• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Fast way to improve turningstyle/fingertricks?

M

Malkom

I'm currently trying to become sub18 so i figured i would film myself and see what to improve. When i watched the video i realized my turningstyle/fingertricks was awful, i want to focus on other things so how can i improve fast?

M

Malkom

How long will it take to have a turningstyle good enough to be able to use a modern speedcube?

Eduard Khil

How long will it take to have a turningstyle good enough to be able to use a modern speedcube?
Depends. If your turning style has been bad since the beginning, itll take quite a while to retrain your turning style. In the meantime just try turning more accurately and use less corner cutting, grip the cube less tightly and turn lighter would help. Usually a few hours is needed to correct the problems but when you time yourself you get nervous and all the bad habits re-emerge so it takes quite a while to completely change it

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Use an older, not so forgiving cube and practise on that for a while. Eventually you will naturally have a better turning style.

This is no longer considered good advice. More often these days people are saying "get a good cube and stick with it". The only thing an old clunky cube will do is give you "cuber's wrist". Just use a modern cube.

Depends. If your turning style has been bad since the beginning, itll take quite a while to retrain your turning style. In the meantime just try turning more accurately and use less corner cutting, grip the cube less tightly and turn lighter would help. Usually a few hours is needed to correct the problems but when you time yourself you get nervous and all the bad habits re-emerge so it takes quite a while to completely change it

Definitely. When I first switched from being a lazy-wrist-turning-cube-solver to "speed solver", I had to retrain a lot of bad habits. Malkom might be lucky that he get to almost start from scratch.

At first, doing simple flicks with just my index fingers took work. So I used to walk around doing just (U U U U)(U' U' U' U')(U2 U2) without lifting my hand off the cube. Did this until both of my index fingers were comfy flicking. I'd practice sexy move (RUR'U') over and over again. Then inverse sexy. Then back sexy. Then back inverse sexy. Then all over again for my left hand. All until I never thought of using my wrist for anything. Every trigger I could identify, every alg, I drilled... over and over and over again.

Eventually you can add lefty and righty double flicks, using thumbs, ring finger pulls, index finger pushes. You add each ingredient one at a time and practice, practice, practice. And definitely pay attention to accuracy.

Speed comes with time and a lot of work. Good turningstyle/fingertricks will not necessarily come to you fast. You have to put the work in.

The best advice I never took was to watch youtube videos of fast solvers, particularly slow walkthrough solves, and just watch how they fingertrick different cases. See if you can copy what they're doing, or at least try to incorporate some of their moves into your own algs.

Last edited:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is no longer considered good advice. More often these days people are saying "get a good cube and stick with it". The only thing an old clunky cube will do is give you "cuber's wrist". Just use a modern cube.
When I say "older cube" I mean one that turns easily but doesn't have the same corner cutting as the most modern cubes and may also be slightly prone to popping. I have a guhong for this reason.

Definitely. When I first switched from being a lazy-wrist-turning-cube-solver to "speed solver", I had to retrain a lot of bad habits. Malkom might be lucky that he [/

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
When I say "older cube" I mean one that turns easily but doesn't have the same corner cutting as the most modern cubes and may also be slightly prone to popping. I have a guhong for this reason.

Definitely. When I first switched from being a lazy-wrist-turning-cube-solver to "speed solver", I had to retrain a lot of bad habits. Malkom might be lucky that he [/

The GuHong corner cuts well. It does reverse. It does pop unless you added tropedos like a lot of people did back when the LunHui came out. For an older cube for this purpose a better choice is one of the speedcubes people used before the GuHong. But they're not availble any more. Plus how effietive is this. I find that I will now do some finger tricks which on my Zhanchi which is very loose that just don't work anymore it pops. I have turn very differently on my old F-II. Slowly so I'm arrucate so and it doesn't pop.

Just slowly turning in a different and better way (using new fingertricks) is really the only way to change your turning style. It isn't quick. But you can't acomplish what you want quickly.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
The GuHong corner cuts well. It does reverse. It does pop unless you added tropedos like a lot of people did back when the LunHui came out. For an older cube for this purpose a better choice is one of the speedcubes people used before the GuHong. But they're not availble any more. Plus how effietive is this. I find that I will now do some finger tricks which on my Zhanchi which is very loose that just don't work anymore it pops. I have turn very differently on my old F-II. Slowly so I'm arrucate so and it doesn't pop.
Admittedly an F-II would be better but I have a guhong which i took the torpedoes out of and left on pretty loose tensions so you do have to be pretty accurate.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Admittedly an F-II would be better but I have a guhong which i took the torpedoes out of and left on pretty loose tensions so you do have to be pretty accurate.

I was refrencing the GuHong v1. Going very slowly forcing yourslef to turn differently is still the best aproach in my opionion. I have put a litte work in using my pinky instead of ring for OH. It's not much fun and affects cube rotations. The way to changes is to go slowly and repeat over and over and over while slowly speeding up.

M

Malkom

I think i will upload a video in a few days so you can give me some more "personal" critique and not just general advice