• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

F2l

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
The search bar is your best friend. After searching “lookahead”, and filtering by posts made by me, here’s and handful of things that I personally have said on lookahead; opening it up to all posts on lookahead would grant you even more, maybe better, advice. The only reason to make a separate thread for help is if you have something specific to you, rather than just the broad “how to lookahead”, or “how to improve”, or “how do I get better at LL”.

Lookahead posts:
(you gave basically no information, so this is all very general. It also assumes you use CFOP)

Practice your F2L and the flow of it, try to eliminate pauses, even if that means turning a bit slower

Make sure you have good solutions for all F2L cases. There are plenty of good resources with the best F2L solutions, so go look at some of those. Maybe learn some algs for more complicated cases

If you haven’t already, start working on full PLL and then full OLL. You don’t necessarily *need* them to be sub-20, but they make it easier. Personally, I learned full PLL at around 22-25 sec average, and full OLL at around 15-18 sec average, but the sooner you start the better.

Also, if you’re not going to give us any information so that we can give you advice specific to you, then I’d recommend finding the many many many comprehensive guides on your exact question. J Perm has a great YouTube series on “How to be Sub-X” as well as many good videos on how to improve your F2L at different levels. There are also countless good guides on this forum that you can look at for good information (some are quite old but they still have useful info and tips)

If you want some advice specific to you, I’d recommend recording and posting an Average of 5 that is roughly normal for you. That way someone can analyze your solves and actually give you targeted advice

That depends on what your current F2L looks like, but overall I’d say learn to elimiate pauses by looking ahead, which basically means to look for what you’re gonna solve as your next pair and where the pieces are while solving the current pair. Slow down your turning to the point where you can eliminate pausing altogether. Then you can slowly ramp up the turning speed as you get better and better at lookahead.

Also, in addition to improving your F2L ”flow” via lookahead, it’s also important to improve your efficiency, as I previously talked about:

And again, there’s plenty of great resources on how to improve your F2L and on how to be sub 20. I highly reccomend youtuber “J Perm”.

Try to turn a bit slower and look ahead to what you’re going to solve next. Do slow solves where you turn as slow as you need in order to not pause at all. Then you can work on turning faster while maintaining lookahead

In order to be able to do this, you need to be able to solve any F2L case with your eyes closed. If you can’t do that, you can’t lookahead. To learn this, literally try locating a pair, closing your eyes, and solve the pair.

Once you’re able to do this consistently (like 95%+ success rate), you can start looking ahead, which is basically just solving one pair and looking and finding your next pair, that way you don’t have to pause.

To actually learn and improve at lookahead, do slow solves. Basically just solve slowly and don’t pause. Turn as slowly as you need to not pause at all. Then slowly speed up your turning over time to increase your lookahead.

Last edited: