• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

calum's progression thread: unique subtitle here

finger go brr

SS Competition Results
this is a progression thread. this post used to say something different but i edited it. here are my goals (all are for global avg unless otherwise noted) in no particular order:
  • 3bld success (currently average dnf)
  • sub 1 oh (currently avg 1:05)
  • sub 25 3x3 (currently average 25-27)
  • sub 2 4x4 (currently average 2:15) this is a big goal but i can probably achieve it relatively soon if i practice more

Last edited:

finger go brr

SS Competition Results
I accidentally got addicted to 2x2, so using my terrible Qiyi Sail 2x2 and the Ortega method I did my first 2x2 ao5 in a month.

Generated By csTimer on 2022-08-07
avg of 5: 19.15

Time List:
1. 26.23 R' U2 R F R2 U2 F U' R2
2. (9.89) U' F2 U' F2 U F' U F U2 F'
3. 19.89 U' R2 U R2 F R' F U2 R2
4. (DNF(18.34)) F U R U' F' R2 U F' R2
5. 11.32 R2 U' F U2 R2 U' R' F R2 F'

Can’t believe I got my first sub 10 as the second solve lol.

NigelTheCuber

WCA
2022PHAN03
I accidentally got addicted to 2x2, so using my terrible Qiyi Sail 2x2 and the Ortega method I did my first 2x2 ao5 in a month.

Generated By csTimer on 2022-08-07
avg of 5: 19.15

Time List:
1. 26.23 R' U2 R F R2 U2 F U' R2
2. (9.89) U' F2 U' F2 U F' U F U2 F'
3. 19.89 U' R2 U R2 F R' F U2 R2
4. (DNF(18.34)) F U R U' F' R2 U F' R2
5. 11.32 R2 U' F U2 R2 U' R' F R2 F'

Can’t believe I got my first sub 10 as the second solve lol.
Try doing the algs faster

finger go brr

SS Competition Results
i've been practicing 4x4 a bit in the past few days. i've been using yau, and using a partial cross to make my 2x2x3 (i use petrus). just casual solves; haven't been timing. can anyone give me their thoughts on using yau for petrus (or perhaps any alternatives)? i'm a bit worried about inefficiency in 3x3 stage.

i got a bit bored learning pll so i suppose this is me taking a break

i'm quite sick and tired because of it so that's why i haven't been timing solves; timing myself is too much pressure for me rn

finger go brr

SS Competition Results
why not? sure it's a bit slower than the big three, but i don't average 5 seconds i average 1 minute. the potential of petrus is good enough for me (some people regularly get 10 seconds with it), and i enjoy solving with it.

don't say anything about zz i've tried it and didn't like it

JDAW6

WCA
2023KOTW01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
why not? sure it's a bit slower than the big three, but i don't average 5 seconds i average 1 minute. the potential of petrus is good enough for me (some people regularly get 10 seconds with it), and i enjoy solving with it.

don't say anything about zz i've tried it and didn't like it
Ahh ok lol I thought u were like sub30 mb

xyzzy

i've been practicing 4x4 a bit in the past few days. i've been using yau, and using a partial cross to make my 2x2x3 (i use petrus). just casual solves; haven't been timing. can anyone give me their thoughts on using yau for petrus (or perhaps any alternatives)? i'm a bit worried about inefficiency in 3x3 stage.
Using Petrus works (in fact, any normal 3×3×3 method would work), but there's an impedance mismatch: you're starting the 3×3×3 stage with the cross already solved, so you might as well make use of that and do F2L pairs.

For that matter, doing a Petrus solve starting with the cross already solved is pretty much going to be just that anyway. The only real difference is that you're doing EO between the second and third pairs.

finger go brr

SS Competition Results
Using Petrus works (in fact, any normal 3×3×3 method would work), but there's an impedance mismatch: you're starting the 3×3×3 stage with the cross already solved, so you might as well make use of that and do F2L pairs.

For that matter, doing a Petrus solve starting with the cross already solved is pretty much going to be just that anyway. The only real difference is that you're doing EO between the second and third pairs.
it's not exactly a cross, i'm ignoring the last cross edge and just putting any edge there. i know that it's pretty much just cfop but with eo, but i'm more used to edges oriented in last layer and petrus f2l, so that's kinda my logic there. is there any other alternatives to this though? i don't know if there's any big cube method for roux, though that'd probably work given that some people start 2x2x3 with a roux first block and expand from there.

Twisted101

YouTube
Visit Channel
it's not exactly a cross, i'm ignoring the last cross edge and just putting any edge there. i know that it's pretty much just cfop but with eo, but i'm more used to edges oriented in last layer and petrus f2l, so that's kinda my logic there. is there any other alternatives to this though? i don't know if there's any big cube method for roux, though that'd probably work given that some people start 2x2x3 with a roux first block and expand from there.
There are 2 big cube petrus methods I know of:

but u could also just do it like Meyer method but don’t do roux in the end just expand and do petrus
https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=Meyer_method