• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Florian history

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I apologize if this is located somewhere obvious. I cannot seem to find what I am looking for. I am looking for a description of how "florian modding" started. Who the guy was, what cube it was on, when did it first start, etc.

Thank you in advance.

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Florian Kreyssig
Shengshou 5x5 V1
~Worlds 2011

Now when people say "Florian mod", they just mean they are rounding off the corners. I personally think the Florian mod is specifically to this puzzle.

SenorJuan

"Rounding off the corners" was being done to 3x3x3 cubes back in 1981. Not very scientifically, you just copied what a friend showed you. It was part of a general idea that sanding down things made the cube better. They were often a bit rough inside, eg. where caps were glued in place, and it was accepted that as cubes wore and bedded in, they got better, so smoothing things was an attempt at speeding the bed-in.

Lchu613

WCA
2014CHUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I believe the "Florian mod" originally only applied to the Shengshou 5x5, since that's what Florian himself did it on; people were doing corner-rounding and stuff before that just as part of modding too, but "Florian modding" sounds cooler than "corner-edge-center rounding".