• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Garf's Progression Thread - Speedrunning MC/TWHG - Road to World Class Mega

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am back guys. It looks like you guys had a lot to talk about.
Sorry I haven't the time on the forums. I have been caught up in activities. However, I wanted to get some points across that I noticed in these replies.
That's what he was talking about. I don't think it's very common that a bump on your head results in very specific memory loss. If it were true, why would he only lose memories regarding cubing? That doesn't make sense at all.
First of all, I didn't just loose memory in cubing. I didn't know anyone or anything. I mean, I could still walk and talk and eat. I just... was an empty shell.
But I have had more time remembering stuff about my life than cubing, so it may seem that way, but I assure you, I lost my memory about everyone and who I am.
Anyway, if he had memory loss he would have forgot how to type anyway
I don't think that is how amnesia works. My memory of the past is better now, although some things are still fuzzy. Like where I am from. No one wants to tell me that.
Anyway, I believe the term for using the keyboard within the homerow keys is called touch-typing. Reaching out to the appropriate keys is muscle memory to me, which I didn't loose.
There is a chance he was trolling, but he doesn’t seem to be banned as there is still ‘Member’ displayed under his name rather than ‘banned’. He was also last seen yesterday so he’s not going anywhere

yh, the only reason I would have ‘fallen’ for it would be because I didn’t want to come across as an insensitive brat
Don't worry. I haven't been banned. Only have been really busy.
This is certainly a strange situation...

Garf does seem to like the idea of "restarting" in some way, for example, the first post in this thread is this:

Perhaps he wanted a reason to go back and break some bad habits, but using memory loss (and a suspiciously specific type) as an excuse is definitely not a very good idea, and made some people understandably concerned for his health.
If this is in fact real (which I am certainly heavily doubting), then it makes sense, but it doesn't seem that way; and playing with peoples' feelings like that is just not ok.

In any case, the lack of clarity on the reality of the situation means that the mods took the right action in banning him for now. I'm hoping this isn't a lie, but I don't have high hopes...
I also noticed that, when I went back to reread my successes/progression in cubing. However, I promise you that I truly did suffer amnesia, whether you would like to believe it or not.

Imsoosm

First of all, I didn't just loose memory in cubing. I didn't know anyone or anything. I mean, I could still walk and talk and eat. I just... was an empty shell.
But I have had more time remembering stuff about my life than cubing, so it may seem that way, but I assure you, I lost my memory about everyone and who I am.
Hmmm... What about school? Are you just going to be homeschooled, or do you go to school and fail every class? Or do you magically remember everything from school?
For your information, here are the symptoms of amnesia:
You will have difficulty learning new information (anterograde), and you have difficulty remembering past events and previously familar information (retrograde).

It seems like you're learning new info pretty fast, so I'd say you probably have retrograde amnesia.
" People with amnesia usually can understand written and spoken words and can learn skills such as bike riding or piano playing."
Okay, so you still might know how to cube because cubing was a pretty big part of your life. What about the things you learned at school? Your parents names? Any random object around you, do you still know what they're called? How do you know the objects on your table are called cubes?? What if they're called spheres? How do you know you're actually supposed to solve them, not break them apart?

According to this website, cubing should be part of your ingrained memory. You've memorized hundreds of algorithms into your muscle memory and was really familiar with them. So relearning them should be no big deal. If you can learn stuff pretty fast, then again, the other type of amnesia is erasing memories of your everyday life. How do you still know how to use a laptop?? Bike riding is considered "second nature", according to this website. How do you know what the buttons in front of you are for, what the buttons on the thing that's called a "mouse" are for? Damn, how do you even know who your siblings/cousins are, who that person with long hair who is tending to that poor big bump on your head is? If it was me I would be pretty scared of waking up to a bunch of strangers touching my head.

"It can be pretty distressing to have a family member go through a period of amnesia. This person may forget who you are, who they are, or even your shared past. The first thing you can do to help your loved one and yourself is to come to terms with the situation."

Don't worry. I haven't been banned. Only have been really busy.
I feel like the whole thing is a joke by this statement. You certainly do seem like you have been banned, your last post from exactly 2 weeks ago.

Again, as IsThatA4x4 said, playing with other people's feelings is not okay. You've got some people actually believing you and feeling sympathetic for you but it's all just a big sadistic joke.

Man, you're 15 now right? Joking about amnesia is wrong and mean to the people who actually have the sickness.

