• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

fastest method to solve 2x2 without inspection?

WCA
2009HONI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
basically i use a CF cage method for 4x4. my corners take about 8-10 on average, I was thinking whether it is possible to improve it further.

I currently use ortega because least inspection time is needed...but would FL+CLL or guimond pay off more?

eragg0

i use ortega-like and my avg is sub-10. I basically see at pre-inspection what oll i have. I know if i have "bar" in FL so i know my possible permutation after oll

JTW2007

BattsMan
2008WARL01
I like Erik's idea to learn Guimond, Ortega, and CxLL. That way you can base it situationally. I need to learn Guimond.

brunson

WCA
2008BRUN01
I think what you're asking is what method has the least inspection time so you can move right into solving. I don't know EG or SS, but I know LBL, Ortega and Guimond. Guimond has virtually no inspection time, you look for you're first face and there are only seven cases to recognize on the top layer.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think what you're asking is what method has the least inspection time so you can move right into solving. I don't know EG or SS, but I know LBL, Ortega and Guimond. Guimond has virtually no inspection time, you look for you're first face and there are only seven cases to recognize on the top layer.

Heh. I can't do Guimond without a full 15 seconds inspection time, and often 15 seconds isn't even enough. I guess I'm just REALLY bad at it.

Ortega doesn't seem all that slow without inspection time to me, though. Whenever I have to solve without inspection, I usually go Ortega instead of Guimond.

If I have to go without inspection, LBL is probably faster for me than Guimond. :(

You should learn SS. :p

anyway, for both Guimond and Ortega, 10 seconds is usually enough to figure out all the steps before PBL.

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
IMHO Guimond needs a negligible inspection time. Just put on the same face the first three corner stickers of any pair of opposite colors that you can see and then go on from there.
Of course you will never go as fast as with a full 15 seconds inspection time, because you stil have to recognize the orientation case...

blah

brah
FL + CLL would probably be faster but you need the inspection time to plan out the first layer at the very least...I agree with rahul on the guimond statment.

i use ortega-like and my avg is sub-10. I basically see at pre-inspection what oll i have. I know if i have "bar" in FL so i know my possible permutation after oll

Why no inspection? ...

anyway, for both Guimond and Ortega, 10 seconds is usually enough to figure out all the steps before PBL.

I think almost everyone here didn't read the first post carefully.

The OP solves a 4x4x4 by solving 2 opposite centers first, then he solves all corners in the next step. What he was asking for, is the most effective method to solve the corners when he only has one or two seconds of inspection time (by slowing down during the last few moves of the previous step). Only Eric and Mike seemed to have understood the question completely.

puzzlemaster

WCA
2008LAUD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
FL + CLL would probably be faster but you need the inspection time to plan out the first layer at the very least...I agree with rahul on the guimond statment.

Why no inspection? ...

I think almost everyone here didn't read the first post carefully.

The OP solves a 4x4x4 by solving 2 opposite centers first, then he solves all corners in the next step. What he was asking for, is the most effective method to solve the corners when he only has one or two seconds of inspection time (by slowing down during the last few moves of the previous step). Only Eric and Mike seemed to have understood the question completely.

I read the first post and it is for that reason that I said that FL + CLL needs the inspection time...