• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] [OFFICIAL] Gan 356i discussion / software updates / issues report

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am glad that more people discuss with GAN smart cube now.

An option to opt out beginner content in main menu - no plan right now.
Cube doesn't remember rotation when starting a new battle - 2 situations involved: preset the correct position so replay can view from a better angle; or rotation is avaiable in replay. Will report this to tech team.
Save as favourite failed - Is this bug fixed? I cannot save since August. Will confirm with tech team.
Severe interrupted when someone send battle invitation during a battle - will report to tech team.
Other connections problems - can't make a summary to tech team but seems gradually gets better after each update.

Future event: "GIVE ME FIVE" - to celebrate 5th anniversary of GANCUBE. Chance to get a (ROBOT+356i) combo in limited edition.
More details please wait for update.

Will allow free rotation in replay in future updates;
Favourites/collections have reached maximum. Please try to delete some favourite solves before adding more;

AndyH

You can tell when the name is random letters and they are online on nobody else is(though I don’t see any bots recently).
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I've competed with a BOT. I work the night shift and "battle"during my breaks, Most of my opponents are in Asia.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Favourites/collections have reached maximum. Please try to delete some favourite solves before adding more;
Don't think 19 is maximum?
And I don't think that's the problem, because I was able to favorite something right after the solve when I earlier tried it, it just doesn't work when you try to save from old solves. It used to work tho, something changed.

edit. now that I tried to save my latest solve it didn't save, so there goes that theory. I guess it's safe to say most of the solves are unsaveable atm.

Last edited:

Plasmo

I am glad that more people discuss with GAN smart cube now.

An option to opt out beginner content in main menu - no plan right now.
Cube doesn't remember rotation when starting a new battle - 2 situations involved: preset the correct position so replay can view from a better angle; or rotation is avaiable in replay. Will report this to tech team.
Save as favourite failed - Is this bug fixed? I cannot save since August. Will confirm with tech team.
Severe interrupted when someone send battle invitation during a battle - will report to tech team.
Other connections problems - can't make a summary to tech team but seems gradually gets better after each update.

Future event: "GIVE ME FIVE" - to celebrate 5th anniversary of GANCUBE. Chance to get a (ROBOT+356i) combo in limited edition.
More details please wait for update.
I got the Give me Five popup and would like to know more about it but I cannot read Chinese. Can someone elaborate?

I got my Gan356i and it was amazing first few days. After that 1v1 battle mod started lagging insanely. And now i can't even scramble because it takes more than few seconds to load the rest of the scramble, so i usually have like 2 seconds of ispection. Also I got like 4 times in a row DNF on 1v1 battle mod, which isn't true. I can clearly see the time after i finish.
Is there going to be any huge update, I mean it looks like Gan wanted just to take money as fast as they can.
Translation is bad also.
Are there servers in Europe? Because that might be the real problem.

z3non

At least logging in with account in cubestation app works.
When I start shaking for connection nothing happens in cubestation app. Sometimes there pops up a message "Cubestation crashed" but I can exit the message and am actually still in the app. This message displays a lot. Even when I didn't start cubestation app. Tried in chrome https://bluetooth.cubing.net/ and hit connect -> I can see GAN device .... click pairing..... again message "Cubestation app crashed". Have Aquaris X Pro with Android 7.1.1
Maybe I'll try connecting with PC and an bluetooth adapter... is a 4.0 blutooth adapter okay with GAN 356i??? Can I emulate the cubestation app somehow on my PC?? TIA for help...
An upcoming windows app would be cool.

---EDIT--
After 2 hours I managed to connect the cube with cubestation app but it really often crashes. :/
Someone managed to use the cube with PC + some browser app for training / recording of solves?? Any tips/ help?? I don't have bluetooth adapter yet but it seems web bluetooth only is available with chrome and opera atm right??

--EDIT2--
3rd picture shows a layout bug in the AI teaching section. The retry icon should be able to be hidden away.

Attachments

• photo_2019-11--cubestation-error.jpg
    photo_2019-11--cubestation-error.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 12
  • photo_2019-phone.jpg
    photo_2019-phone.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 13
  • photo_2019-11-ai-teaching.jpg
    photo_2019-11-ai-teaching.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

kubesolver

Premium Member
I really love the battle mode experience so I will probably install the app on some cheap phone that I will use only as my gan356i station.

On my main phone I gave up with a Cube Station because I was constantly getting "The App has crashed" error like z3non (also Android 7.1.1). And not only when using the app but also when the app was closed / inactive which was very annoying.

z3non

I really love the battle mode experience so I will probably install the app on some cheap phone that I will use only as my gan356i station.

