• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Gans 356 Air UM vs WeiLong GTS v2

fatymid

Hi,

I was (am) using Dayan Zhanchi 5 for a quite some time and I decided to try something new. Magnetic cubes seem to be a very interesting choice, but because of the higher price, there is some uncertainty.

Gans 356 Air UM vs WeiLong GTS v2 - which one would you choose and why?

Or maybe you have some other thoughts on upgrading my cube?

Riley M

WCA
2017MADD03
I would (and did) choose the Gans Air Um because it fits my turning style very well and can be adjusted easily with the GES nuts. However if you are going for budget, then you should buy the GTS2M. Both are extraordinary cubes.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I'm really happy right now with my Qiyi Warrior W M. The Warrior W is cheap (~$4) and 48 of these magnets cost $3.84. Easy to magnetize, cheap, and really good.

Zerksies

The magnets in the UM are WAY too strong. Thats why they now have the SM which has lighter magnets. But out of all three cubes that I have the UM,SM and GTS2m I prefer the Gts2m

fatymid

Thanks.

I was also looking at QiYi MoFangGe 3x3x3 The Valk M. How does it compare to GTS v2? I do not want to magnetize the cube myself, that's why I checked Valk M.

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't have those cubes, but have tried both. Here is what I think.

If you are decent at setting up cubes, aren't very aggressive when it comes to turning, and like magnets in cubes, get the UM/ SM asap, if you like crunchy cubes, cubes that take more breaking in, GTS2 is the way to go.

fatymid

Aforementioned Dayan Zhanchi was my first and only cube, I've been using it without any lubes or changes. I've never customized a cube.

I am looking for something different and I found about "new" trend with magnets in cubes and I thought about giving it a try.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Aforementioned Dayan Zhanchi was my first and only cube, I've been using it without any lubes or changes. I've never customized a cube.

I am looking for something different and I found about "new" trend with magnets in cubes and I thought about giving it a try.

I recommend getting some lube, and a screwdriver, and maybe some superglue and magnets, and try setting up a cube. It's not that hard, and it's really pretty fun to see what you can do.

fatymid

I wanted to buy a second cube and try to work on Zhanchi that way.

The question remains: which cube should I go for?

ReversedPlus

My main is a gans UM, but if you are on a budget get the mass-produced gtsV2 M. I think the UM is like 10% better than the gtsV2 for double the price. But I'm a gans person, I am so much better with it. Although, if you have tried a gans at a comp and you really like it, go for it.

Zerksies

Thanks.

I was also looking at QiYi MoFangGe 3x3x3 The Valk M. How does it compare to GTS v2? I do not want to magnetize the cube myself, that's why I checked Valk M.
Magnets seem weaker then the GTS2m. The valk when set up properly is alot smoother then the GTS2m. I would say if you know someone with the cubes try them out.

fatymid

I do not know anybody who is into cubes :(

OK, I ordered WeiLong GTS v2 M along with 2v2 and mirror cube to have more fun. Let's hope I will not regret it.

Last edited:
I wanted to buy a second cube and try to work on Zhanchi that way.

The question remains: which cube should I go for?

The three main contenders are:

Qiyi MFG Valk M- stable, kind of tight, smooth, kind of but not really weak magnets. Smooth, but with a little bumpiness. Great if your turning style is kind of light. Price: $42 for the mass-produced version, $50 for the cubicle premium version.

Moyu Weilong GTS2 M- a little more flexible and loose, but still much more stable then the mon magnetic one. A little bumpy. Great for a kind of rough turning style. $26 for the mass-produced, $50 for the cubicle premium.

Gan 356 air UM/SM- very, very smooth, can be adjusted with the GES to your turning style. Turning style almost doesn't really matter on these cubes because of the GES. $47 for the UM, the SM is on sale for a few days at $40. The SM will be $50 soon tho.

All of these puzzles have great cornercutting no pops, etc. Of course, the magnets add a little click at the end of each turn, so they won't be 100% smooth.