• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] [OFFICIAL] Gan 356i discussion / software updates / issues report

Nervous Nico

WCA
2017VIDO02
Hello to the newcomers,

indeed Wish Lin's thread is fantastic and it is great to have someone from the Gan team here too.

The positives: The cube is fab (faster than my gan X), the app keeps improving. The community is widening.
A lot of great reviews out there and now this thread! Thank you!

The negatives:
In a nutshell most of my frustration comes from the fact
that I (very) often dnf in battles even though I can now see my times and the opponent's and when one sees a 13 seconds solve to the opponent's 22 and yet they get the "win" sign... It's discouraging to the say the least. I don't mind being beaten (but not like this!). It actually motivates me to find faster people, it makes me improve and want to reach their level, the app just needs to register my solves.
Basically, the app says "the cube is solved" and yet we don't go to the comparison
screen to show who won. And when I ask to leave as I am fed up waiting it says "cube not solvet yet, are you sure?"
So I leave and get a dnf.
I have got over 1600 battles (what can I say this thing is addictive!) and almost 50% of these solves show dnfs even though I have registered times.

Anyway, I am sure it'll get better.
thanks again for a great cube, a great app and a great thread.

PS: I intend to make a video with the good and the "to be improved" for the app
with a little review of, perhaps, the most exciting cubing experience. Would this help?

efattah

When I used to be able to use the app (before the new version which crashes 100% of the time), I can second all of Nico's comments. I constantly would solve, beat my opponent by a mile, but somehow even though the cube shows up solved it thinks it isn't solved. The opponent wins and I have to exit and DNF.
I would have to disagree on the speed of the cube, perhaps different batches have different characteristics. My 356i is much much slower to solve than my Gan 356 X. The 356i (at least mine) is very tight and hard to turn, and if I decrease the tensions it just explodes...

GAN 356 X

Hello to the newcomers,

indeed Wish Lin's thread is fantastic and it is great to have someone from the Gan team here too.

The positives: The cube is fab (faster than my gan X), the app keeps improving. The community is widening.
A lot of great reviews out there and now this thread! Thank you!

The negatives:
In a nutshell most of my frustration comes from the fact
that I (very) often dnf in battles even though I can now see my times and the opponent's and when one sees a 13 seconds solve to the opponent's 22 and yet they get the "win" sign... It's discouraging to the say the least. I don't mind being beaten (but not like this!). It actually motivates me to find faster people, it makes me improve and want to reach their level, the app just needs to register my solves.
Basically, the app says "the cube is solved" and yet we don't go to the comparison
screen to show who won. And when I ask to leave as I am fed up waiting it says "cube not solvet yet, are you sure?"
So I leave and get a dnf.
I have got over 1600 battles (what can I say this thing is addictive!) and almost 50% of these solves show dnfs even though I have registered times.

Anyway, I am sure it'll get better.
thanks again for a great cube, a great app and a great thread.

PS: I intend to make a video with the good and the "to be improved" for the app
with a little review of, perhaps, the most exciting cubing experience. Would this help?
That would be appreciated and pretty cool

HoshiYamazaki

Hi This is Oliver. I am from GAN Cube in charge of overseas sales. Glad to see Wish Lin has open this thread for 356i discussion! If anyone has some suggestions of this cube please let me know. Software bug is especially welcomed, so we could quickly fix it in later version.

I could share some v1.2.1 functions right now. Battle result will show something like "your time outrank xx% of all cubers", and now is able to share to SNS.

My 356i ID: Oliver, currently around 30sec.

Can I know if there are changes made to EU/USA version of cube in comparision to China release? Thanks.

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
Update after talking to developing team:

Center cap missing;
cannot save solve to collection in battle result
--fixed in next version(v1.2.1)

1v1 battle "ready go" interface crashes
--Already noted, but it's kind of program issue(I don't understand that, though) cannot be solved directly, only to minimize

DNF even you solve the cube in battle;
cube is solved but the timer keeps running
--Lag connection to server. That happens mainly in users outside China. Plan to add server in Hongkong or overseas in future. I really apologize for the unfriendly experience.

Any plans to add Roux recognition?
--Not at the moment. 3 reasons: we dont' have enough developers; developers not good at roux; there's not much needs compared to CFOP.

Can I know if there are changes made to EU/USA version of cube in comparision to China release?
-- No difference.

v1.2.1 is available in 24 hours if not now.
Shared to SNS and "single solve outrank xx% cubers" comes in v1.2.2. It also supports dual 356i connection.

