• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] GAN 356XS vs GAN 356 X Comparison - Thoughts and Opinions

What settings are you currently using (choose 3 options)

• Strong Magnets

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Medium Magnets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weak Magnets

• Blue - 1

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Blue - 2

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Blue - 3

• Blue - 4

• Clear - 1

• Clear - 2

• Clear - 3

• Clear - 4

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Clear - 5

• Clear - 6

• Total voters

Zain_A24

Just got the GAN 356XS on the way and will be writing a review on it in this thread.
I was just wondering what everyone else thinks of it and how it compares to the GAN 356X.

What settings are you guys using for:
- Magnet Strength
- Blue
- Clear

It has received some mixed but overall positive results, with cubers admiring its lighter weight and faster turning, whilst others have called this cube too uncontrollable for certain turning styles.

Feel free to post your opinions below, and I will be sure to add to those when the cube arrives, as well as a comparison to the GAN X and some performance analysis, testing out every combination of customisation to find out which one is best for different turning styles.

Some Other Reviews:

Last edited:

MarkA64

WCA
2019ABRA07
YouTube
Visit Channel
My review:

The XS definitely feels more papery than the X which some people might like more. There has been a trade made between cornercutting and stability - the XS is more stable for sure and less flexible, but doesn't corner cut as well (at least when testing). It can cut only one block when testing. The matte finish is probably a neutral change. Both would benefit from PVC coating. Both are generally better on tighter settings (yellow GES on the X and 1-2 settings on the hex nuts on the X) for competitions.

The two sound very different. The X is much quieter while the XS is more reminiscent of the MGC perhaps. This is probably due to the piece differences. The X is much more buttery.

The XS will also probably never cornertwist and is much easier to precisely turn than the X.

The winner for me is the XS. Gan managed to make a great upgrade and I'm excited for them to keep making good hardware.

Zain_A24

That's true, some people are like "this cube only cuts 45 degrees, it's total trash", yet I never need to go over 15ish
It has less corner cutting but the cuts it does are so effortless. My review coming soon. Just got caught up in preparing for the algorithm a day stuff.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Comvat Official WCA Competitions 1
Smcuber Buy, Sell, Trade 0
Ghost Cuber Buy, Sell, Trade 4
S Puzzle Reviews 3
J Hardware Area 5