• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

First 2 Blocks: Subsets and Tips/Tricks

What Do You Average For Roux?

• Total voters
Hi! I am a fellow Roux solver. I have a weak spot in the first step of roux, and have found that others do to, so I made this thread for Roux solvers wanting to get better at the first step, and share there knowledge with the world! Good Luck!

zentype

I can either to FB efficiently or fast, but not both. I WANT TO DO BOTH!

This. I can do FB pretty efficiently averaging less than 9STM and I admit I'm really enjoying trying to find the best solve to FB but I'm slow as heck.

If I try going fast I'm usually just using M and U layer as swap space and inserting from the top. Rarely doing so from the D layer.. Even though using the D layer to insert from the bottom usually reduces move count.

I do find when you're trying to go fast, you tend to use a "small" move set that you defer to. I think the trick is to learn to expand that default move set.

Mr.Roux86

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi! I am a fellow Roux solver. I have a weak spot in the first step of roux, and have found that others do to, so I made this thread for Roux solvers wanting to get better at the first step, and share there knowledge with the world! Good Luck!
LONG VERSION
The first block is challenging. Becuase when we do first block we have the entire cube to work with. Plus the fact that you only have 15 seconds to inspect makes it more challenging to find what you need. So first it might be a good idea not to use timed inspection, (unless you are going to a competition and need to practice that) you should use as much time as you need to look at the cube. This gets your mind used to predicting the location of pieces and creating a solution in your head. Second, you want to experiment. By this I mean do slow solves whenever you can. Try to use different moves and techniques, even if you do not think it will work. Knowing more about how the cube works and how things move will help you find the most efficient solution. Eventually, something will work and you can use it on future solves. Now, slow solves and experiments are great, but sometimes we just need to extra boost cut down that movement. This is why you should watch example solves. Example solves are great, you get to see what other people do and apply those strategies to your own solving. There are so many ways to make the first block, just seeing other people do it really helps. I myself still need to be more efficient and faster, but I have other things like LSE and CMLL to work on first. I hope I helped in some way. I hope that you are able to cut down on move count. Happy Rouxing ~Mr.Roux86
SHORT VERSION
Look at the bolded phrases above.
Use untimed inspection
Do slow solves
Experiment with the cube

Yeah just do that and you should be good :)