• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Favorite old DaYan cube

Your favorite old DaYan cube?

• Dayan 3: LingYun v1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dayan 3: LingYun v2

• Dayan 6: PanShi

• Total voters

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
At the moment you can still buy cubes 2 through 5 (idk about lingyun v1). Dayan 1 (Taiyan) is extremely hard to find and Dayan 6 (Panshi) is pretty uncommon.
Afaik I have all new plastic ones, including the lingyun v2 with torpedoes. My white zhanchi is definitely the smoothest gliding cube, but I recently got the Lunhui and there is something about the blocky turning and sound / feel that really appeals to me.

Let me know your thoughts in the poll! (Yes I am a Dayan fanboy) Also help with the wiki page if you have any info.

Last edited:

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
btw has anyone ordered from dayancube.com in the last 5 years? I'm kinda tempted to but their site is a glitchy mess.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
I bought a new Dayan zhanchi from ziicube and got a used one from ebay and I gotta say there seems to be something different about the plastic in the zhanchi or something because they feel slicker and faster than my other Dayan cubes. The old broken in one especially turns very well. I think both are new plastic so it's not the old plastic causing it.

swburk

I bought a new Dayan zhanchi from ziicube and got a used one from ebay and I gotta say there seems to be something different about the plastic in the zhanchi or something because they feel slicker and faster than my other Dayan cubes. The old broken in one especially turns very well. I think both are new plastic so it's not the old plastic causing it.

Can you still buy old Zhanchis? I have a Guhong V2, but never got to try a Zhanchi, and I’ve heard the 2018 version was bad.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you still buy old Zhanchis? I have a Guhong V2, but never got to try a Zhanchi, and I’ve heard the 2018 version was bad.

yes, but probably new plastic (whether old or new plastic has an advantage is debatable too.) check ziicube, cubezz, hknowstore, witeden. also ebay for used ones.
btw I am not talking about the 2017 or 2018 zhanchis.

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Can any oldie(no offense)cubers tell me how much the Zhanchi and the Guhongs used to cost back in the day ?

$10-15 I think. So not budget cube but also not like today's flagship prices.
I think a lot came as DIY kits. Idk if Dayan ever produced factory pre-assembled ones.

Dayan Zhanchi was my first speedcube in 2013. Sadly, I purchased stickerless version, and it was not allowed to be used in my first WCA competition. Stickerless cubes were not allowed back then.

When I started I didn't have any speedcubes, just crappy knockoff Chinese brands (not even any company popular back then) my parents' friends brought back from China. I didn't know anything about speedcube brands except for that DIY kits existed and that Alpha V was the best on the market (according to Thrawst). I think later I heard of the Guhong and Zhanchi but I was never good at speedsolving and I don't think I asked my parents to buy them (I should've). Only in 2018 did I start getting reinterested in cubing due to youtube recommending me JRCuber vids.

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
My first zhanchi was like £8 or something. Speedcube prices are a lot higher now due to there being the market that will pay for them. Kinda unfortunate, but it's life.

Reactions: qwr

Sion

Of all my dayan cubes, I actually seem to enjoy the Taiyan the most. It has such a satisfying crispy feeling and has surprising corner cutting for such a blocky mechanism.

Reactions: qwr

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
My first zhanchi was like £8 or something. Speedcube prices are a lot higher now due to there being the market that will pay for them. Kinda unfortunate, but it's life.

You mean high-end cube prices are higher. Nowadays you can get competitive viable cubes for less than that: see little magic m, meilong m, rs3m 2020 especially.

Of all my dayan cubes, I actually seem to enjoy the Taiyan the most. It has such a satisfying crispy feeling and has surprising corner cutting for such a blocky mechanism.
You're probably one of a few people active on this forum who actually owns a Taiyan. Looking at pictures of the mech it looks like old Type A mech. Well I don't think I can call any of my Alpha cubes crispy in a satisfying way, just loud. I get nice crispiness from my Lingyun and Lunhui.