• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] [OFFICIAL] Gan 356i discussion / software updates / issues report

Nervous Nico

WCA
2017VIDO02
That explains a lot I am on Reunion Island so quite far from China!
Oh Hi! You do battle me before a couple times and as far as I remember, either you DNF out or I DNF out because of app crashing again and again. I still enjoy battling with you a lot despite of that.

I am experiencing problems of lagging and crashing as well but a couple magnitude smaller than you and some other people. I think the farther away you are from China, the more lag you get because well, their server is in China!

Torrente

Until today it was almost imposible to find a online game, now there are opponents but I think are mostly bots.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
The ranking problem has be solved! The app notified me that I had a ranking because I had 100 battles "this week". Yes, you have to battle 100 times every week to have a rank! It appears that if you don't have 100 battles next week, you will lose your rank. I'm not sure, let's see how this goes.

HoshiYamazaki

I received mine yesterday, it works well and I did not had any problem starting it and connecting to my iPhone and iPad.
Technically seems great but the feeling of it comparing it to 356x it is disappointing, to me it does not have the feeling of a premium cube. In my opinion it feels like a less than 20$ cube.

I have the same feeling, where you ordered the cube? I ask because I have cube since 2-3 months, I bought it on Taobao store - so I have chinese version and I'm curious about improvments made (Gan on their fanpage stated that wants to improve app and cube, but from what I see only app is improved).

These are photos of my chinese version:

gą0.jpggą1.jpggą2.jpg

Also, I'm really worried about centre tension mechanism, because I had... whole pop of whole center. If I was not in hostel room waiting for competition, but outside, for example waiting for bus probably I could lost 100$ placed in cube. What da what gan? Really?

But I was messing with it and showing mechanism to my friend in car, so maybe something moved in or cube was not correctly assembled. I did about 250 solves then and no pops so... Still, why the hell it could not be real GES system?

Idea is really nice, but I don't feel this is what we really waited for.

Maybe I'm not correct, prove me wrong.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
why the hell it could not be real GES system?
The reason is actually quite simple: It is because GES requires their octopus core, which the center rod is fixed to the core and the GES nuts themselves can turn.

But now they use the rod itself as the rotation detector, so it has to rotate and can’t be fixed to the core(you can try turning the numerical rod ONLY and the app shows that layer turning), thus they can’t use GES.

Torrente

I have the same feeling, where you ordered the cube? I ask because I have cube since 2-3 months, I bought it on Taobao store - so I have chinese version and I'm curious about improvments made (Gan on their fanpage stated that wants to improve app and cube, but from what I see only app is improved).
Mine seems the same, I purchased it 2 weeks ago in The Cubicle.

Also, I'm really worried about centre tension mechanism, because I had... whole pop of whole center. If I was not in hostel room waiting for competition, but outside, for example waiting for bus probably I could lost 100$ placed in cube. What da fack gan? Really?
But I was messing with it and showing mechanism to my friend in car, so maybe something moved in or cube was not correctly assembled. I did about 250 solves then and no pops so... Still, why the hell it could not be real GES system?.
This could be the cause:
The reason is actually quite simple: It is because GES requires their octopus core, which the center rod is fixed to the core and the GES nuts themselves can turn.
But now they use the rod itself as the rotation detector, so it has to rotate and can’t be fixed to the core(you can try turning the numerical rod ONLY and the app shows that layer turning), thus they can’t use GES.
If for after manipulating the nut the center rod top is not into one of the slots and rotates to the position that allows to extract the nut.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
Software update:

Cube station has been updated to v1.2.0. The changes include:
  • Full compatibility with the Gan Robot(which is kind of pointless)
  • Reset the cube by taking picture of it(also kind of pointless in some sense)
  • Better user experience and bug fixes.

Nervous Nico

WCA
2017VIDO02
haha fair points,
well we had a better experience before that v1.2.0 however I still dnf despite doing some of my best scores (12 seconds argh)
but always against the same people (not gonna name). They have magic powers of something?

Anyway a lot of fun, hope to battle you soon Wish Lin, just watched a video that might improve my cubing a fair bit that you might like too

Software update:

Cube station has been updated to v1.2.0. The changes include:
  • Full compatibility with the Gan Robot(which is kind of pointless)
  • Reset the cube by taking picture of it(also kind of pointless in some sense)
  • Better user experience and bug fixes.
[/QUOTE

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
haha fair points,
well we had a better experience before that v1.2.0 however I still dnf despite doing some of my best scores (12 seconds argh)
but always against the same people (not gonna name). They have magic powers of something?

Anyway a lot of fun, hope to battle you soon Wish Lin, just watched a video that might improve my cubing a fair bit that you might like too
Thank you for the video! Hope to battle you soon too!(if my app let me do so XD)

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi This is Oliver. I am from GAN Cube in charge of overseas sales. Glad to see Wish Lin has open this thread for 356i discussion! If anyone has some suggestions of this cube please let me know. Software bug is especially welcomed, so we could quickly fix it in later version.

I could share some v1.2.1 functions right now. Battle result will show something like "your time outrank xx% of all cubers", and now is able to share to SNS.

My 356i ID: Oliver, currently around 30sec.

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
Hi This is Oliver. I am from GAN Cube in charge of overseas sales. Glad to see Wish Lin has open this thread for 356i discussion! If anyone has some suggestions of this cube please let me know. Software bug is especially welcomed, so we could quickly fix it in later version.

I could share some v1.2.1 functions right now. Battle result will show something like "your time outrank xx% of all cubers", and now is able to share to SNS.

My 356i ID: Oliver, currently around 30sec.
Hi @Olivertam , it’s really, really nice to see you here! Your presence will make this thread a lot more official and accurate in new information about both the cube and the app.

Olivertam

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi @Olivertam , it’s really, really nice to see you here! Your presence will make this thread a lot more official and accurate in new information about both the cube and the app.

My main concern is to lower the return rate and optimize user experience. So throw me something to be improved!
I dif report a problem to technicians about 356i previously, that when you check your battle results sometimes CFOP is missing or mixed, say, your result is shown only C and F. No problem in training mode, only happens in battle. Anyone encountered as well?

Wish Lin

WCA
2018LINW02
My main concern is to lower the return rate and optimize user experience. So throw me something to be improved!
I dif report a problem to technicians about 356i previously, that when you check your battle results sometimes CFOP is missing or mixed, say, your result is shown only C and F. No problem in training mode, only happens in battle. Anyone encountered as well?
Yes, I do encounter that. Leo borromeo’s data has this problem sometimes as well.

Bugs:
When I am doing friend battle when others invite me, I will have a bug that sometimes the app stays at “Ready go” page then freezes, resulting me or both players DNFing.

About once every three times doing cube connecting will result in app crash.

When someone liked my ranking, the app displays it as a "battle request" (which can never be fulfilled)

Last edited: