• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Filipe's Progression Thread - practicing 4x4 (yau)

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
Knowing these algs are great, but I wouldn't suggest you use most of them in solves. It's mostly subjective whether certain COLL's are worth using. Just keep in mind that you don't have to use the COLL just because you know it, use it only if you feel like it's worth using. For me, none of Pi/H is worth it and most of TUL isn't worth it. As a ZZ user I rarely do COLL, 90% of the time I do either OCLL/PLL or ZBLL (if i know the case)

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
Knowing these algs are great, but I wouldn't suggest you use most of them in solves. It's mostly subjective whether certain COLL's are worth using. Just keep in mind that you don't have to use the COLL just because you know it, use it only if you feel like it's worth using. For me, none of Pi/H is worth it and most of TUL isn't worth it. As a ZZ user I rarely do COLL, 90% of the time I do either OCLL/PLL or ZBLL (if i know the case)
Uhh... I kinda don't agree with this. Imo all of T & U are worth using(except R' y perm R ofc), 2/6 L cases are worth using, 2/4 H cases are worth using, 2/6 Pi cases are worth using. We don't talk about S and AS at all. I may be wrong so pls correct me if so.

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
Uhh... I kinda don't agree with this. Imo all of T & U are worth using(except R' y perm R ofc), 2/6 L cases are worth using, 2/4 H cases are worth using, 2/6 Pi cases are worth using. We don't talk about S and AS at all. I may be wrong so pls correct me if so.
Again, I explicitly said that it's subjective.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
4 ducks walk into a bar...
I'm faster than you. lol barely
That's no motivation for me. I'm not so young anymore and I feel like I won't get any more faster. that may not be your case so it's rough to compare just with numbers
Depends on the situation I guess.
What are your other hobbies/things you like to do, and how much free time do you have?

Of course, i small child in skool, so my knowledge is limited
I have some free time that I'm spending learning japanese. But yeah maybe I can spend some 10 to 20 minutes each day with cubing
Maybe try out new methods! For me CFOP is pretty mind-numbing and i never enjoyed practicing it
That's a good idea
And possibly other events, though you’ve probably tried them before
That's also a good idea
record a slo mo video with it and see your lockups
🥺

Thanks for your opinions guys. I feel bad for not practicing. Don't want to see cubing as a chore but I really want to improve my speedsolving skills.
I really like to learn algs, so maybe for start I could spend some 10min each day drilling and learning algs, and let's see what it turns into.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Personally I don't even know all my PLLs after all these years.

Also have you considered trying kilominx? I consider it to be like megaminx but less tedious. If there's support I'm considering running a kilominx server (in the spirit of the FTO server)

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results
Feeling unmotivated to practice and tired because of work and language course

Please give me 1 reason to practice again
If you’re busy enough, then maybe the best solution is to take a little bit of a break! The reason that I say “if you’re busy enough” is that you may have enough other things to do in life to take your mind off of cubing for a little while. It might help you to appreciate it a little more. (That might sound negative, but I mean it in a positive way.)

If you’re tired in a “I need more sleep” way, then maybe try putting some things off a little bit. While this may not seem like the best advice, getting more sleep will help you be more productive, therefore getting your work done faster, then creating more time for cubing! Try slowly going to bed a little bit earlier. Maybe go to bed 15 minutes early tonight, then go to bed at that time for 4-7 days, then go to bed another 15 minutes earlier, then do that until you feel like you’re not tired.

SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you’re busy enough, then maybe the best solution is to take a little bit of a break! The reason that I say “if you’re busy enough” is that you may have enough other things to do in life to take your mind off of cubing for a little while. It might help you to appreciate it a little more. (That might sound negative, but I mean it in a positive way.)

If you’re tired in a “I need more sleep” way, then maybe try putting some things off a little bit. While this may not seem like the best advice, getting more sleep will help you be more productive, therefore getting your work done faster, then creating more time for cubing! Try slowly going to bed a little bit earlier. Maybe go to bed 15 minutes early tonight, then go to bed at that time for 4-7 days, then go to bed another 15 minutes earlier, then do that until you feel like you’re not tired.
thanks for the valuable tips!

tsmosher

Learning Mehta beginners. Have to memorize the algs, but I'm having fun.
Will record an average when I can

Since you know F2L already, keep in mind that another way to do Beginners Mehta (maybe a better way?) would be to just insert the D corners intuitively using F2L. (You could even do this while solving the belt edges.)

Then finish with OCLL, CPLL, insert DR, and finally EPLL:

Mehta FB (lD) > Belt > EO > F2L for each D corner (3 cases) > CO > CP > insert DR > EPLL.

Or, if you know PLL (1 or 2 look), finish with OCLL, insert DR, and finally PLL:

Mehta FB (lD) > Belt > EO > F2L for each D corner (3 cases) > CO > insert DR > PLL.

Hopefully, Mehta will reignite your interest in cubing.