• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Goal to become Sub-15 On 3x3

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well... You definitely don’t need 2LLL for sub 15, but if you want to, finish learning them. Practise them as well, drill your algs, and train recognition. Cross should be planned out in inspection, for now, work on seeing it in unlimited inspection - you’ll use less and less time as you become more proficient. Crosses should be fairly efficient. Know every single F2L case, try learn all of them intuitively. Go over all your own F2L algs, and drill them - you should be able to see a F2L case and execute the algorithm immediately. Look for the best F2L pair if you can, don’t zoom in on one - and also work on lookahead. If you plan your cross, you can start looking for F2L pieces, and during each F2L algorithm, you can start looking for the next.

Mike3451

WCA
2019LINJ06
I would just say to focus on F2L and drill all the algorithms you use. At this level, I don't think Full OLL is necessary for you yet. Learn Advanced F2L and spend a lot of time practicing it and integrating it into your solves. Get all of the Advanced F2L cases into muscle memory. When you are around averaging around 20 seconds, start working on F2L look ahead.

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I would just say to focus on F2L and drill all the algorithms you use. At this level, I don't think Full OLL is necessary for you yet. Learn Advanced F2L and spend a lot of time practicing it and integrating it into your solves. Get all of the Advanced F2L cases into muscle memory. When you are around averaging around 20 seconds, start working on F2L look ahead.
If he’s already learning, might as well finish now and get more experience using it.

CuberStache

WCA
2016DAVI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would recommend learning full OLL. It's really not that hard and the time it saves will make getting sub-15 easier than not learning it. That said, F2L efficiency and lookahead is probably more important at this point. Make sure you're doing the best solutions for every possible pair, and learn how to do some from different angles. Also, make sure you can do U2 double flicks with both hands and D2 flicks with the left hand for A-perms.

I agree Full OLL isn't necessary but learning it early means you will only get better at implementing it into your solves and it should be smoother and more effective once you do hit that sub-15 mark. Just understand full OLL isn't whats going to get you over the plateau you're currently on.

Focus on Cross during in inspection and a great F2L...we all get bogged down learning algs and last layer stuff that we incorrectly turn the other cheek to the intuitive portion of our solves...but that's where the magic happens! Anyone can spam TPS but the best solvers have fantastic intuition and understanding of the cube mechanics and that's what sets them apart.

OreKehStrah

Make sure, before ANYTHING ELSE, you learn good fingertricks and turning technique. Don’t learn any new algs or tricks. Learn proper fingertricks before anything else, otherwise you will hit a skill cap and have to undo potentially years of crappy fingertricks and muscle memory like me.

maticuber

WCA
2009MACA01
Make sure, before ANYTHING ELSE, you learn good fingertricks and turning technique. Don’t learn any new algs or tricks. Learn proper fingertricks before anything else, otherwise you will hit a skill cap and have to undo potentially years of crappy fingertricks and muscle memory like me.
That's a really good point, I'm currently re-learning firgertricks and turning technique (tbh back in my day thing like homegrip weren't a thing), and it really limits you.

OreKehStrah

That's a really good point, I'm currently re-learning firgertricks and turning technique (tbh back in my day thing like homegrip weren't a thing), and it really limits you.
It's definitely a pain. I'm pretty much updating all my algs and fingertricks and it sucks lol.

Zain_A24

Guys This is my first thread.
Please help......I average about 25 seconds on 3x3. I know full 1-Look PLL and 35 algorithms of 1-Look OLL. So guys please help me to become Sub-15.
What Should I do?
I am in a similar position to yourself.

Have you considered joining the Ultimate Cubing League. You would be competing against cubers of a similar level to yourself, and I will be keeping the forum updated on tips and tricks on how to reach those milestones (Currently working towards sub-15 myself)

Link - https://www.speedsolving.com/threads/the-ultimate-cubing-league-starting-1st-june.77609/

I would recommend working on F2L efficiency. I am currently working through the JPerm F2L PDF and finding the cases that I am doing inefficiently and looking at alternative solutions and learning them with some level of intuition (as opposed to memorising). Pairs should usually take a few setup moves followed by a 3 or 4 move insertion (with a few exceptions) so if it is taking you more moves to carry these pairs out, it might be worth referring to the document. Also become accustomed to inserting pairs into the back if you are not already. F2L takes up the majority of the solve, so it is important that this area is prioritised.

Cross should take around 8 moves or less. I would recommend looking at JPerm's tutorial if it takes more. Practise cross with extra inspection for a while until eventually you can plan the entire cross during inspection.

Colour neutrality may be worth looking at since it will be much easier now than at sub-15. It won't improve your times just yet but will be beneficial down the line.

Other than that, full OLL is not a long way away, but recognition of algorithms such as PLL from 2 sides will be beneficial to avoid long pauses if this is the case.

Summary
Cross
- 8 moves or less

F2L
- Back insertions
- Commit to muscle memory (turning as fast as possible)
- Efficiency - 8 to 11 moves (roughly)

OLL and PLL

- Train recognition (2 Sided PLL recognition
- Fingertricks --> JPerm / Cubeskills

General
- Colour neutrality -->Solving on any cross colour (not essential but advised)

Best of luck.

Last edited: