• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Getting a (fast) friend interested in competing

richardye1

Hi to all.
I am a (retired) cuber living in the new york city area. This summer, i met this guy who was super fast at cubing who has not competed before.
He averages 47 sec on megaminx and his record is 34 seconds (no typo here).
Obviously hes an exceptional cuber, but i want him to get known. I know there are competitions in the new york city area soon, but i need ideas on how i can convince him to attend one!

Thanks to all, feedback is greatly appreciated

ToastyMufn

If I were you, I would tell him he has an actual chance at getting a wr. I think that's pretty persuading!

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I know who this guy is, I'm planning on hosting a comp on long island accessible by train soon, if that one goes well, I'mma host one with exotic events like megaminx.

Megaminx is exotic!?

Yeah, that sounds like the guy who posts in the accomplishment thread sometimes. It would be good to see him go to a competition! Just try to make it on a date he can make ;)

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
At US comps, anything not 2-4, OH, BLD, Pyra, or Skewb is exotic.

Still, there are far less popular events. Mega has the 8th most people out of every event. Even more than Skewb at the moment - though since it's a new event that's likely to change soon.

Also, the difference between numbers of 3BLD and Mega competitors is only 33!

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Still, there are far less popular events. Mega has the 8th most people out of every event. Even more than Skewb at the moment - though since it's a new event that's likely to change soon.

In the US, megaminx isn't held super often really.

At US comps, anything not 2-4, OH, BLD, Pyra, or Skewb is exotic.
5x5 isn't exotic around here imo.

Torch

WCA
2014GOSL01
YouTube
Visit Channel

But those are worldwide numbers. I'm sure if you looked at US only numbers it would be a different story.
5x5 isn't exotic around here imo.
True, I debated whether to include it or not.