• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] [OFFICIAL] Gan 356i discussion / software updates / issues report

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
Talvikoala.
Got my 100 done at night when most people were sleeping, fewer DNF bugs.
I just have to avoid rush hours until v1.3 comes with the fixes.

There's also a bug in previous weeks list. #10 and #11 are combined and they are both under #10.

That's weird. The app should be updated and now only 20 battles will count.
I got 25 seconds avg best of 20 but currently place #222.
Intense.

nonoperez

I think there should be another prize from 100 - all other players, this way we all will have an opportunity to win a gan robot. Now nº 100 has a 14.27s, impossible for newbies like me.

Pleeeeeeease!

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
Demo of v1.3 UI. Designed 3 types of limited avatar frame(achieved by undisclosed task). Which one do u prefer?

Attachments

• BDE54C22-7AA3-4E3B-B047-E30C914878EE.jpeg
    BDE54C22-7AA3-4E3B-B047-E30C914878EE.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 6E58A924-3201-4147-914F-098ACD9D3A18.jpeg
    6E58A924-3201-4147-914F-098ACD9D3A18.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 19
  • CDE0BA4C-6726-44D6-996E-EB50A8F55A6B.jpeg
    CDE0BA4C-6726-44D6-996E-EB50A8F55A6B.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 18

HoshiYamazaki

Demo of v1.3 UI. Designed 3 types of limited avatar frame(achieved by undisclosed task). Which one do u prefer?

Is it possible to upgrade firmware of Chinese Cube to get encryption working like in EU/USA cubes? Just curious.

Also, I prefer avatar 3.

nonoperez

Are there two different firmwares? can you explain it or give a link to understand it?

Didn't know there was two different versións of gan 356i (apart from stick - stickerless)

Thank you

HoshiYamazaki

To my knowledge there's no difference in firmware.
We do change supplier of some raw materials, that we call them different batches.

So probably this is hardware releated more than firmware.

So from what you said this sound like chinese cubes are from worse batch than actual EU/USA, but thats ok, I just wanted to hear that. If my cube will really overused I will buy another 356i because I really like competition.

@Wish Lin you can add me, my nick is Hoshi and my mo100 on Gan 356X is about 11.5 sec, here I can do sub9.5 doing bunch of solves (since only 20 best counts in). I solve if I have free time or I'm bored. Also I use CFOP with some extensions.

Thanks!

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
@HoshiYamazaki
Sorry I don't know the code. And there's no such "chinese" cubes or "EU/USA" cubes.
We initially sell 356i in domestic market only, collect any feedback from customers, make small bug fixes(both materials or software) and expand to overseas. That we call different batches. However, EU/USA users may buy from China so they might get "chinese" batch.

BTW, are you based in Japan? I wonder if there's any famous cube online shop / brick and mortar there. I'd like to seek for business. Arigatou!

HoshiYamazaki

@HoshiYamazaki
Sorry I don't know the code. And there's no such "chinese" cubes or "EU/USA" cubes.
We initially sell 356i in domestic market only, collect any feedback from customers, make small bug fixes(both materials or software) and expand to overseas. That we call different batches. However, EU/USA users may buy from China so they might get "chinese" batch.

BTW, are you based in Japan? I wonder if there's any famous cube online shop / brick and mortar there. I'd like to seek for business. Arigatou!

Thanks, that's an information I wanted to know. I'm Polish guy, just I use Hoshi Yamazaki as my nickname, and I live in Poland.
I became nervous after my first centre pop due to pin mechanism, but after next 1000 solves there is no pop, so pretty much nothing to worry about. Maybe the pin was not assembled fine at production stage.
I bought cube few days after an release from TaoBao using Chinese providers like CSS Buy (I don't really remember which one) but I have no family in Japan or friends overall.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
Thanks, that's an information I wanted to know. I'm Polish guy, just I use Hoshi Yamazaki as my nickname, and I live in Poland.
I became nervous after my first centre pop due to pin mechanism, but after next 1000 solves there is no pop, so pretty much nothing to worry about. Maybe the pin was not assembled fine at production stage.
I bought cube few days after an release from TaoBao using Chinese providers like CSS Buy (I don't really remember which one) but I have no family in Japan or friends overall.
Sorry for the delay, but I have added you to the list.:)

Plasmo

I just have been changing the tension of the cube, and in my opinion this setup experience is much worse than the GAN 356x too, I asume that we have been pampered with the easy adjustment of 356x and I recognize that I am not a very handy person but I found this:
- The cube comes with 2 extra set of 7 springs one of the set silver color and the other gold color, to me seems that the installed ones (silver too) are the same as one of the extra set but I might be wrong. Gold ones seem stronger but there is not any information in the package (at least in the English documentation)
- To remove most of the center caps just a nail is not enough as it is very hard, I needed a small flat screwdriver for most of them. In the 356x I do not have any problem with the nail.
- To my sight Just to see the tension position of the nut is a pain as the nut core instead of being solid metal as in 356x is transparent plastic as the nut.
- Changing the tension setting and replacing the spring is a real pain, there is not a tool in the package and twisting the nut cap is really hard.
- Magnets can not be changed, the magnets that come with the cube are weaker than the 356x strong ones, I would say that seems similar to the mediums in 356x.

In my case I needed more than 15 minutes to change all the springs and adjusting the tension, I asume that next time I would not need that much but it is a real pain comparing to 356x.
My 356i was too loose out of the box and I need to tighten it. I agree with the center caps being a ***** to remove. My question to you (or others) is how did you twist the center nut?? (With fingers, pushed in while twisting?). I feel like I am going to break it off. Also what is the 0.6 and 0.8 setting do (it’s so difficult to see what setting it’s currently at as well).
Thanks

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
My 356i was too loose out of the box and I need to tighten it. I agree with the center caps being a ***** to remove. My question to you (or others) is how did you twist the center nut?? (With fingers, pushed in while twisting?). I feel like I am going to break it off. Also what is the 0.6 and 0.8 setting do (it’s so difficult to see what setting it’s currently at as well).
Thanks
The center nut can’t be twisted. You need to twist the rod instead. Push the nut down and you can turn the center rod freely.

Plasmo

The center nut can’t be twisted. You need to twist the rod instead. Push the nut down and you can turn the center rod freely.
Ahh. Thanks that helps and explains why the nut couldn’t be turned. So the center rod is this piece here? (See pic)
Is the rod something that can be turned using your fingers or did you use something like a needlenose plier?8BEECCDF-249D-4B18-8059-FA55A64062EC.jpeg

HoshiYamazaki

Ahh. Thanks that helps and explains why the nut couldn’t be turned. So the center rod is this piece here? (See pic)
Is the rod something that can be turned using your fingers or did you use something like a needlenose plier?View attachment 10977

Yes, that it's, you can turn it using fingers, just get some light for example from phone flash to see where it is.