOT. You have to approach FTO with a completely new frame of mind. Other events don't transfer to the event but here this is a good thing because it maintains such a unique identity. Even so, the event still has similar basic ideas. I usually compare it to 4x4 and Yau. You start with 1 center and solve two 'pairs' (in this case triplets). You then solve the remaining centers (again similar to Yau) and then finish the first 2 layers. Then your left with last layer which is composed of L3T into EPLL. All of these are familiar concepts but you have the additional challenge of trying to learn it without really understanding how to manipulate pieces. It feels like when you first learn notation on 3x3 and you don't really understand how each turn moves the pieces. FTO is also around the same length of 4x4 and only require 4 algs to learn how to solve (2 of them are sledge/hedge).

tldr: They adds new concepts/complexity and/or streamline the event while also maintaining accessibility.
thanks so much for the effort put in this in-depth explanation <3

Silky

thanks so much for the effort put in this in-depth explanation <3
For sure! I understand how it can be difficult to get into non-wca events. I can attest that FTO is just as fun as other WCA events and even more fun than several others (I have as much fun as I would with 4x4 and prefer it quite a bit to OH).

To point out how good FTO is I'd like to illustrate a point. If we compare FTO to Kilominx, Kilo already has a built in community from Mega solvers, good hardware due to good mega hardware, and lots of resources due to only needing to know how to solve mega. FTO, on the other hand, has fewer resources and worse hardware yet has a larger community, more competition, and has had a longer more consistent push to be added to the WCA. I think that this speaks volumes to how good the events is despite its roadblocks. I don't want to hype up the event too much and set unrealistic expectations but I would recommend to anyone to go pick up an FTO. Totally worth it imo. And even is you don't end up doing it seriously, it's still a fun casual puzzle :)

GodCubing

I'm thinking about trying 2x2 because I think it's pretty easy to get really good and I am pretty good at recognizing CLL. Also it would be nice to get good at TPS.

Also I'm going to record a DFDB recognition video today (see, now I have to do it).

Where should I learn my CLLs from?

Imsoosm

I'm thinking about trying 2x2 because I think it's pretty easy to get really good and I am pretty good at recognizing CLL. Also it would be nice to get good at TPS.

Also I'm going to record a DFDB recognition video today (see, now I have to do it).

Where should I learn my CLLs from?
Speedcubedb should do just fine, or you can use the best 2x2 alg doc.

Depending on the person, some algs might also better than standard ones, so take your time choosing the alg you want for a certain case.

GodCubing

I think I have finally settled on my CMLLs here is the link:
https://www.speedcubedb.com/pdfalgsheet/852/CMLL

For some cases you may notice there are 2 algs. The second alg is my OH alg to be (when I learn them) and the first one is my 2h alg.

You may notice a lot of lefty (r) algs and that is because I do right-handed M moves so it makes the transition from CMLL to LSE easier.

I'm still considering:
F' U' r' F r U' r' F r U' r' F r F vs. F U' R2 D R' U2 R D' R2 U F' for H diag
R U2 R' F R' F' R U' R U' R' vs. L' U' L U' L F' L' F L' U2 L for Antisune diag
*the bold ones are the ones I'm using atm

So I guess I'm not exactly done, but this is the most comfortable I have been with my CMLLs in a while and whichever of these 4 algs I end up using I will be happy with.

GodCubing

Speedcubedb should do just fine, or you can use the best 2x2 alg doc.

Depending on the person, some algs might also better than standard ones, so take your time choosing the alg you want for a certain case.
im actually learning these now and im not sure whether i am executing this alg right or maybe i should be using another one: (U') R' F R2 F' U' R' U' R2 U R'