• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Favorite WCA Events

What is your WCA favorite event?

• Total voters

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The last poll was back in 2018. I re-updated the poll, with more events. You have 3 choices for 3 official WCA events. Choose wisely

(NOTE: there is a bug with the poll. You can select multiple choices. Please don't do that. Only three per person.)

I enjoy 3x3 because, well, it
is the classic. You have to vote for it.

I enjoy 5x5 as it's a nice length, not so long that it becomes boring but not so short that you have to spam tps to be fast. 4x4 also fits into this category, but it's a bit more luck based with parties and stuff.

I enjoy square-1 as it's completely unique, and nothing like an nxn or even any puzzle.

Which leads me on to my last question - would you say a nxn or an nxn?

Petrus_EW

I could only choose three categories, but the categories I like are: 3x3, Fewest move, Skewb, Square-1, Megaminx, and Clock.
The watch is in a different category than the others, but I find it very interesting.

rubik2005

3x3 is an event where there is just so much to learn and if you practice enough, you can really improve and become sub-10 with a ton of different methods unlike other events like pyraminx, clock, or big cubes which is pretty repetitive and there really aren't a lot of variety when it comes to good, efficient methods.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Isn't it frustrating when you open the blindfold and you see that you DNF'd by 2 xcenters or +centers?
If you are new to 5BLD and have been doing it for a year or 2, DNF by few center pieces, or few outer pieces feel frustrating. One you do a lot of solves, you kind of become numb to DNFs, although its tough to become numb to official triple DNFs (it should be avoided at all costs).

For me, getting DNFs is important, as I get more analytical about my solve and can gauge the amount of risk I need to take next solve. 4BLD and MBLD is a bit easier events, as you can get momentum going and get good solves. 5BLD is quite different, there are always some unexpected DNFs that we have to go deep and make sure we do not do the mistake again.

Also 5BLD is the event, where the competition is more with ourselves, rather than a competitor,. In 3x3, we get 6.1 second solve and the guy next to us gets 6.2 seconds and we win that solve, but in 5BLD, competitors are not that equal in strengths and the main competition and motivation to do the solve, is to improve oneself, and not worrying about other attempts, as they have different skill levels.

Waffles

4x4 is fun, short, and random.
Pyraminx... I don’t know why I like it, I just do.
Megaminx: satisfying. I’m pretty new to it soooo
3BLD: I DNF pretty much every time but it’s so good when you don’t.
FMC is never around but it forces you to be creative

I only voted for 4x4 and pyra tho

Garf

WCA
2022TIND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3: the classic, and the best, obviously. You have so many fingertrick options on it, and ever so many options of buying a puzzle.
4x4: A step up from 3x3, and a little harder. Not so much of a challenge.
Square-1: The shapeshifting restraints gives it a little challenge, but it's not too hard.

CrispyCubing

WCA
2019YODE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3: The most developed event. Has a ton of depth, meaning there are many skills that can be taken to perfection. Most competitive but still most common.

Megaminx: Requires three skills almost equally: efficiency, lookahead, and execution. Perfect length. Long enough to require focus and pacing. Short enough to be fun and keep your attention. So much flexibility in solutions. Chaotic yet simple.

3BLD: The easiest of the BLD events. You get the high reward solving but it's still relatively easy to learn. At the top level there is so much alg learning and optimization, giving the event a challenging nature. Memorization is a unique layer that offers more skills to improve, and gives the event depth.