On my main phone I gave up with a Cube Station because I was constantly getting "The App has crashed" error like z3non (also Android 7.1.1). And not only when using the app but also when the app was closed / inactive which was very annoying.
This idea with a really budget phone OR tablet isn't that bad. I'll consider the same solution. Yeah, really strange even when the app is closed often the message pops up "Cubestation crashed". Cubestation is btw the only app with this problem on my entire phone.

Last edited:

nonoperez

I don't know what's the problem again, but DNF bug is here again, tried several days, I thought that was solved....
Probably more cubes sold and servers quite busy, here in Spain cube shops are selling the cube.

There is also the crash app bug....

Come on, this is GAN, a 90$ cube. The thing is I spend more time with my 356x than 356i... really disappointed, also tired of testing.

z3non

@everybody having problems with crashes with the app on mobile phones:
I just installed cubestation on an fire 7 tablet(9th gen) as an "workaround"(ATM at sale..under 40 bucks) and it works...played ~20 minutes and so far no crashes....

anyway I hope GAN can fix the problems with their app in near future... it should work on any android device!!! Come on!

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Latest update removed the connect-switch from device management, which used to be my last resort to get my cube connected (which didn't work every time, because I wasn't always able to get inside the settings menu where you change the name of the cube etc), but now that it's gone I'm having even harder times to connect my cube which isn't connecting at the moment. So please bring the connect switch back to that menu, or maybe even the menu before that. I guess it's now coded so that it only appears if the app has some sort of connection with the cube, not very handy. Need some sort of forcing connection option, at least with my cube which often seems like a sleeping cube if you ask the app, no matter how much I shake or do the U - U'-moves on white side. And yes, my cube is fully charged too when this thing happens.

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
Latest update removed the connect-switch from device management, which used to be my last resort to get my cube connected (which didn't work every time, because I wasn't always able to get inside the settings menu where you change the name of the cube etc), but now that it's gone I'm having even harder times to connect my cube which isn't connecting at the moment. So please bring the connect switch back to that menu, or maybe even the menu before that. I guess it's now coded so that it only appears if the app has some sort of connection with the cube, not very handy. Need some sort of forcing connection option, at least with my cube which often seems like a sleeping cube if you ask the app, no matter how much I shake or do the U - U'-moves on white side. And yes, my cube is fully charged too when this thing happens.

Konsta, do you use android or iOS?
I have no idea where the switch is, but I'll forward it to the tech team.
For first connection just go to personal training or online battle to start a game and the app will pop up the interface to require to connect.
For reconnection inside the app, go to setting-my device and shake or U-U' the cube.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm using android.
And those connecting options won't work for me when this happens, previously only the connect-switch from the "my device" -> "smart cube" window worked, if I was able to get inside, for some reason I wasn't able to get in there sometimes. Now I can get in, but like I said the connect-switch has been removed.
I was able to get my cube working yesterday just before I went to bed, but for example now my cube just won't wake up.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is this button?
No, it's inside the "smart cube", where you can change the name and reset etc.
My cube woke up this time normally by shaking and the button actually is there, but it's not visible when the app is not able to find the cube, which is the problem.
Previously this was the only way I was able to force the connection, even when the cube seemed like it was sleeping.
So the switch button I'm talking about is a ball that moves left and right when you click it, turning the connection off and on.

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
No, it's inside the "smart cube", where you can change the name and reset etc.
My cube woke up this time normally by shaking and the button actually is there, but it's not visible when the app is not able to find the cube, which is the problem.
Previously this was the only way I was able to force the connection, even when the cube seemed like it was sleeping.
So the switch button I'm talking about is a ball that moves left and right when you click it, turning the connection off and on.
Thanks for clarifying, I do see a switch on my iphone but I have no android on hand. It's Saturday now the tech team is off-work. I'll get back to you later.

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
Konsta, the picture I sent in previous is the way you connect to 356i.
The logic of connecting the cube is that you MUST wake up the cube to connect. And when you wake it up, it will pop up in the interface, and you click "connect". That's it! Now no need to tap the switch inside the "Smart cube".
That means if connection is lost, you had to wake it up by shaking or turning white side.

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you guys known about 356i Play? We will launch it in a month. It's a bugdet choice of 356i.
Compared to 356i, the i play doesn't have the gyroscope inside in exchange for a longer battery life.

What's your thoughts? Share with me!

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
Have you guys known about 356i Play? We will launch it in a month. It's a bugdet choice of 356i.
Compared to 356i, the i play doesn't have the gyroscope inside in exchange for a longer battery life.

What's your thoughts? Share with me!
Good news! Although most people on this thread probably won’t buy it, I can see this as a great way to expand the Gan 356i’s market, like, someone might buy this and then buy the Gan 356i in the future after seeing its basic abilities.

But the Giiker has a much higher popularity in the market of non-gyroscopic smart cubes currently, so the Gan 356i play need something different in order for the customer to consider choosing it over the Giiker.