• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

First Competition Stories?

Fawn

So...

My first competition is coming up in about a week and it's been on my mind like crazy. I kind of know what to expect, but my predictions can only be so accurate. So to ease up my stress:

Anybody have any interesting/funny stories of their first competition?

AlexCube

WCA
2014HEIK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So...

My first competition is coming up in about a week and it's been on my mind like crazy. I kind of know what to expect, but my predictions can only be so accurate. So to ease up my stress:

I'm in a same situation as you :) What events are you going to do? What do you average on 3x3?

Fawn

My typical average is about 16 seconds. The most recent Ao5 I did was 16.779 seconds. I signed up for 3x3 and Megaminx, but it looks like Megaminx might not make it to be an actual event in the competition.

Karan Kowshik

YouTube
Visit Channel
So...

Same feeling here bro :D My competition is in 15 days.What do you average in a 3x3. I average about 45(I know the time sucks) and my best is 37.74

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
- DNF'd because of failed timer starts, twice.
- Borrowed someone's 4x4 (only ever used rubik's brand) and got an average faster than my home PB single
- Got multibld NR with 0 points
- My first 2x2 (10 attempts) and pyra (5 attempts) solves were my fastest. First 3x3 solve (15 attempts) was 2nd fastest.

Eva

Don't forget to have fun,I was to scared half of the comp that I didn't enjoyed that part.
I was too afraid to talk to people,but when I was getting more relaxed it was so much fun.

For almost anybody there times in a comp are higher than there home times (so don't except to get your home pb),because of the nerves :p.

I got my first comp a few weeks back and I know that feeling.
When I was waiting on the train early in the rain,I tought why did I wanted to go,but on the journey back I was glad I had gone.

WCA
2012PATE01
Don't forget to have fun,I was to scared half of the comp that I didn't enjoyed that part.
I was too afraid to talk to people,but when I was getting more relaxed it was so much fun.

For almost anybody there times in a comp are higher than there home times (so don't except to get your home pb),because of the nerves :p.

I got my first comp a few weeks back and I know that feeling.
When I was waiting on the train early in the rain,I tought why did I wanted to go,but on the journey back I was glad I had gone.

Lol even i saw the nerves. on my first comp i got a home PB while practising.
After 13 comps i got a avg that i dont ussually get. Going to a comp is one of the best experiences i have ever had and not a single person should hesitate going. you dont think about signing up you just sign up :)

Fawn

Oh man what if I get there and sit at a table and the cubers there are all like, "Go away, dork. This is the cool kids only table." And then they beat me up for my lunch money.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alex Lau judged my first solve (2x2)
I forgot to AUF and got a +2
I then got another +2 at the end of the average
My 2x2 average was two seconds above my normal average; even my best solve was above average
I failed the timer start on my first 4x4 solve and DNFed it
Still got PB single/Ao5
I didn't get through to the second round of anything

MatejMuzatko

WCA
2013MUAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I forgot to pay because the place where you pay was somehow hidden... Then I was surprised that delegate (Ton Dennenbroek) didn't want to give me the card... I had to repeat whole procedure again
I enjoyed scrambling and judging
I didn't enjoy it after 1 5x5 popped and after I swapped two 5x5's while someone bothered me
I was judging OH finals and Przemyslaw Kaleta amazed me so much :)
Grzegorz Jałocha was judging my first BLD, and I didn't focus on the memo because my had was somehow full of "the world class guy is judging me, I can't fail, omg he seems bored..."
I beat my friend in multi having -2 while he had -3
I thought I will do over20 and I did my first sub15 average ever which got me second in Czech Rep.

I felt less nervous than I thought, didn't care about my solves a lot and enjoyed everything :)

ChickenWrap

YouTube
Visit Channel
I actually got my best average (at the time) during my first competition. For some people, the excitement gives them a more clear mind and they can do really well at their first competition. Good luck!

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Shook like mad in 5x5. It was my first official solve ever. Then I failed a round of 3x3, then did amazingly for my current average in the next round.. Like 12.88 average and 10.06 single when I was averaging 13. Then failed finals. So overall a success because 3x3. Just relax and have fun :)