• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

FTO thread

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't seen any FTO threads yet so I decided to start one.
In case you aren't aware face turning octahedron (aka FTO) is an extremely fun unofficial event that has been taking off recently. Hardware sucks, but the puzzle is a lot of fun to solve, and hopefully better hardware gets made in the near future. There has also been a #FTOforWCA push recently because it is very unique and would fit in very well as an event!

Some links:
cubicle buy link: https://www.thecubicle.com/products/lanlan-octahedron?_pos=1&_sid=86b83f87d&_ss=r
Tutorial:
Rankings: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pr7vqSdNtTaGYwQzQMFEQ_NqujVAcZSn8E4ccpOGfJY/edit#gid=0
Weekly comp: http://bit.ly/ftoweekly

WCA
2017MORR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty new to FTO (PB is 5:08.25) and I'm wondering if lubing a lanlan FTO with Vaseline would be a good idea, since that's often what people recommend for Rubik's brand 3x3s since it eats away at the plastic. I would think the same principle would apply to the lanlan FTO, but I wasn't too sure.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just started to "speed" solve my (currently unmodified) FTO. I have a couple of questions: is there a random state scrambler/is the scrambler in CSTimer random state, do I scramble with green on F or red on F and is there a set of "algs" that are sledges/hedges for every L3T case?

xyzzy

is there a random state scrambler/is the scrambler in CSTimer random state
No(t yet) and no.

do I scramble with green on F or red on F
Same as the other WCA puzzles. White (or the lightest colour) on top, with one corner pointing at you; green (or the darkest possible colour) in front, with one corner pointing up. (Note that U and F are not adjacent faces with Ben's notation. In SEE's current notation, the top face has a corner pointing away and the front face has a corner pointing down, and the U and F faces are adjacent.)

(I've never done FTO so I can't answer your last question.)

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, thanks for that! I really should learn to code. I should this year at university, then (if someone hasn't beaten me to it) I could code one.
That's the way I've been scrambling too, so that's good.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Just in case you haven't seen this video already:

I didn't watch the full video but I just got a lanlan FTO today and while turning is ok for a non-WCA puzzle, I took it apart and it's abundantly obvious why the puzzle catches so much. None of the sharp corners inside are rounded at all and in particular the core center triangles catch even when no other pieces are in. I think I might mod my FTO later just by sanding down all sharp edges I see and that would probably get rid of a lot of the catching.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome to pre-2011 cubing!
I was in a group chat with some cubing friends and I made the same comment ("remember when puzzle modding was a thing")
I wonder if there's a market for modded FTOs or 3D printed ones yet. Cube manufacturers like qiyi should honestly make a decent FTO just to get it popular and give credibility in the push for WCA.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I hope they do. It would be pretty cool to have a good one.
I think the cubicle has 3d printers and probably has the resources to semi mass produce 3d printed designs like a FTO, although it would be noticeably more expensive (maybe selling for $30-40)

I've been thinking there may be a market for semi mass produced twisty puzzles in between the original designer printing at home and cube manufacturers with large scale injection molding. However many puzzles already have decent enough mass produced versions that it wouldn't be worth 3d printing, FTO being an exception.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the cubicle has 3d printers and probably has the resources to semi mass produce 3d printed designs like a FTO, although it would be noticeably more expensive (maybe selling for $30-40)

I've been thinking there may be a market for semi mass produced twisty puzzles in between the original designer printing at home and cube manufacturers with large scale injection molding. However many puzzles already have decent enough mass produced versions that it wouldn't be worth 3d printing, FTO being an exception.

You need a specific type of 3d printing. And fdm doesn't work for twisty puzzles.