• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Getting started

David Pritts

Hey folks,

I'm a bit curious about OH cubing... I've never been able to do it, but it looks like a lot of fun. Back in HS a couple years ago I got bored and decided to try to solve the cube one handed... I think it took me like 6+ minutes, and was a miserable experience.

A few questions

1) Like all other forms of cubing, I'm sure there are some good basic guides for getting started. Which one do you guys recommend?

2) One issue I have with cubing in general is that I am unable to remember the moves of algorithms. However, I don't mean that I have trouble learning them... I can do that just fine. But, I seem to do so strictly with muscle-memory. If someone asks me "what is the algorithm for {some case}?", I often have to spend some time executing the algorithm over and over again in order to figure out what it is on paper. Sometimes, I can't even do it, because I'm unable to execute algorithms slowly.

This problem also manifests itself when I try to solve big cubes, and have trouble using my algorithms when the big cube forces me to slow down.

I figured OH solving might help me with this, forcing me to *know* my algorithms. So I was wondering what percentage of your "standard algorithms" do you use for OH? Is it impractical for me to use my old ones?

3) Are there some people who are just NOT dexterous, and thus fail at OH cubing? If so, I worry that might be me :( I do have fairly long fingers, though.

4) How long does it take to learn? (a bad question, I know)

thanks for any input!

David

EDIT: Just attempted OH solve. I started off by solving the cross wrong, which was nice. F2L finished in ~2 min. I use 3LLL, but got lucky and got one of the 2 OLL cases that I know (T-OLL, very easy). So OLL took ~10 seconds. Then I got a 3-cycle PLL, which I ****ed up. Had to reorient with sune (which I ****ed up as well), then reorient again with sune+M`UMU2M`UM, then I got a G perm, tried to solve it with a T-perm+3cycle, but I ****ed up the T-perm and then....

ya you get the idea :) i don't know my algorithms except from muscle memory:(

Result: DNF

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't give up. Just look at the PLLs you messed up one at a time and try to do them one-handed a few times. You'll probably mess them up again, and have to try again, and maybe again. Just keep trying until you get them right. You'll slowly get where you know the PLLs via non-muscle-memory. I think that's one of the best things you get out of learning to solve OH.

Eventually I'm sure you get where you have muscle memory for your OH solves as well, but I've never gotten all that good at OH, so I'm still thinking my way through most of my algorithms.

niKo

WCA
2008KAUF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just started OH today. I solved it the first time I tried (didn't time it), but had serious problems remembering algs. This was with my pretty new DIY (not yet broken in).

-niKo

ajmorgan25

WCA
2008MORG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, it's pretty hard to do the 2h algs with one hand. Muscle memory plays a big part in solving the cube which is a good thing in my opinion. When you're doing algorithms, you don't want to think through them.

I just started OH today. I solved it the first time I tried (didn't time it), but had serious problems remembering algs. This was with my pretty new DIY (not yet broken in).

-niKo

DIYs don't need to be broken in, you can just set the tension to be looser!

Rama

WCA
2006TEMM01

-niKo

DIYs don't need to be broken in, you can just set the tension to be looser!

Yes they do, my Rubik's DIY's all have tight tensions, they pop a lot less then cubes wich are new and has a loose tension.

HEY!!!
I started OH today...of course i did some OH-Solves but today, i learned some algs for OH...so my best time is 37.34 seconds and my first average ever is 56.94 seconds (45.92 37.34 1:05.19 55.53 1:05.88 1:02.45 1:02.8 1:07.41 59.95 44.45 50.08 57.16)
It's really a lot of fun:):D

Greetings...Dennis;):)

SajberPinGu

If you have trouble with doing the PLL and OLLs then sit down and doit slow and understand exactly what your are doing!
When you have done this you will be able to do it how ever you want even with feet, and i think it is good for training the brain in 3D also.