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
support 2x 356i connection means you can solve one cube while using GAN Robot to scramble another. (You must be a top fan if you own all of them)

Share to facebook or wechat, etc. Not clear how many social platforms will be.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
I’ll report some small bugs: When v1.2.1 comes out on App Store, the app didn’t notify me right away.

I am happy to see the link phone finally has Taiwan as an option, but I can’t get the verification code whatsoever.

The “feedback” in settings doesn’t have a function.

Btw, I really like the azure background and overall feel in settings and messages.
Good Job!

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
I’ll report some small bugs: When v1.2.1 comes out on App Store, the app didn’t notify me right away.

I am happy to see the link phone finally has Taiwan as an option, but I can’t get the verification code whatsoever.

The “feedback” in settings doesn’t have a function.

Btw, I really like the azure background and overall feel in settings and messages.
Good Job!

Feedback bug known. Will fix it later.
Taiwai phone code missing, not clear. Trying to settle it. Could you find anyone else in Taiwan and test again?
And if you can find more people, consider contributing to its localization in Taiwan.
Overall it's almost the same as Simplified Chinese, except some terms. Like "魔方“ is called "魔術方塊" in taiwan. Not sure if it's necessary, just an idea.

**************update Sep.10*******************

In internal discussion someone suggests add a "official discussion thread" notice inside the app to lead all questions into a single page.
Sounds good, but personally thinking it is not easy to do well in reality due to language barrier and time zone difference.
What do you think, cubers?
I feel honor to be one of "List of members having 356i" on first page. Needn't to be mentioned in bold as I may quickly drop out the top 100 ranking since more and more cubers join in. Sad or happy? Well...I would choose to ask tech team to show more cubers in ranking!

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
Taiwai phone code missing, not clear. Trying to settle it. Could you find anyone else in Taiwan and test again?
No one who I know of has 356i in Taiwan( for now)
And if you can find more people, consider contributing to its localization in Taiwan.
Overall it's almost the same as Simplified Chinese, except some terms. Like "魔方“ is called "魔術方塊" in taiwan. Not sure if it's necessary, just an idea.
Yes! This sounds really interesting. I’ll definitely give it a try. Speaking of terms, not much cubing related terms are different, but rather other phrases NOT related to cubing.
In internal discussion someone suggests add a "official discussion thread" notice inside the app to lead all questions into a single page.
Sounds good, but personally thinking it is not easy to do well in reality due to language barrier and time zone difference.
What do you think, cubers?
I think that if there is a “official discussion thread” in the app, it will have spams. This is the only reason why I don’t support this idea.
I feel honor to be one of "List of members having 356i" on first page. Needn't to be mentioned in bold as I may quickly drop out the top 100 ranking since more and more cubers join in. Sad or happy? Well...I would choose to ask tech team to show more cubers in ranking!
Ha! The actual reason I put you in bold is that when a cuber wandered into this thread because that “Ah, the app has problems. Let’s see how the others think(as the thread title suggests XD)”, he/she will see your name right away, as well as the fact that you are Gan’s employee.

So that they will think “ Oh! I should post my problem/thoughts here so he can see them and know them then fix them. This can make your job easier I believe.

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
No one who I know of has 356i in Taiwan( for now)

Yes! This sounds really interesting. I’ll definitely give it a try. Speaking of terms, not much cubing related terms are different, but rather other phrases NOT related to cubing.

I think that if there is a “official discussion thread” in the app, it will have spams. This is the only reason why I don’t support this idea.

Ha! The actual reason I put you in bold is that when a cuber wandered into this thread because that “Ah, the app has problems. Let’s see how the others think(as the thread title suggests XD)”, he/she will see your name right away, as well as the fact that you are Gan’s employee.

So that they will think “ Oh! I should post my problem/thoughts here so he can see them and know them then fix them. This can make your job easier I believe.

Based on your first 3 comments, I think you should need a in-app community to find local users, and discuss internally then think of localization the app. Yet you're right, spam is an issue.
P.S. We do have a QQ group of 356i. You can invite people to battle, add friend there.

And surely you can swap the title to attract more 356i cubers. I wish to see more comments from others.

sty

Hi

I' having difficulties while registering new account. I can not read the Chinese message below. I have select English. Please help.
The apps version is 1.2.1

screen.png