Citations:

Last edited:

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmmm... What about school? Are you just going to be homeschooled, or do you go to school and fail every class? Or do you magically remember everything from school?
For your information, here are the symptoms of amnesia:
You will have difficulty learning new information (anterograde), and you have difficulty remembering past events and previously familar information (retrograde).

It seems like you're learning new info pretty fast, so I'd say you probably have retrograde amnesia.
" People with amnesia usually can understand written and spoken words and can learn skills such as bike riding or piano playing."
Okay, so you still might know how to cube because cubing was a pretty big part of your life. What about the things you learned at school? Your parents names? Any random object around you, do you still know what they're called? How do you know the objects on your table are called cubes?? What if they're called spheres? How do you know you're actually supposed to solve them, not break them apart?

According to this website, cubing should be part of your ingrained memory. You've memorized hundreds of algorithms into your muscle memory and was really familiar with them. So relearning them should be no big deal. If you can learn stuff pretty fast, then again, the other type of amnesia is erasing memories of your everyday life. How do you still know how to use a laptop?? Bike riding is considered "second nature", according to this website. How do you know what the buttons in front of you are for, what the buttons on the thing that's called a "mouse" are for? Damn, how do you even know who your siblings/cousins are, who that person with long hair who is tending to that poor big bump on your head is? If it was me I would be pretty scared of waking up to a bunch of strangers touching my head.

"It can be pretty distressing to have a family member go through a period of amnesia. This person may forget who you are, who they are, or even your shared past. The first thing you can do to help your loved one and yourself is to come to terms with the situation."

I feel like the whole thing is a joke by this statement. You certainly do seem like you have been banned, your last post from exactly 2 weeks ago.

Again, as IsThatA4x4 said, playing with other people's feelings is not okay. You've got some people actually believing you and feeling sympathetic for you but it's all just a big sadistic joke.

Man, you're 15 now right? Joking about amnesia is wrong and mean to the people who actually have the sickness.

Citations:
Uh, I am going to in-person school. And I have been cubing a bit, and I remember how to use each algorithm.
And I promise you, I have not been banned. I have just been busy getting ready for school and sports.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are quite a few pieces of evidence that points otherwise.
  1. Your last post was from exactly 2 weeks ago.
  2. You said you didn't have time to come onto SS, yet during that period of time I have seen you online multiple times.
  3. During those 2 weeks you were not on here it only showed "last seen yesterday at 11:37 am", which is what it would show if you were banned and didn't check the box "Show your current activity". And I know for a fact you didn't, at least before when you didn't "lose" your memory.
  4. If you weren't banned, why are you online everday now when you still have school?
Just drop the act already before you get banned for a longer time, please.
Dude. School started yesterday. I was online sometimes because I didn't have total access to my chromebook. Why don't you believe me that I wasn't banned?

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so in my world studies class I have to know all the countries in the world. So starting today I am learning them all through seterra geoguesser. I already know all of Europe, and am almost done with Asia. I heard Africa is hard so I will conquer that next. Then after Africa I will do South America, the Australia, then North America and Latin America.

A mythical land filled with talking Ducks
WCA
2022MCCO11
Okay, so in my world studies class I have to know all the countries in the world. So starting today I am learning them all through seterra geoguesser. I already know all of Europe, and am almost done with Asia. I heard Africa is hard so I will conquer that next. Then after Africa I will do South America, the Australia, then North America and Latin America.
Is not Latin America just South America plus all NA countries minus USA, Canada, and México? I don't know why you would memorize some twice.

The way I would approach it is via flashcards. Memorize them by alphabetical order, then shuffle them up and recite them. Then, learn how the natives say the name of their country. Flashcards are super effective for me, but maybe that's not the case for you.

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so I am getting a lot of sub-4 solves on 7x7. I have pretty much given up on megaminx for right now. I know this may be a shocker for all of you, but ever since I lost my memory, I didn't find megaminx all that appealing to me.
So now, I am focusing on big cubes (5x5, 6x6, 7x7). @gsingh, tips for those events would be appreciated.

gsingh

WCA
2019SING33
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so I am getting a lot of sub-4 solves on 7x7. I have pretty much given up on megaminx for right now. I know this may be a shocker for all of you, but ever since I lost my memory, I didn't find megaminx all that appealing to me.
So now, I am focusing on big cubes (5x5, 6x6, 7x7). @gsingh, tips for those events would be appreciated.
I don't use redux, but I am pretty good at redux for 5x5. I'll tell you what I know later.