• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
How much do you reckon you would spend going to a typical competition of this standard if you only really planned on going there and chilling/competing in the first round and failing so you have nothing else to do but watch and hope for world records? I would say I could definitely be prepared to spend £500. I'm not planning on being touristy btw, and ryanair tend to get you anywhere in europe in one piece (barely I might add) for next to nothing!

blakedacuber

Premium Member
WCA
2010BOWE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How much do you reckon you would spend going to a typical competition of this standard if you only really planned on going there and chilling/competing in the first round and failing so you have nothing else to do but watch and hope for world records? I would say I could definitely be prepared to spend £500. I'm not planning on being touristy btw, and ryanair tend to get you anywhere in europe in one piece (barely I might add) for next to nothing!

Dude thats my plan too:p ryan air tickets will probably at most cost max 50€ return id say hotel max €100 per night say 4 nights and then 50 - 100 quid for spending yeah it do-able;)

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd have no bother sharing either like man. With anyone tbh. Forget hotels, hostels would do me fine lol. I hear they are liberal with vodka in Poland, my friends were at a wedding there. We could have an over 18s competition - shot of vodka after each stage (cross etc.). An average of 5 would be hellish lol

hcfong

WCA
2011FONG02
You are grossly overestimating the accommodation prices in Poland :). If you're willing to share a dorm in a hostel with others, you can have a bed for €10 a night.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok will ask parents tonight. For a second I forgot I was just a kid and I worked out I can easily afford to go by myself... Then realised, I can't go by myself.

Edit: Oh and *European Championship 2012

Last edited:

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01

A continental/world championship is not only a high-level competition, it's also a huge meetup with lots of good cubers from everywhere in the continent/world. You'll definitely enjoy it even if you stand no chance of getting farther than first round.

scotzbhoy

WCA
2009COGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I will definitely try to go to this. Hopefully I'll be working a lot over the summer, so it should be affordable. I'll wait until there's more information on the website before making a definite decision.

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
A continental/world championship is not only a high-level competition, it's also a huge meetup with lots of good cubers from everywhere in the continent/world. You'll definitely enjoy it even if you stand no chance of getting farther than first round.

I know, I'm psyched about it! I will practice my ass off over the summer if I know I can go. Just to be able to make the first round cut would be awesome but honestly I don't think so lol

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can't make this one. Owell.
No because we can't afford it (for all our family to go) although I can. Also next year it's GCSE year so I need to start studying and stop cubing (yes, althogether apparently)- although I'm top in the class for almost all subjects at school.

Yes, their second response really pissed me off indeed, the first is true and understandable.

Last edited:

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I agree, I did tell them that once when I said I really want to do ICT (because it's fun and I'm good at it) and my parents just got angry and irrational where they tried to say something back and it made no sense, yet just days before my dad got mad at me for not being able to fix his ipad (and for me having a go at him after for his reaction). Am I too young to understand what goes on in parents' minds? Or hypocrisy? Hm.

Anyway please forgive me if my 'rants' are annoying to anyone (or off-topic, yeah i promise no more) It's pretty serious to me and I'm just thinking aloud really.

Last edited:

MalusDB

YouTube
Visit Channel
@5BLD
Sounds more like you have strict parents, but even pretty lax parents probably wouldnt let you head off to poland on your own when you are (I assume roughly) 15 years old. Mines wouldn't have, and my parents were definitely relatively chilled lol. Is there any people who are older that are involved in cubing that your parents know of/trust? Maybe if they vouch for you you could get your parents convinced. You could actually compete for prizes like, its a waste for you not being there IMO :/

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Eh, I'm not gonna bother to convince them. I could probably go with some other older cuber I know (e.g. Kir) but they'll probably find some other flaw in the plan. If they won't let us as a family go using one valid and one irrational reason, I don't see why they'd let me go with somebody else. You're right, 15 is fairly young tbh, although I'm an independent guy, if I somehow mess up I'd be screwed- I understand why they might be worried.

They're not strict. They're just weird. So, so weird. They enjoy telling me why must suggestions will not work, and fail to come up with their own, etc. What a shame though, it would've been a lot of fun and it's possible I could get a fairly high ranking :/

Agh, see you at the next UK comp after WSMO... hope one day euros is in UK or France.

Last edited:

scotzbhoy

WCA
2009COGH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Eh, I'm not gonna bother to convince them. I could probably go with some other older cuber I know (e.g. Kir) but they'll probably find some other flaw in the plan. If they won't let us as a family go using one valid and one irrational reason, I don't see why they'd let me go with somebody else. You're right, 15 is fairly young tbh, although I'm an independent guy, if I somehow mess up I'd be screwed- I understand why they might be worried.

They're not strict. They're just weird. So, so weird. They enjoy telling me why must suggestions will not work, and fail to come up with their own, etc. What a shame though, it would've been a lot of fun and it's possible I could get a fairly high ranking :/

Agh, see you at the next UK comp after WSMO... hope one day euros is in UK or France.
You could try explaining to them that the last World Championships were won with an average of 8.65 seconds, and that you're capable of getting those sort of times (not accounting for any possible improvements resulting from a lot of practise over the summer) and so have a chance of winning the tournament and 1000 euro (at least) prize money?

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You could try explaining to them that the last World Championships were won with an average of 8.65 seconds, and that you're capable of getting those sort of times (not accounting for any possible improvements resulting from a lot of practise over the summer) and so have a chance of winning the tournament and 1000 euro (at least) prize money?

They didn't listen :/
I've gotten way faster than 8.65 avg5s... they don't care... :(
and odam 1000 € is delicious. owel. fml.